Dutch court finds rounded corners on Samsung tablets don't infringe on Apple's design
0. phoneArena 16 Jan 2013, 10:55 posted on
A court in the Hague ruled in favor of Samsung in a case involving the rounded corners of the Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9, and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7.; Samsung's defense appears to have been based on the theory of prior art as it said that the " origins of Apple's design can be found in numerous examples"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. _Bone_ (Posts: 2104; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
The Stanley Kubrick Foundantion should be rewarded at least 400 billion Dollars by Apple, Samsung and Asus for inventing the tablet.
13. -box- (Posts: 3714; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Or the Ancient Egypt Artifact Preservation Society, since they were using tablets back then...
I thing the concept.of electronic tablets predated even 2001:ASO
23. abdane (Posts: 474; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
i'd suggest that sammy would do its tablets' future designs same as the Nexus 10, i mean the design is awesome... better than the GTab and the iPad...
20. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
I wonder where the round corners of iDevices are inspired from and yesterday somebody told me butts :P
2. windroid (unregistered)
How stupid the accusation of "copying the rounded corner" can be?
25. tedkord (Posts: 4288; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It is by sane people. And those who have seen the Knight-Ridder tablet the iPad was stolen from.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Just as stupid as filing a patent for "the wheel."
10. TritonForceX (Posts: 57; Member since: 27 Sep 2012)
Yeah, that caveman is owed a LOT of money!
8. Joker (Posts: 24; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
On the same level as that ludacrous "Slide to Unlock" patent
Apple must have never seen a bra or a door latch (back in the days) when they filed the patent
4. Darkrai (Posts: 7; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
Rounded-corners patents?Kiddin me?
5. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5464; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Good news, seems that Dutch court is adequate.
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Well that's not shocking news. Everyone knows Apple is going to lose court cases outside the US because judges in foreign countries know BS from legitimate patents and evidence.
Samsung: 1 Apple: 0
9. Bernoulli (Posts: 1433; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
That justice may prevail in the end- come on I really don't like Apple because of that, I used to have a Sony Ericsson Walkman and it was a rectangular device with round corners, look it up, if that's the case then we should all be paying rotalties to alcatel for the first phone with rectangular shape with round corners
11. windroid (unregistered)
I had many years ago a Palm Pilot Z22 with the same rounded corners... glad they did not filled for that patent in those days.
14. wildcard (Posts: 65; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
went will apple will stop doing this crap like their phone went. An then l like to see what will happin about the tv sue everyone hellooo
15. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2993; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Mxyzptlk...you can stop hidding now.
You can show us how the rounded corners are copied by Samsung...
24. rusticguy (Posts: 2820; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Well he/she would say It's harshly unfair judgment :)
17. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
I feel that every country that rules aagainst apple is smarter then the US :-(
18. networkdood (Posts: 6250; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
really, no kidding...but, I guess only in America...
22. techguy22 (Posts: 226; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
wow. us, Americans are so smart. and we rewarded rounded corners patent to a company that didnt invent it and rewarded them 1B dollar in court too. we are so smart. :(
29. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1210; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Etch-A-Scetch have a rectangular design with rounded corners and a screen?
All sarcasm aside, this is where the patent system has really gone astray. Technology patents are one thing, but patenting a basic shape (rectangle with rounded corners) that we see everyday is boneheaded. If they want a design patent, it should have to included everything, bezel width, button shape and their placement, sensor and camera location, and the design must include front AND back, and for infringement to occur it must be copied EXACTLY as it is in it's entirety.
Just saying rectangle with rounded corners and a screen is extremely vague. It's like getting a patent for a personal enclosed conveyance and leaving it at that. That would've destroyed the car,truck, RV, yacht, small airplane, and helicopter industries in one shot.
30. PhoneAddiction (Posts: 77; Member since: 07 Nov 2012)
Well said. Now can we stop all the bickering about how these companies suck? Let them innovate and over charge us. Lol
31. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1210; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
You're probably right. There's a possibility they may innovate, but there's no doubt they're gonna overcharge us.