Drop test puts tough against tougher: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 vs iPhone 5s
0. phoneArena 11 Oct 2013, 06:48 posted on
After surviving two out of three drops in its first drop test, the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stars in another extreme phone survival video where it gets compared against Apple’s latest and greatest, the iPhone 5s…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9810; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I think we have just found the new Nokia 3310. Note 3 is a TANK!
16. JDogg5281 (Posts: 64; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Those old nokia phones couldnt be killed. A friend of mine use to play heads or tails with his nokia phone
31. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9810; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That's got to be the funniest thing I've read all morning.
18. Damitel (Posts: 66; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
Enough said, in note 3 we trust! Strong, beautiful, durable, functional, feature-packed, fun, more than a companion, affordable and above all, the hope to smart phone evolution especially the note series. All hail the king!!!
19. sniper1087 (Posts: 451; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
Wait what affordable? Is over 750 unlocked, that is not affordable, and the design is interesting too big for my taste and I still dont like touchwiz, needs a refresh on that.
32. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9810; Member since: 14 May 2012)
That's your opinion. I agree with him. Note 3 is simply flawless across the board.
41. DaHarder (Posts: 175; Member since: 10 Oct 2009)
I finally received my Galaxy Note 3 + Galaxy Gear combo yesterday and am very, very impressed.
The Note 3 improves upon everything when compared to my (former) Note 2, with the new display being truly something to behold, and the Galaxy Gear is simply a brilliantly engineered/built device that only needs a more robust app selection/software tweak or two to be a true game-changer.
The only issue that I'm having with my Note 3 is that it appears that it no longer allows user 'Home Screen' replacements (e.g. SPB Shell, 3D) to be set as the default... Anyone else having this issue?
50. Doakie (Posts: 1641; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Wait. I'm confused. It won't allow you to run custom launchers? So no Nova Launcher? LAME, that's totally a deal breaker.
52. pham818 (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Jan 2014)
you can, i'm running APEX launcher right now
30. Tommy1960i (Posts: 106; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
We played soccer with those nokia phones. They are very tough.
33. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9810; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If only phones were able to talk and describe the abuse they've been through lol...
38. HansGoneInsane (unregistered)
Interesting results because I thought a bigger screen is more susceptible to damage. But there is one thing that is not alright with the test. They obviously tested the phones on two different days (look at the weather and clothes of the testers). Even though I don't deny the test results, I'd like to see them testing the devices together.
39. AnTuTu (Posts: 1312; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
I wanna c faces of iFans now hahahaha
Note 3 is a real Beast.
42. timepilot84 (Posts: 110; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Sweet! Send me to Heaven, here I come!
44. akki20892 (Posts: 3783; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
i guess, note 3 is speaking nokia 3310's language.
3. twens (Posts: 849; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Premium materials my foot. Americans nug too much. Plastic will be and will always be durable than glass and metal.Mtcheewwwww.....Loving my note 3
13. iDroidWin (Posts: 117; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
I agree with this one. I personally dislike Aluminium. It gets heated pretty easily and is not scratch resistant. I like glass like apple has on 4, 4S and Sony on Z1 (not durable though, but good to hold). HTC blindly followed the trend and most reviewers went crazy about aluminium giving premium feel. And suddenly, experience aspect of the material was ignored in those reviews in favor of "feel". I tried using friend's iPhone 5. But after small duration of heavy usage, I could barely hold the phone. Same is the case with my flat mate's iPhone. Nokia in this regard has done a great job of making a durable phone, without compromising on aesthetics (in terms of material) and comfortable to use.
I am glad Samsung, Moto, Nokia, Google (Nexus) and Sony are not accepting Aluminium as a material to build their phone. It just doesn't work.
20. sniper1087 (Posts: 451; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
The Z1 got dropped and while after 3 drops didnt work because of the insides, the glass front, and back glass never shattered, and not because of a lip, all because of dragontrail glass.
17. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1639; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
It's funny that you use two different terms, then equate them. Premium does not always mean durable. The 5s is pretty durable, but it uses premium materials. The Note 3 is durable, but it does not use premium materials. The first, second, and third functions of these phones are not to be dropped.
23. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
You know it's funny because I said the same thing about the 5. Because we all know coming out the box with dents,scratches, and getting bent out of shape is soooo premium and durable. Don't let me bring up the iPhone 4 and the about of money apple made on just repairs alone on that phone. I can't find the article but it was on this site and it featured the amount of repair cost apple made on I phones. The amount is staggering.
34. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9810; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Aluminum is cheaper than polycarbonate lol. Please use a Note 3 in person before making irrational judgments on it.
37. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
You didn't correct my grammar mistakes in my comment smurf.....you sleep bro?
43. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9810; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I found a total of seven errors in your post. I'm feeling nice today, so I'll let it slide.
4. aayupanday (Posts: 553; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Android Authority do drop tests better portraying real life scenarios...
5. nestea (unregistered)
hmm that guy does know nothing about note 3. Back cover isnt leather, it is plastic. And note 3 sides are made from plastic, he cant even say is it metal or plastic….lol
7. shuaibhere (Posts: 1927; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
plastic is cheap....specifically the one samsung uses...that vid proved it all....
8. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Definitely! Hail premium aluminium!
9. umadden (banned) (Posts: 90; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
And your comment just proved you are a retard
10. shuaibhere (Posts: 1927; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
and your comment proves you just can't accept the fact..
25. shuaibhere (Posts: 1927; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
you're acting like kid here...you are too dumb to understand my comment..
28. SleepingOz (unregistered)
sarcasm dude, sarcasm..
14. Volcra (Posts: 21; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Other companies use the same plastic as Samsung (Polycarbonate plastic)... That includes Apple too... FYI
So what fact are you trying to prove? Apple uses cheap materials too? Genius...
21. sniper1087 (Posts: 451; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
There is a difference if you held the iphone 5C as other companies reported, it feels different from samsung's plastic, it actually feels very sturdy and I held both and you can tell the difference.
22. sniper1087 (Posts: 451; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
We need stanless steel, the 4/ has it and even though it shattered, never heard somebody complained the metal part getting a dent from a drop, of course there might be issues with the radios to go through the metal, but im sure they will figure something out.
27. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
I would say that aluminum is just as cheap. It the machining of aluminum that cost the money. If your not perfect you will encounter returns for nicks and scratches. The cuts on the iphone 5/5s edges are made with precision equipment. Making a plastic phone is cheaper than making a metal one.
24. JMartin22 (Posts: 1607; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
As much as I love the Note 3 and I think iPhones are overrated, the results of these tests were solely based on luck. There's no guarantee either phone would have survived another drop test like that. It also depends on what type of surface you're dropping it on; whether or not the surface is smooth or uneven will play a major role.
These drop tests never say anything scientific or conclusive about these phones; all of which the exterior are made up of more than 50% of shatter-prone glass.
29. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1313; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Well if you put it that way the Note 3 was lucky 3 out 3 times while the iPhone 5s was lucky 1 out of 3 times in this test. I have a iPhone 5s and I never go naked with that phone. I'm rocking a pink and white speck candyshell I got for $5 a few weeks ago. It looks girly as hell but it has the right amount of protection without being big.
36. laheelahee (Posts: 213; Member since: 09 Apr 2012)
when i drop my phone, the result IS based on luck. that seems scientific enough for me ;)
26. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1013; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
I am very surprised that the Note 3 survived their test. Ive seen their previous videos and theyve been brutal lol. After this drop test, lets me know that the Note 3 is worth buying not only because of the features and the S-Pen, but also because of the durability. Id still buy a case for the phone tho
40. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
this premium shenanigans is started by htc. irony is that their "premium" one flagship doesn't survive a drop test and is unrepairable. the title needs an addition "and the toughest ; lumia 920" (just watch its drop test and being used as a hammer and enjoy)
45. johnny2013 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
RWaswall the comments but I just have the say sams just not plastic,material on Sammy is what they use on Lamborghinis. I was brought up on iPhones, Samsung note1 was my first Android. Apple just not worth it any more for it Labour. Now I'm note 3 still tuff. ..
47. -box- (Posts: 3968; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Well, we know Samsung was taking tech from Nokia, now we know part of what they took.
48. SlimSoulja86 (Posts: 650; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Okay, not funny, overused. Go ready "Stand Up Comedians for Dummies"
49. johnny2013 (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
Every smartphone has its shady side to them. But the most overrated phone is a Apple. Sammys note 3 is what it is the 'best Android' today and the functions are so easy on the Note bad ass 3
51. MSCCAG (Posts: 14; Member since: 12 Nov 2013)
with the 4-corner strongthen design for iPhone5s ,gives better protector .also with full-wrapped the screen. effect protect the screen.follow this factory. it is the right case.