Does the iPhone 5 suffer from light leakage?
0. phoneArena 24 Sep 2012, 09:39 posted on
Oh dear, after the reports of some iPhone 5 devices arriving with scratches on the metal framing and back out of the box (bonus feature?), it looks like some owners of the white version are now experiencing a little bit of light leakage from the top end of their brand new smartphones...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
29. Aeires (unregistered)
Wouldn't be surprised if there were more issues to come. Rushed production, switched manufacturers of key components, and moved forward the release date, people are crazy if they think there won't be issues with this model.
If you can live with the issues, it's not a problem. If it impacts performance, take it back.
32. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Wouldn't be surprised if there were more issues to come."
I also think that it is only beginning.
30. shandesilva (Posts: 73; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
what did you expect?....its an apple device...! :)
31. nlbates66 (Posts: 311; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
i don't like apple, but honestly can't see this sort of thing being a deal breaker at all....
though I haven't had any sort of light leakage of this kind on my LG BG2100, Sony Ericsson K550i, Samsung Wave or Galaxy Gio yet.
even so, hardly worth mentioning as an issue i'd think.
but that's me.
37. BattleBrat (Posts: 1151; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Hmmm, That 4s I just bought keeps looking better and better.
44. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5922; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Especially if your iP4S has iOS v. 5 (with Google Maps).
49. StephenGalop (Posts: 52; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Especially when you get lost with iOS 6 maps
55. BattleBrat (Posts: 1151; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
1. I'm sticking with iOS5
2. I'm not actually using it as a phone, it is a glorified iTouch. My RAZR IS and WILL be my phone until MOTO releases a Quad core or flagship intel phone next year. FIRST AND FOREMOST I'M A MOTO MAN!!!
40. mclifford81 (Posts: 69; Member since: 26 Jan 2010)
Yes it does, it is also easy to scratch. That's just the beginning of the issues however, the new ios 6 has a ton of problems too.
54. CheerfulCharlie (Posts: 13; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Lo, and behold!! And here we all just thought it was apple's GLORY shining through, again.
56. zekes (Posts: 212; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
so i get 2 red bec my iphone dont have light leak
57. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
im glad PA is posting all the bad things that could go wrong with this phone... before i purchase mine i'm DEFINITELY going to have them inspect all these issues in front of me...
i'll tell you what... there wont be an android in my pocket tho...lol
59. StephenGalop (Posts: 52; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Glad you know :) Now get a Nokia Lumia 920
61. Apple_Royally_ (banned) (Posts: 42; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Glad to know:) Apple will be fixing it very soon, also refunds and exchange utmost: iPhone5, Like no others...!
63. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5497; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Seems that Apple already knew about build quality problems even before release but they just dont care about that...
"Foxconn Worker Claims New iPhone 5 is Poorly Made"
64. jibraihimi (Posts: 695; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
Maybe apple was trying to put iTorch feature in iPhone 5, but at the last moment scraped their desicion, or maybe gap was left for iHologram feature about which all the ifans are dreaming since eternity............ :)
But whatever, one thing is sure Steve jobs might be turning in his grave with furious speed, on seeing all this blunders associated with iPhone 5, first iLost by iMap feature, then iScratch feature and now ileak feature. If Steve Jobs gets one day to come out of grave, then he will surely come out to kich the A** of everyone associated with these blunder.............
66. remixfa (Posts: 14080; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
considering how easily that bezel seems to bend and dent, you could probably just give it a few light taps with a small hammer and seal it up.
75. GoBears (Posts: 375; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Sorry, on an eight hundred dollar device it is a VERY big deal.
77. remixfa (Posts: 14080; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i think its only really a big deal in the sense that...
1) your paying 800 for a damn phone.. whats wrong with you!?!?!
2) light getting out means water can get in.
81. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
You are looking at it from wrong angle. If you watch correctly there will be no light ...
84. bkb01 (Posts: 43; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
the best anodized aluminum device ive used was the nokia n8.now that phone was built like a tank it ..i always thought that all anodized aluminum devices would be tough, basing from my experience with the n8,(its with the missus now since she loves the camera) it often fell alot of times but up to now never had any scratches. Is the iphone 5 really using anodized aluminum?
86. psigate (Posts: 9; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Oh pleeeeaaazzzeee Apple will simply say other phones suffer the same thing then give out free cases and everyones happy ;)
87. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I so wouldn't be surprised if there was a 3rd prob with the new iPhone, or should I say the D-fective phone?!?!?
Hah, I couldn't resist (BTW- last 2 words stand for the Dphone) ;)>
90. sidis2cool4u (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Sep 2011)
ladies and gentlemen this is our brand new feature.today apple reinvents the mobile torch
91. 10aera (Posts: 31; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
Instead of sending a case for losing phone signal problems... they will send it for losing screen light problems...he, he... well, if apple is cleaver enough they will promote as a built in linterna...
92. evil_slayer (Posts: 50; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
this and the scratches article are to all the people who keeps telling me about the quailty build of the iphones :D
93. pongkie (Posts: 505; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
its their laser light key board and holographic projector. I've seen it on Fox News!!!!
apple is so innovative
96. DonMateo28 (Posts: 14; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
Why is that they only post articles and issues whenever there a new IPHONE lol, like every single device on this site doesn't have there own issues lol
99. nicholassss (Posts: 355; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Usually they do, remember when the GS3 was cracking around the camera/ edges of the battery cover.
101. Cabessius (Posts: 8; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Hey, PA, still keeping 9 out of 10 rating?
Still waiting for my glorious Note2, unfairly rated the same, 9/10.
102. liguidez (Posts: 1; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
If Apple is going to be claiming that "never before have [they] a built product with this extraordinary level of fit and finish" then we have every right to expect just that--I don't think its nitpicking at all, as some people have come to suggest. iPhone 5s allegedly coming out of the box with scratches already present or allegedly exhibiting light leakage doesn't exactly sound like an extraordinary level of fit and finish. If the iPhone 5 is a result of "manufacturing processes that are [Apple's] most complex and ambitious" yet, then perhaps they should consider reverting back to their old manufacturing processes. In my opinion, the should've just left the design as was, slap on a 4.3 inch screen, and called it a day.
103. jscipher (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
i don't seem to have encountered that problem & neither have my friends.