Does the Sony Xperia Z1 Compact have a plastic back instead of a glass one?
0. phoneArena 08 Feb 2014, 22:20 posted on
The extremely popular Sony Xperia Z1 Compact shares many of its specs with the full-sized Sony Xperia Z1. But there are differences with the size and resolution of the screen on the two devices. The full-sized Xperia Z1 carries a 5 inch screen with a 1080 x 1920 resolution, while the compact model brings a 4.3 inch panel with resolution of 720 x1280. The battery on the full sized model weighs in at 3000mAh while the Xperia Z1 Compact is powered by a 2300mAh cell...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Somebody smash theirs so we can find out.
3. Kaiser2007 (Posts: 173; Member since: 16 Nov 2013)
If it's not broken, then it's not glass. I prefer plastic back.
8. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
It has a non-removable back, so I'd rather have glass. Just saying.
14. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 1157; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
Anything that feels nice to touch is okay (regardless of material)
20. papss (unregistered)
I agree.. I really don't care what the material as long as it feels nice and sony almost always does good in this area
16. buccob (Posts: 2491; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
If its more resilient to cracks I actually prefer plastic.
Scratch protectors can handle front and back, without case for me...
I only need a wrist lanyard... something missing in many other phones
19. garlic456 (Posts: 251; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
If no one could be able to find it out then there is no visual and physical difference. So there isnt anything to complain
27. buccob (Posts: 2491; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I was agreeing with your comment completely...
4. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1230; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
This is a plus for me. It just got more durable without any sacrifice.
5. buccob (Posts: 2491; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
You are not going to ruin this for me!!!!
I already knew about the glare in low light photographs + led flash... and I already knew about the possibility that the back cover is some sort of plastic instead of glass...
BUT I will get this phone!!! (hopefully revised version)
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I'd hold off. MWC is around the corner.
12. imMature (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
I don't think there will be any mini flagships at MWC this year..
6. XperiaOptimusOne (unregistered)
Either way it's still a geat device.
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10409; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Plastic with Sony? NO it can't be! Sony only uses glass unlike Samsung!
I like how they changed their wording though.
25. Remmy (Posts: 112; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Agree. But Xperias with plastic still feel nice though, not cheap at all. :)
10. sinple (Posts: 130; Member since: 04 Nov 2011)
maybe they change it to plastic to solve the LED problem
11. imMature (Posts: 87; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
Maybe they need to cut down the production cost to give the device a lower selling price. Knowing that the Z1 Compact costs almost the same as the original Z1 is quite shocking to me. I was really looking forward to own the device, replacing my Nexus 4..
13. Leonis (Posts: 338; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
How is it shocking? It got the same specs but smaller screen. Waterproof and dust proof. Something many phones doesn't get. If smaller screens should cost less then tablets should cost even more. They are cheaper than most phones.
15. Feanor (Posts: 663; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
I played with the phone long time yesterday in a shop and the back seemed identical to the back of the Z1 that was standing next to it (both functional, both white). I didn't see any difference.
17. anleoflippy (Posts: 595; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
I've played with at at a Sony Centre and the feel is the same with the Z1 so hey I'm not complaining.
18. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2067; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Plastic is a more durable material than glass since it won't break on dropping. Even if the Z1 Compact is made of plastic, its still a great phone as it offers high end specs on a compact/smaller size, hence appealing to people who prefer small screen phones (like me).
21. yeah_mike (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Feb 2014)
So suppose my phone takes a tumble down some stairs. The phone is ruined because the front glass LCD breaks but hurray at least the plastic back will still be intact...
I think most of the anger is directed at Sony's false advertising. If they didn't claim the back was glass there would be fewer angry people right now. Of course "Hi, we're Sony, check out our new premium phone with a plastic back (just like Samsung!)" doesn't make very good advertising...