Does the Google I/O 2012 app show off a little of Jelly Bean?
While it is not much, the Google search bar used on the app is different than the one used on Android 4.0 leading to some speculation that what we see on the app, and in the photo of it, is Jelly Bean, the next Android build starting with Android 4.1. Unlike the transparent search bar seen in Ice Cream Sandwich, the one on the app is opaque. It could be an early look at Android 4.1 or merely a nice new design for the Google search box. But what better time to start raising the curtain on the next build of Android than during the two days of the year when Google has the the complete attention of developers.
So what do you think? Is it a sneak peek at Jelly Bean or just a minor refresh to the Google search bar?
The Google search box for Android 4.0 (L) and a close up of the search box on the Google IO 2012 app
1. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
I remember when there was a jar of jellybean at CES if I wasn't mistaken. I call a yes.
2. Ubi2447 (Posts: 131; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
I don't see how it couldn't be. I thought it is pretty well decided that this will probably be an update that doesn't effect much of the UI and focuses mostly on software tweeks. A bit of a tease from them wouldn't be that far fetched at this point. even if it is something subtle.
btw...How can the time be 25:10?
6. ARITRA (Posts: 43; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
"btw...How can the time be 25:10??"
now you know "men in black" are real and in any moment nw you will see a white flash of light in front of your eyes:P
11. rasinhussy (Posts: 87; Member since: 28 Dec 2008)
I wonder if there will be a surprise announcement on the 25th at 10am.
15. mas11 (Posts: 1030; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I enjoy all those little hints Google gives. I bet both the search bar theory and rasinhussy's announcement theory are both correct.
3. fongy (Posts: 41; Member since: 09 Feb 2010)
I think this is one thing that Android will have over iOS or Winmo - and that is that not only does its functionality and power grow with each iteration, but it also LOOKS and FEELS different....
It just feels like other OSs appear stagnant in comparison, despite the annual updates they receive...especially iOS...
As an owner of an Android phone and an iPad - I have to say that iOS is not nearly as intuitive as Apple would have you believe, and it looks plain dated / boring...
Definitely a refresh or the ability to customise its look is needed!!!
7. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
well not every build
was cupcake to donut a major look/feel update
what about 3.1 to 3.2 either
what about eclair to froyo '
all those updates werent looks and feels update, they were functiononality and power grow updates
I have to agree with you that major updates, 1.0, 2.1, 3.0, 4.0 those were looks and feels different
8. jove39 (Posts: 1302; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Talking of screen cues -
1. gtalk and phone app are in folder...does that mean gtalk calls will be integrated with native phone app?
2. and chrome will be default browser?
9. jove39 (Posts: 1302; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
And of course...day is no longer limited to 24 hrs :)
10. ap1989 (Posts: 145; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
i still like the ICS search bar better than the Jelly Bean's
12. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5620; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i'm fine with either but i like the voice search icon on the supposed Jelly Bean version of the search bar more though.
14. dmckay12 (Posts: 243; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
It is translucent not opaque. The search widget in older android versions was opaque.