Do you listen to FM radio on your phone?
0. phoneArena 17 Apr 2013, 04:44 posted on
It has probably come to your attention that Samsung decided to release its newest flagship smartphone, the Galaxy S4, without a built-in FM radio. While the company tried to explain this decision with the fact that its customers tend to use more digital services nowadays, this kind of sounds strange, because Samsung is used to providing its customers with options, even though many may not need them...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. nobelset (Posts: 270; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
No harm in adding fm option, what if there was an alien invasion by aliens who like eating submarine communications cables and the only way to communicate is through radio? Yea, that's a stupid example but you get the general idea.
28. akki20892 (Posts: 3901; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
35. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
I want a FM transmitter, not receiver though. I need it for my car audio system. And, only my old Symbian phones have it.
39. weinerslav (Posts: 126; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
I want both, but have to agree that the transmitter is the one that I want (and use) more
2. TreyTreyTaylor (Posts: 679; Member since: 21 Dec 2010)
Last phone I had with FM Radio was my DROID X. Kinda forgot about it after my nexus and note 2. It'd be nice to have though....
3. tiara6918 (Posts: 2042; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
I use the fm radio when I already get sick of the songs on my phone
4. abdane (Posts: 494; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
hahaha same comment i was about to write ! ^_^
25. Ohrules (Posts: 327; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
and when you are without tv and want to listen to cricket commentary on the radio
5. windroid (unregistered)
Just didn't bought a WP already because the FM radio is still to be released by MS.
32. snowgator (Posts: 3596; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Which is beyond stupid, and proves the trend, because my Samsung WP 7 has the radio, and I have used it from time to time. Would miss the option.
42. windroid (unregistered)
Because the base of WP8 is completely different from WP7, it wasn't just a case to migrate the radio functionality to the new platform.
MS assumed it just hadn't time to develop the radio in WP8.
6. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Radio simply gives you the option to listen on the trending music. The most listened, the top 10,20,100. New singles, new release, new albums. Pretty much any news from your favorite celebrities and artist. It has been in our life ever since it was created. And we can listen for free without using data or wifi. I guess it shouldn't hurt anyone to include in the package. :)
7. hipnotika (Posts: 353; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
poor s4 :) it hasnt got any fm radio :( ooo my littleeee sweetieee
9. eliasafram7 (Posts: 83; Member since: 18 Mar 2013)
poor iphone it hadn't got any FM radio since the first iphone ;)
11. hipnotika (Posts: 353; Member since: 06 Mar 2013)
poor i-fan :) it hadn't got any brain :)
10. wendygarett (unregistered)
Nope, I don't need to
22. recond9 (Posts: 50; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
Dude,don't say your opinion here anymore...the trolls will make you 'bleed' from these thumbs.. lol
43. windroid (unregistered)
Now we all know what's the deal with samsung:
I'm interested to know how much samsung is paying you to troll WP topics.
12. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I basicall dont listen to the radio. Now and days todays music kinda sucks. So i listen too old tracks from the 90s-2003 & the late 80s. Only download a new song if it have a good beat
13. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3870; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I agree with the music part... Music these days are spoiled by the remix and all that party beats and stuff! I don't call that music...
And i'm quite surprised these polls came out after the S4 has been released!
Call it co-incidence but i don't like it. First the uni-body versus the removable battery cover and now devices with the FM versus devices without FM.
14. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
I have samsung galaxy nexus which has no fm radio but if it did, i'd use it from time to time.
15. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Yes, I do, they play many latest trending songs! FM radio rocks! Everything you want to listen is all inside the radio, American pop, K-pop etc.
FM radio rocks! :D
16. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
I say turn off fm radio all together and sell the bandwidth to better 4G services or in preperation of 5G services
17. karas (Posts: 78; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
Why dont these manufactures read phone arena polls?
18. pookiewood (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
I don't but my brother in law would. He got a L920 also and was hoping for iHeart Radio. Not sure why they ditched us. I told him the phone has built in FMand MS is going to enable it in an update.
19. Edison64 (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Apr 2013)
Is a big mistake to think that people only listen to the radio for music...!
20. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 987; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Nah, I don't listen Radio except when in my car and even then 90% of the time I play music from my phone through my Jeep's audio system, and only listen to FM Radio now and then, still though, I like to have my options!
21. recond9 (Posts: 50; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
If they remove it just because ''it's old and no one use it'' they've done a mistake.There are lots of people who use Fm everyday,especially on the third world countries (some will buy it there,eventually).Even I use it, because my WIFI isn't strong enough in the kitchen and i hook my s3 to the audio system everyday,for some radio love...
But then again... if they remove it for the space and other hardware things,i am fine. :)