Do budget tablets really need a rear camera?
0. phoneArena posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:18
Two weeks ago we had iOS 6, last week we had Windows Phone 8, and this week we kick it off with the Google Nexus 7, the first tablet with pure Google experience…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. andro. posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:20 12 2
The only dissadvantgae of not having a rear camera would be for ar games but they are very few and far between. Nobody except bizarre ifans would walk around using a tablet as a camera!
16. Non_Sequitur posted on 25 Jun 2012, 06:35 1 1
I don't know why, but I'd like to at LEAST have the option on my tablet. Besides, most tablets have them anyway.
18. andro. posted on 25 Jun 2012, 07:33 3 0
Yes most have them but most tablets cost at least twice the cost of the nexus tab and in fact are often of lower tech spec like processor etc. Thats the whole point of the nexus tab,high spec level but a minimal price due to mostly unused aspects like rear camera being left out. I would like to see a memory card slot though
23. bayusuputra posted on 25 Jun 2012, 09:05 0 0
the only thing i can think of is not games actually, but QR codes.. oh, and maybe AR?
27. Birds posted on 25 Jun 2012, 11:55 0 0
I'd be that weird person holding up my Asus Transformer TF-300 taking pictures at a parade (If I ever get one). lol I can think of some advantages of having such a tall photography device. lol
33. daniel_bargs posted on 26 Jun 2012, 03:12 0 0
at least u have an option. having no camera is a dealbreaker for me! i want all-in-one devices. i dont like carrying multiple devices when 1 stuff does it all. and you can use skype on both cameras! thats great!
2. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:21 9 1
Lol read any tablet review on this website and the tablet always gets marked down 2-3 points for having bad camera quality.
Tablets don't need cameras in general especially not rear cameras. I can somewhat understand a front facing camera for video chat but rear cameras no.
14. neutralguy posted on 25 Jun 2012, 05:30 2 0
This! I don't really get the use of the rear camera. I rather use the camera of Galaxy Y with 2MP than use an iPad for capturing moments. Why don't these manufacturers put that stunning rear camera in front. That's a win win. For most tablets are used for video calling/chatting.
32. Birds posted on 25 Jun 2012, 23:32 0 0
Lol, I can't help it but I need a camera on a tablet. I really do.....
3. pokharkarsaga posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:22 3 1
No,when it comes to budget price.rear camera is cost effective.
4. Sniggly posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:26 4 1
There should be a third option where we recognize the value of having a rear camera for some people but don't consider its absence to be a dealbreaker.
That said, I opted for the second choice.
5. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:26 7 1
I'll take a quad core tablet that costs only 200 vs 300 just for a stupid camera ill never use.
6. tiara6918 posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:31 4 1
Probably I'll only use the back camera of the tablet if I left my phone/camera at home. I rarely took photos on my tablet except if there's an app to use that requires it.
7. wendygarett posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:32 8 3
Who is that chick... Using iPad ? What a dumbass lol
17. shadowcell posted on 25 Jun 2012, 07:19 2 2
You're calling her an idiot yet you're asking if that is an iPad when the "apple" logo clearly is visible? You must be a genius.
19. -box- posted on 25 Jun 2012, 08:13 4 0
Grammatically speaking, her sentence could be read "Who is that chick [who is] using [an] ipad [for a camera]?. It isn't a question of the ipad, it's a question of who is silly enough to a: use the ipad as a camera b) who is silly enough to use it with a mirror and catch themselves in it and c) who doesn't know how to take a self-portrait with a front facing camera.
24. shadowcell posted on 25 Jun 2012, 09:14 2 0
Your comment definitely took the jam outta my doughnut. Good job.
8. androidaddict posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:33 1 1
when on budget, the first thing i would sacrifice would be cam.. makers should use that same money on better resolution screen or a better contrast screen which most budget tabs suffer from...
9. ap2012 posted on 25 Jun 2012, 03:37 3 0
Hot babe! The back camera would be needed to take pictures of gals like these
10. nyuvo posted on 25 Jun 2012, 04:06 2 0
There could be a third option saying "if the price is significantly less, I wouldn't mind sacrificing having no rear camera"
11. GuiltyBystander posted on 25 Jun 2012, 05:02 2 0
Well, it's not a deal breaker for me.
Btw, that chick is hawt.
12. e.wvu (unregistered) posted on 25 Jun 2012, 05:10 1 0
Well, we all know that if a tablet doesn't have a rear view camera, Phone Arena will get a low score on the review.
30. whothisperson posted on 25 Jun 2012, 16:24 0 0
Oh I see what you did there... Phone Arena takes camera quality into high consideration when scoring on the reviews.
13. andyboi_ph posted on 25 Jun 2012, 05:26 1 0
as long as it comes with solid specs like a quad-core chip and decent screen, I'm in! (with or without rear camera)
15. shimsham posted on 25 Jun 2012, 06:28 1 0
Do Phone Arena really need such chicks photos to get visitors?
20. -box- posted on 25 Jun 2012, 08:16 2 0
It's one of those photos that are famous for being both bad and silly. While the subject of the photo (the girl) is reasonably attractive, the quality of the shot, forced pose, and awkwardness of using the large device instead of a smaller hand-held one is an excellent measure of the silliness of trying to use a tablet for camera usage, which is the point of the poll
21. nnaatthhaannx2 posted on 25 Jun 2012, 08:34 0 0
If they are used as exampled in the picture, absolutely.
22. angelesmec posted on 25 Jun 2012, 08:57 1 0
Although not that necessary, it is good to have just in case you are not carrying around your phone or a camera.
25. jlscott777 posted on 25 Jun 2012, 11:07 0 0
Used the one on my tablet once just to see if it worked, I think it would be much better to have a really good front facing camera and just get rid of the rear facing one.
28. mas11 posted on 25 Jun 2012, 12:31 0 0
The sad thing is I know girls that take pictures like that. They are just trying to show ppl that they own an iPad and have nice boobs. They are all stuck up and easy.
29. networkdood posted on 25 Jun 2012, 14:16 0 0
Huh, that supposed girl in the pic looks like a guy dressed up...lol, well, almost.
31. InspectorGadget80 posted on 25 Jun 2012, 17:30 0 0
First of all i like to say SHES HOT! 2nd TABLET's camera DON'T TAKE good picture. at least a cell phone can. if you can't take your CAMERA with u use your phone.don't care what manufactuere tablet you use it will always take bad camera
34. _PHug_ posted on 26 Jun 2012, 05:09 0 0
Rear cameras on tablets are stupid.
If a tablet is your only device then your priorities are screwed up.
35. s1ebee posted on 26 Jun 2012, 17:30 0 0
Exactly.... Who ever came across someone that owns a tablet but not a smartphone with camera?
36. casey posted on 06 Jul 2012, 05:45 0 0
Cameras. 41MP on a phone. As other people have said, ever since mobiles started including cameras we have been moving towards a phone camera replacing a stand-alone camera, and the news is that, appart from high spec digital cameras, low to medium quality cameras will not be made in the future. Reason is simple - most photos now are produced by phone cameras.
Tablets, especially the 7 inch, are the new mobiles, which is why there are increasing numbers of phone call tablets. As the phones 10 years ago, these are starting to include decent cameras (see reviews of Samsung tablets).
All that is needed now is for manufacturers to re-learn that many people do not want a laptop, phone and camera, people's expectations are advancing, and there are increasing numbers who want a Nokia N8 or better camera on their tablet.