DisplaySearch forecasts up to 5.5 inch screen for Apple iPhone 6
0. phoneArena 14 Jan 2014, 21:58 posted on
Researcher DisplaySearch has made its forecast for 2014, and expects the next iteration of Apple's smartphone to come to market carrying one of two different sized displays. One is a 4.7 inch screen with resolution of 900 x 1600 resulting in a pixel density of 386. The other is a 5.5 inch screen with a resolution of 1080 x 1920 which produces a pixel density of 401ppi. The current Apple iPhone 5s has a resolution of 640 x 1136 for a pixel density of 326ppi...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
After Apple releases a 5.5" phone then what? Samsung will be on it's 2nd generation bendable phone/tablet hybrid while Apple is still pushing "s" models. Apple is so predictable it's sad to even think that the iPhone was a desirable phone in its history. Apple lacks innovation and only thinks about maximum profits with old ideas.
8. nctx77 (Posts: 572; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
More like Samsung will be on their second metal device lol! Dude all companies have prototypes. Until you can go to the store and buy it, it doesn't exist. By the way, the galaxy round is not a bendable phone. It's a gimmick.
16. Sreddy (Posts: 91; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
if you think its so predictable, they why dont you give us a lil taste
of what is in apples pipeline in next couple years, with ofcourse detailed specs of things to be released.i dont think phone arena has to post rumors by other famous people out there
just follow this guy
18. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2866; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Don't worry Apples's camp is happy and excited for bigger screens. :)
25. darkkjedii (Posts: 12618; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
All any company thinks about is maximum profits Einstein. The only difference is the path they take to achieve them. Some people are such haters, they ooze stupidity.
3. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5953; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
My prediction is 4.7" with pixel density of 326. Curious how that converts to horizontal and vertical pixels, though.
5. Commentator (Posts: 2494; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
About 720p. That would result in a PPI of 312, but remember that anything over 300 is considered "Retina." Not to mention that Apple reserves the right to change the definition of "Retina Display" depending on how far from the face they say the average user holds it.
Otherwise, a PPI of 326 at 720p would need a 4.5" display, which I could also see them doing.
17. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5953; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
You might have picked the diagonal measurement, resolution and density of the screen for the iP6. A 4.8" screen size is actually pretty easy to hold and navigate with one hand (based on experience with the HTC One).
+1 to you sir.
4. kindlefireowner (Posts: 443; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
My prediction is 4.8 inch screen for the iphone 6, and the C staying at 4 inches. Apple does not need to chase the phablet market. They just need to find the sweet spot. That's iphone 6 with a 4.8 inch screen.
6. a_merryman (Posts: 718; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
I'm hoping they use IGZO screens, and for the screen size to be at least 4.7" , preferably 5"-5.2".
9. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
I hope nobody will buy next Apple's iPhone6. That's all. Lol.
19. androtaku (Posts: 201; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
he is dreaming in his own world
he doesn't know how to read apple quarter report when he's awake
26. darkkjedii (Posts: 12618; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Do us all a favor, and u register you account. You're undeserving/unworthy of membership in the PA community. President Jedii approves this message.
11. uchihakurtz (Posts: 276; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
I wonder how Apple will manage changing resolution as iOS was not designed to run on multiple resolutions, at least yet. Remember the resolution bump in the 5th which resulted black bar on older apps?
13. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Revolution in phablet segment which never existed before!
15. frydaexiii (Posts: 1239; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
So I guess people's thumbs for using their hands one handed just keeps getting longer and longer huh?
20. Bozzor (Posts: 145; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I would hope Apple does the smart thing when the battery and screen technology allows for a screen of 1280 x 2272. This would make it a much simpler matter for app developers to scale up or to play with more resolution. The alternatives are really painful...
21. jamesedward318 (Posts: 99; Member since: 25 Dec 2010)
Apple has a winner on their hands with the size they have now. No real need to change unless they feel they have to keep up with the "competition". A 4.7" display would be cool if they had to leap up in size. No need to go with a 5.5" display. Now you're going all Note-ish and that is not Apple's lane. There is reason they have the iPad mini. I will admit that a slightly larger screen would work wonders for certain apps and games.
22. joseram695 (Posts: 49; Member since: 28 May 2012)
My guess is they will up the display to 4.5 inches and throw in a 720p display, 5.5 just does not seem like something they would try rite now, and I seriously Doubt they will release 2 different size phones at once.
23. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
at leats they don use 2k or full hd for noyhing. 380 ppi is good
24. darkkjedii (Posts: 12618; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I cannot wait to get my hands on this puppy. At&t on Craig & Clayton, here we come. iOS 8 on as large a screen as 4.7-5.5. In my Homer J. Simpson (mmmmmmmmmmmmm iPhone 6).
27. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
yall know when apple drops this large screen iphone its gonna be over right? lol
so many droiders are gonna jump ship.
29. darkkjedii (Posts: 12618; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yep, just watch. They won't admit it though, they'll use their new iPhone to type (I'm typing this with my galaxy).
32. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5953; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Some will use the new Typo keyboard/case if Typo releases their combo for the iP6. A lot of former BB addicts just miss the physical keyboard.
31. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 210; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
You're kidding, right? Anyone willing to jump ship so readily is not, as you put it, a "droider". Apple drops a big screen phone I go into Best Buy, mess around with it, get the same iOS experience I don't like, and I go buy the Note 4 or take out my S5 and enjoy it.
33. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5953; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Or, in my circumstance, I take out my Maxx. But you literally described what I did.
28. 1701nino (unregistered)
As i said before this prediction doesn't make any sense. Why would they opt for such a strange resolution like 1600x900???They can easily go for 2048x1536 on a 5' phone and no scaling of apps needed,plus this screen can compete with the galaxy s5 out of the box.
30. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 210; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
You're talking 512 ppi. That's Androidesque spec race numbers, not to mention 4:3 aspect ratio on a phone. What is this the LG Vu3?!? And the A7X, or whatever the next processor is called, pushing that many pixels would actually lag.
34. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5953; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Even with an A8 SoC, the number of pixels to push argues against a 2048x1536 screen. I think 4.8 inches is the sweet spot for the iP6.
Apple doesn't play the spec race game. SoC will improve over the A7, screen size will increase, but there won't be a spec race vs. Android or WP.
35. 1701nino (unregistered)
What do you mean A7 will lag on 2048x1536???If you are not aware A7 screams on ipad with that resolution and its mostly the same thing(only a little lower clock speed).
I can only imagine what the A8 will do.
36. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 210; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
The number of pixels that the both processors would have to push is insane. 512 if you read my comment. that will lag any processor, even dual core 1.3Ghz. Also, the iPad is pushing fewer pixels making it easier on the GPU and CPU.