Display comparison: Samsung Galaxy S5 vs. HTC One M8, Sony Xperia Z2 and LG G Pro 2
0. phoneArena 26 Mar 2014, 23:59 posted on
The S5, One M8, Xperia Z2 and G Pro 2 are four of this year's flagship smartphones - they're all brand new, and all are running the latest Android 4.4 KitKat...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
14. james004 (Posts: 471; Member since: 15 May 2013)
anyways, Z2 and HTC M8 for tie as best display?
23. vincelongman (Posts: 1141; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
IMO the M8 has the best display, then the S5, then the Z2 and then the G2 Pro.
M8 seems to be the most accurate.
The S5 has the best viewing angles and blacks.
Z2 looks really nice, but in terms of accuracy, its more over-saturated and looks too red/pink
The G2 Pro looks too over-exposed, especially the whites on the last 3.
75. neops (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
S5 is the winner. Most natural skin tones.
It has a slight yellowish tint (M8 has a reddish one) but nothing much.
Only problem i see is washout in big viewing angles.
I want to see if the obviοus reddish hue in Z2 is managable through
settings. I'm also waiting for a real photo and video comparison.
94. vincelongman (Posts: 1141; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I think you should able to adjust any of the phone display by flash a custom kernel
I've with Franco kernel you adjust the Nexus 5's screen, I haven't tried it though, sticking with ElementalX for now
102. Fynjy777 (Posts: 28; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Why do you think, that background is white? According to analyze of Z2's display, it has the most accurate color reproduction, so i suppose the background is a little bit red, like on Z2's display.
87. buccob (Posts: 1409; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I agree with you here... M8, S5 (sharper details somehow), Z2 and G2 Pro...
However you can tweak those screens to get better accuracy, vividness, etc... Turn Bravia Engine Off... or change Samsung Display Mode to another...
So... they all look great...
47. eq5555 (Posts: 63; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
Future for OLED
continuous improvement of OLED Samsung (and now LG (g flex), Sony (in production) and the Chinese manufacturers) gives its fruits
In OLED (Amoled) white whiter IPS, faster response in comparison to LCD (hundreds of times better than LCD), contrast and black level is perfect (hundreds of times better than LCD), a range of colors better, colors do not mix with each other, at times less power consumption, much thinner, ideal viewing angles
Oversaturated color removed using a cinema mode
top OLED g flex bottom ips
samsung has different displays
55. eq5555 (Posts: 63; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
42. amiroo (Posts: 269; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Both m8 and z2 have excellent screen but its clear ips 3in m8 bring better view angel and more accurate.
Winner is m8.
107. loveHEAVYMETAL (unregistered)
m8 has very poor black level zzz
35nits+- for black colour
most flagship which using lcd panel has darker black colour,about 7nits
56. eq5555 (Posts: 63; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
Cool backlight Z2, expanding the color gamut and "improves the shades", actually distorts the color because all the images are designed for standard sRGB and an extension will only be in the negative. Although the display is still better than the HTC M8.
73. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
agree. although that distortion aims to show the colors that are really on the image. still, not a good excuse when you are marketing your product as something that is closer to natural colors.
77. eq5555 (Posts: 63; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
They are not on the picture, if they were made for adobe rgb, etc., then yes, but such images are almost nonexistent, and they are mainly engaged professionals
111. Ashoaib (Posts: 1924; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Is this S5 have amoled? I dont think because its quite different... very true colors... s5 is surely better over all... m8 is better in one shot only...
Lg look like having some issue with the screen or may be the camera from which these photos are taken is the reason...
Z2 has very sharp exposure or over sharpening, good for games
2. lee480 (Posts: 174; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
Xperia Z2 the best.
Lol out of the four OEMs, only two makes profits out of phones.
12. Adithya7184 (Posts: 315; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
Galaxy S5's display is the best...AMOLED rocks...
15. maherk (Posts: 893; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I get it when people get biased to a company based on designs and materials used, bit seriously where did you see the Z2 as better? the Amoled is again a clear winner, better whites and perfect viewing angles. Look at #1 with the lady in red, on the Z2 even the white background looks red, and Z2 might have over came the disastrous screen found on the original Z, but it seems yet again to fail compared to the other flagships. S5 might not be the best looker, but again it proves it can be the most compact just like the S4 and Note 3 are.
20. LoveHater (Posts: 146; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
I don't know this sh^^ ,,Look at the last pic,, here from this angle clealy S5 display is down,,, completely down,, colours faded,,and also view is no contrast and sharpness,,,
Definitely Z2 and M8 display rock from any angle and Lg is far behind
26. maherk (Posts: 893; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
that's because the G Pro and the Z2 are closer to the cam, which means they have different angle than the M8 and S5. Pictures #1 and #2 says it all. Displaymate regarded the Note 3's as the best and most brightest android screen in the market, why would you think the S5 won't?
32. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
closer to the cam? amoleds are known to have the best viewing angles. the worst that could happen to it is the blurring. what you see there is not just blurring. it's the display becoming faded. can't you see it or you just refuse to see it?
35. maherk (Posts: 893; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
somebody please give this champ a cookie!! 1st of all, where did you come up with this new discovery that amoled screens tend to blurr at a certain angle??? And I bet you missed out on the part where phonearena apologized for only providing the 1st 2 pictures in HQ. Go to sleep kiddo, tomorrow you must wake up early for school.
38. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
stupe. get the context. i said there's blurring because of the distance from the camera. that's the camera focus issue. try to read things properly. i guess there's not point arguing through written words with people who don't know how to understand what they're reading.
79. LoveHater (Posts: 146; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
What do u read reply well or what,,, u didn't even understand what he just said
59. rd_nest (Posts: 768; Member since: 06 Jun 2010)
Dude, you seem to be whacked out.
1] Angle of view, 2 phones Sony/LG has much lesser angle compared to HTC/Samsung.
2] Camera focus - you can clearly see the "bokeh" effect on HTC screen. It's not fault of the HTC display, but the displays on Samsung/HTC are off-focus. Hence, they are not as sharp. The camera was focused on the 1st 2 phones Sony/LG.
63. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
hey moro n. that's precisely my point. learn to understand what you're reading. the difference is that the amoled has faded/whitewashed. seriously, is this your other account, maherk?
81. LoveHater (Posts: 146; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
@pwnarena,, useless to discuss with them,, if S^ screen would be off,,, they would say it has great colours and angles
82. LoveHater (Posts: 146; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
and from when defocus start giving u less colour,,, foucusing will be rough but colors produced at that time will enough to judge,,,look at that pic,, that is colourless
27. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
http:// i-cdn.phonearena .com/images/articles/116011-image/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-HTC-One-M8-Sony-Xperia-Z2-LG-G-Pro-2-011.jpg
so that's what you call amoled is better? maybe in portrait but not on that side/orientation with which we view movies most of the time.
wrong priorities i guess. samsung wants to look good on portrait to please gullible people like you.
31. maherk (Posts: 893; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
what are you smoking buddy? I guess the guys at displaymate are just as gullible as I am.
34. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
look at that faded display. i'm not saying this because i favor z2. the z2 is obviously not the best there. look at the reddish tint on the supposedly white background although we're not sure if that's really supposed to be pure white.
i'm jus trying to tell you to quit being hypocrtical. you're saying others are having opinions because of their fanaticism for a company or the materials used. try looking at yourself first.
also, we're not buddies.
37. maherk (Posts: 893; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
"we're not sure if that's really supposed to be pure white",
see how easy it is to spot a fanboy??
45. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
hahaha. so the pathetic guy stopped responding to my comments because he had to log out and log in again using his other account to up vote his comments. way to go mamasmurf!
67. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
say that to the guy who uses two accounts here.
86. maherk (Posts: 893; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
did it ever occur to you that I have a life and I am not gonna stay on phonearena for the rest of my life going back and forth with a stubborn troll? Jeez!!!
108. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
ok. i know you had to log out to log in with another account to vote for your own comments. that's your life. i totally understand. took that much time to think of a comeback huh?
57. hung2900 (Posts: 793; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
How come can Sony fans say their Z2 screen is good? The color is terrible. Look at the face of the woman, so red. That's what bad@ss Sony fans call "vibrant" huh?
64. mr.techdude (Posts: 543; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
You are completely right 100% @maherk, Sony displays are terrible to not able to compete with others. However I can conclude that the z2 has a substantial improvement over its predecessors but still not competitive. Amoled displays are awesome but my kudous goes to HTC. Their LCD displays are well ahead from other LCD devices such as the one x which was crowned as the best display and still from today it's great. HTC flapgship device's displays are able to compete with Samsung displays. Some like the other and some might not.
48. jcdz89 (Posts: 64; Member since: 01 Mar 2013)
Z2 is the sexiest of them. But it's viewing angles not as good as others. All 4 does a pretty good job but I like gs5 & z2 colors because it looks warmer. .
3. Lampriya (Posts: 207; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
no iPhone 5s' retina display? This site should be renamed to anti-Applearena.com
8. chistoefur (Posts: 51; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
buddy, watch their youtube videos, they leave a very different impression.
plus the 5s sucks (:
9. Kishin (Posts: 600; Member since: 30 May 2013)
Thats not true, its just the article relates to androids of 2014 and there is no need for comparison the i find the iPhone colors awesome and bright(500+nits)brightness and good viewing angles, u get what i am saying..
24. vincelongman (Posts: 1141; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
If you read the article, you would off noticed that the comparison photos were sourced from eprice.com.cn
So phonearea had no input into what phones were compared
65. mr.techdude (Posts: 543; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
No point of showing the tiny 4" panel cause it will over shadowed by the luminosity of these 4 giants. So go cry or go home. :) lol
85. greyhulk (Posts: 118; Member since: 30 Jun 2010)
If they had used an iPhone in the comparison, you wouldn't have been able to see it without a microscope.
131. fireblade (Posts: 694; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
Retina display is basically an IPS display with 330 pixels per inch density. And it's manufactured by Samsung or LG. Today the best display is Amoled with more than 440 pixel per inch density.
I think I shouldn't waste my energy just to reply noob like you.
4. fouadqr (Posts: 290; Member since: 21 Nov 2012)
Z2 is da best :D..
I hope to see Z2 vs Note 3 vs Lumia 1520
5. Taters (Posts: 2918; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Wow! The Z2 and HTC One are complete jokes. Those phones are huge. The GS5 is the smallest and that is already too big next to the G2 and Nexus 5. What a joke these 2014 phones are.
I normally don't like AMOLED but the GS5 screen looks like by far the best judging from those pictures.
39. to-ma-to (Posts: 6; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
stupid hater..pic 7 shows that htc one and z2 have far better viewing angle than s5..
40. pwnarena (Posts: 879; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
but it's just in that specific angle. look at the portrait one. the z2 there is obviously not the best.
53. Taters (Posts: 2918; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Is something wrong with your eyes? Lol how does pic 7 show that those two phones have far better viewing angles? Lol Man the haters are so clueless.
80. LoveHater (Posts: 146; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
that just I said in above comments but some said it was the cam issue,,,,,,,,amoled are good but not as z2 and M8
88. true1984 (Posts: 588; Member since: 23 May 2012)
dude, all you do is big up the s5, and talk trash about anything else. god you're lame
6. mrguy (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
to me the g pro 2 has more accurate colors, the m8, z2, and s5 colors(mostly white) have a yellowish tint to them, the s5 wins when you look at it from a angle it seems that it brings a more cooler color.
18. maherk (Posts: 893; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
the colors on the G pro 2 looks like they are washed out compared to the others.