Display calibration and more for the Sony Xperia Z and Sony Xperia ZL?
0. phoneArena 18 Jan 2013, 21:46 posted on
The handsets that captured the largest buzz at CES 2013 were the Sony Xperia Z and the Sony Xperia ZL and while that doesn't guarantee success in the marketplace (right Palm Pre, right Motorola DROID BIONIC?), screenshots of the Sony Xperia ZL displayed what appeared top be display calibration software which would allow the user to customize the screen to his own liking...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Com on SONY release the DAMN PHONE ALREADY. I'm still waiting.
23. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 704; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
come on sony release it ASAP, otherwise s4 ll crush u.......... hurry up...
42. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
True, if it releases in march ... One would rather wait for gs4 which has octacore and better performance..... I am enjoying DNA with same specs since 21 Nov already..... This phone will not have better performance than DNA as they have same soc .... Camera sample do not look good either..... If am sure no one from verizon would be interested in this.. if HTC would have released DNA all over the world...no one will be ready to wait for this
44. gescalona (Posts: 9; Member since: 04 Apr 2011)
"no one will be ready to wait for this" in the US, that's what you mean, right? because the world is bigger than the US, and outside your country we're all waiting for the Xperia Z, for a unlock Xperia Z, no contracts and worldwide phone. The Droid DNA work here ... NO, work outside the US ... well, sort of. Keep your Droid DNA and have fun with it, but don't talk like you know it all.
54. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I can see one thing clearly that some HTC Droid DNA owners somehow feel the pain in their butts because other people feel the hipe abou Sony Xperia Z. :)
45. gescalona (Posts: 9; Member since: 04 Apr 2011)
and i don't say anything about the quality and durability of the Xperia Z, or the Sony's technologies so...
46. AshishRomea (Posts: 145; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
DNA and Z ? anyday Z dude ... does your DNA have screen calibration ? have seen the sample photos from the final unit ? its awesome... though they both use same SOC , Z gives very high performance....
but who cares abt all this ? when u have WATER PROOF , DUST PROOF and the MOST DURABLE phone which is most PREMIUM BUILD PHONE OUT DER ? SONY IS SONY , HTC IS NOWHERE NEAR SONY.... COMPARE UR PHONE WITH OPPO OR ZTE
47. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
jesus....screen calibration is a deal breaker for you?
it's all the same. a guy like you when sees a newer phone looses his brain and nothing else matters
51. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
NO don't think so. cause I like it's water proof feature plus it's PLAYSTATION CERTIFIED.
52. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
DNA have a crappy contrast ratio. just because their the first one with a 1080P display doesn't mean its good. They rush it out first so they can be the first 5" phone for Verizon. I prefer sony cause they know how to make good quality screens and they use SD CARDS unlike HTC they got rid of theirs
56. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
Biggest bulls**t of the year... Super LCD 3 is best sreen according to all reviews and as I own it know better than you..and verizon got rid of sd card else htc J butterfly has it..brush up ur knowledge..
50. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
don't FEED THE TROLL.
64. IHateApple (banned) (Posts: 122; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
I just hope they give an option to temporarily hide the on screen navigation buttons. The On Screen Buttons are a pain in the butt when you are playing games.
2. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
wow thats more better!! so that also means that this could do the remedy of the alleged poor viewing angle but anyways nice move from sony it gets me more excited!
6. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
how does adjustment of screen calibration remedy poor viewing angle?
18. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
View angle doesn't matter its a gimmick... The panel that is believed to be in it is 100 degrees view angle which is more than enough unless your going to look at your phone sideways.
22. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
viewing angle isn't a gimmick.. it just about screen capability to show its content from side way nothing more..
31. w-t-f (Posts: 42; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
y u wanna look at phone sideways? :) and don't tell me u wanna watch a movie with friends on a 5 inch display lol :)
34. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
hey mate.. read carefully.. i just explained what's the meaning of viewing angle.. i never say i wanna see my screen from any side views.. sigh..
35. w-t-f (Posts: 42; Member since: 21 Aug 2012)
sorry bro,just saying,coz thers too many ppl crying bout that.
36. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Though not as much compared to televisions, viewing cone does matter to phones to some degree.
Narrower viewing cone means more sensitivity and greater affect of dimming, colour changing, and washing out effect with the slightest of tilt. It's not matter of viewing the phone from the sides, it's the effect of degradation with the slightest of tilt.
Z is still on top of my shopping list thus far, as my contract for S2 just expired. But I gotta see the screen for myself first, before purchasing. I hope it's not as bad as depicted on previous PA article.
39. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
ok i said "this COULD" not "WILL" anyway i like the phone despite of the alleged poor viewing angle. im not going to look at it sideways most of the time.. and good viewing angles are people who want to brag the phone every now and then he puts it out of his pocket, and im not sure but i think adjusting screen calibration would help as it adjust the color saturation of the screen but anyway like i said i dont care bout viewing angles what matters to me most is the sunlight legibility
48. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Why are people downvoting for view angles on a 5" screen? Look at your regular lcd pc monitor which will have similar view angles to this, its not bad at all.
17. pyradark (Posts: 863; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
as a fan of the phone, they are right, theres no cure on viewing angle with display calibration
3. blackice214 (Posts: 164; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
There you go,for all the Z doubters,XPERIA Z!!!
4. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Looks like sony might actually pull off putting a TFT in that phone :o, looks nice.
5. tahnik (Posts: 188; Member since: 17 Jul 2011)
There you go guys..it's your choice now...
make it amoled just by oversaturating it...:p
7. maccess (Posts: 742; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
No it's still different.. you still cant make the pure black of amoled.. even with the calibration.. because we talk about two types of very different screen technology here..