Display battle: NOVA Display vs Super AMOLED vs Retina Display vs ClearBlack AMOLED
0. phoneArena posted on 01 Mar 2011, 10:07
PhoneArena examines the real-life performance of LG's newfangled brightest NOVA mobile display, comparing it to the IPS-LCD on the iPhone 4, the Super AMOLED on the Galaxy S, and the Clear Black AMOLED on the Nokia E7...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. yuya (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 10:49 7 6
ClearBlack Amoled>NOVA>Super AMOLED>Retina Display
4. mike (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 11:44 4 9
you must be definitely blind cuz the ClearBlack Amoled looks awful and over saturated
41. jgcaap posted on 07 Mar 2011, 11:30 3 4
i think he ment the other way around. retina Display first then super amoled then nova then clear black :)
2. djmo (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 10:50 2 3
@PhoneArena is it possible that you compare the 'Reality Display'
3. calamazoo (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 11:25 2 2
REality display is Super LCD made by Sony, which is similar to lg's offerings, but sony actually just bumps up the contrast and brightness while watching videos or pics, pretty much a marketing hype
5. pecemaloto posted on 01 Mar 2011, 12:12 20 3
angles- who cares bout that??
size- NOKIA LG SAMSUNG, APPLE
sunlight- APPLE LG,NOKIA,SAMSUNG
-ALL EXCELLENT FOR PORN WATCHING...
CHOICE IS URS...
6. SPcamert posted on 01 Mar 2011, 12:24 7 3
I prefer the Samsung Galaxy S for the color saturation and the brightness. The two LCD's don't really impress me. At least not in these photos.
7. Owlet posted on 01 Mar 2011, 13:20 5 8
Of course, Apple's Retina Display is better! And if it's not as good at something as other displays, just take it outside, or change the angle, or something... Good job, PA!
8. a (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 14:29 8 2
For me : Samsung Galaxy S is better .
24. Pol (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 21:47 3 1
Agree. The real life is in outdoors and often with direct sunlight. Samsung has the best contrast in this situation. The most readable numbers in the gray shades is for the Galaxy. Period.
9. mycrownvic02 (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 14:59 5 2
You mean lgs retina display? Apple can take no claim to that, as they didnt even make the screen. The nova screen would be my choice. The sammys super amoled is also nice though.
10. Owlet posted on 01 Mar 2011, 15:08 6 3
When Steve introduced iPhone last summer, I didn't hear anything about LG, when he kept saying what a breakthrough piece of technology his iPhone had for a screen. So, yes, Apple can.
BTW, my comment was sarcastic, I think you didn't get it.
18. Lucas777 posted on 01 Mar 2011, 18:18 1 1
you guys r stupid... apple developed the retina display technology, made probably a few copies, but dont have the means to PRODUCE a bunch. So they have lg, who has a bunch of screen thingies, implement their technology and manufacture their screens for them...
20. rick james (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 19:57 1 1
you guys are all dumb....retina is made by samsung...
29. oddmanout posted on 02 Mar 2011, 02:27 0 0
You guys make me laugh :D
42. jgcaap posted on 07 Mar 2011, 11:32 1 0
wasnt retina display made by LG?
53. ikkuh (unregistered) posted on 05 Apr 2011, 01:11 0 0
One thing is for sure: Apple can't make anything on its own. The technology is way out of his league. Even ios is Linux under the hood. The only thing apple is good at is ripping of peoples money. Buying any Apple product is really really stupid.
25. BaiGanyo posted on 01 Mar 2011, 22:45 0 0
I'm sure it was LG, just because of their experience in screen technology. The invented capacative touchscreen tech so it makes more sense. It wasn't apple, thats for sure. They are just a software company who tries to patch together whichever hardware will work with it.
11. mycrownvic02 (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 15:12 2 2
sarcasm on the interweb > me Sometimes hard to tell..
12. remixfa posted on 01 Mar 2011, 16:04 4 1
super amoled (and soon super duper amoled) for me. im a sucker for true black. i also would rather have the larger screen over the cramped screen with slightly better resolution.
13. DontHateOnS60 posted on 01 Mar 2011, 16:09 4 1
It's between the E7 and Galaxy S. But with the E7's readability outdoors, it gets the nod.
14. Rob (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 16:23 3 1
I wanted to like the LG display, while the Nokia sparked some interest in me, and the iPhone's merits are well publicisized... but the Samsung display actually wound up winning me over.
15. snowgator posted on 01 Mar 2011, 16:34 2 2
The Samsung still looks the best from these photos, and in real life it is just a plain show stopper. The LG really looks good, and I have no doubts will be great with a finished product. Never given Nokia it's due. What a spectacular screen. The iPhone is fourth, but really, even iPhone haters have to say fourth in this group is way ahead of most other screens.
16. luis_lopez_351 posted on 01 Mar 2011, 16:46 1 3
phone arena always ask us for what do we think not what do we think is right -__- stop spamming phonearena!! with ur idiotic debates u make phonearena look bad thumbs down all comment well the negative ones to show they dont matter feel free to thumb me down itsa complement :)
17. Owlet posted on 01 Mar 2011, 17:35 2 1
I didn't get what you think about different displays from your comment.
Have you read any of the comments you thumbed down? Doesn't look like it. Your really make this website look bad. Keep your hands off the mouse, kiddo.
19. youranidiot (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 18:59 1 3
Not one of you bitch faggots have proper grammer and composition. If your going to talk shit too and about eachother, do it correctly.
27. Owlet posted on 01 Mar 2011, 23:50 5 0
GrammAr, not grammEr.
You're or you are, not your.
In your context, to, not too.
Each other, not eachother.
DO IT CORRECTLY.
21. CTAPbIi (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 21:23 0 1
thx a lot for this review, I was really battling looking for comparison between IPS LCD and Super AMOLED.
It will be nice to see updated version of this review when SGS2 will be available though.
Just my 2 cents - Sammy's screen looks oversaturated for me, it's like difference in colors on TVs: LCD vs plasma.
22. ahmedra2ol posted on 01 Mar 2011, 21:35 1 2
LG Optimus Black is the best here after it (iphone= samsung) then come nokia at last because it is so dark :( thump up if you agree
30. clevername posted on 02 Mar 2011, 03:33 0 0
Nova seemed great but as far as ips goes brightness won't win me over. Retina is plenty bright and has a higher resolution. The resolution is what wins me over here and it's barely mentioned. Pixel density makes for sharper images not color or brightness(although they can play a part). Retina's density is far superior and gives hd videos and graphics a much more organic and fluid feel than super amoled (I only say super amoled because it's they only other display I have experience on). Viewing angles aren't a big thing to me because I look straight at my phone. I don't know who doesn't. As far as blacks go the retina display can get pretty black. No super amoled black but very friction close. By no measure would I say dark grey. But samoled does have better blacks.
Overall like I said for me it's all about resolution. PPI to be more exact.
26. vishal400 (unregistered) posted on 01 Mar 2011, 23:37 2 0
clear black dispaly shows original colours. And i don't consider iphone display,, its too old technology of display. E7 ans galaxy are winners here.
28. vishal400 (unregistered) posted on 02 Mar 2011, 00:08 1 0
comparing lg and iphone display with e7 and galaxy is like comparing LCD TV vs LED TV. HA HA. LED wins
31. cedd (unregistered) posted on 02 Mar 2011, 08:27 1 0
clearblack of nokia is the best from what i see
32. T DAWGv12 posted on 02 Mar 2011, 09:27 0 1
Based on the pictures here, Super amoled plus on galaxy s wins here, nokia would have to seen or have the auto adjust turned off though to be fair. Any company still working with yesterdays mobile display technology's are behind the curve which for apple in particular is the name of the game anyhow.
33. hacknet (unregistered) posted on 02 Mar 2011, 18:28 0 0
Where is the Q-HD Display for the Atrix??? Should be in this list with the top devices. fail.
34. Herkus Mantas (unregistered) posted on 02 Mar 2011, 21:33 1 0
So, I must go for Samsung Galaxy S or for Nokia E7 display. I more outdoor user, like play with phone in bright daylight, summer time in London Parks.
Yes I like LG Black display but if no anti-reflectance coating then not for me. iPhone 4 display nice but also without anti-reflectance coating not for me.
THANKS Phone Arena for nice displays comparison.
35. calamazoo (unregistered) posted on 03 Mar 2011, 08:20 0 0
they all have anti-reflectance coating, except the Optimus Black, which was a prototype t6he guy said and will have it in the final version. Just that the Galaxy S has a very low reflectance, so, despite that the Retina display and the NOVA display are so bright, outdoors they are only slightly better than the Galaxy S and the ClearBlack AMOLED...
37. Galen20K posted on 03 Mar 2011, 18:16 0 0
Wow Nova is really impressive!! Definitely the brightest although Super AMOLED is richer in colors still all look amazing in my opinion.
38. john10001 (unregistered) posted on 03 Mar 2011, 22:13 1 0
I think that the Nokia and Samsung have better displays especially when outdoors as they don't have as much glare and reflection. I don't think Nokia has managed to produce a better display though than the one on its 5800.
39. stani (unregistered) posted on 04 Mar 2011, 04:29 0 0
for me super amoled is the best!
40. Jasper (unregistered) posted on 07 Mar 2011, 00:46 0 1
Samsung has the edge in producing these screens, but nokia does impresses somewhat...
43. Dr sasidhar reddy (unregistered) posted on 09 Mar 2011, 13:41 0 0
ALWAYS RETINA DISPLAY """ROCKS""...
45. M27 (unregistered) posted on 12 Mar 2011, 06:51 0 0
Lol, all 4 displays are from 2 korean companys. LG & Samsung. IPS in iPhone is from LG and Amolend in N8 is from Samsung, so all 4 best displays are from LG & Samsung
46. Questions. (unregistered) posted on 12 Mar 2011, 10:22 0 0
Read people READ before posting. The Nokia's automatic light sencore can't be turned off. That is why it looks darker in dark. Better for eyes that way you know? With full contrast would be way brighter. SO READ BEFORE POSTING.
47. h (unregistered) posted on 13 Mar 2011, 09:57 0 0
Super AMOLED Plus & Super AMOLED
48. d12south (unregistered) posted on 14 Mar 2011, 09:50 0 0
Sorry guys , defiantly Nokia E7 wins!
Just look how it performs under light.
49. R@R#M@N (unregistered) posted on 18 Mar 2011, 07:25 0 0
where is S.E arc ??
Bravia Engine most better than displays
50. fb_dragon76 posted on 21 Mar 2011, 01:26 0 0
i love a great screen but a so so screen wont keep me from downloading and sending porn either so im good. what kills me is that they make screen protectors that blocks angles so you can enjoy your porn in peace w/o the hypocritical eyes glaring at you from an angle.
51. IOS5 (unregistered) posted on 29 Mar 2011, 18:15 0 0
Clear black display the worst! I played with E7 in store two things I liked in this phone
- call quilaty and speakers with noise cancellation
- qwtary keyboard
Other than that the screen has to many pixels too dark nothing special on CBD compere to Retina, Super Amoled and Nova cuz CBD has the lowest resolution 640x360 in 4" screen too bad.
52. ikkuh (unregistered) posted on 05 Apr 2011, 01:06 0 0
I think it isnt fair to compare small screen's (3,5") with big ones (4") besides that i still like the amoled's better because of the high contrast ratio and the vivid colours. Samsung still makes the best screens.
54. joey18 posted on 06 Apr 2011, 21:35 0 0
You guys are stupid retina display is make kasastan bora produtions
55. Mini_Pritchy_18 posted on 09 Apr 2011, 13:40 0 0
I've tried out the Samsung galaxy s and i can tell you it is lush, i love everything about it, I'm not sure about outdoors and I'm not saying it is better but you will definatly be satisfied