Did you know what is the world record for longest phone call?
In 2012, Eric R. Brewster and Avery A. Leonard of Harvard University held a phone call for an amazing 46 hours, 12 minutes, 52 seconds, and 228 milliseconds. The two students were not allowed to stop talking for over 10 seconds, but were given the chance to muster their strength back with a 5-minute break for every hour spent on the phone. This was more than just an extraordinarily lengthy chit chat. It was a show - the debut performance art installation of a new students cooperative called the Harvard Generalist. People were allowed to observe the conversation and even interact with Eric and Avery, thus potentially inspiring new topics.
But a few years earlier, in 2009, Sunil Prabhakar went down in history with an even more impressive phone call record of 51 hours. However, he did not have a single call partner while setting the record. He started by calling Dr K. K. Agarwal, a renowned Cardiologist, who later passed the call onto others.
A feat recognized by the Guinness World Records took place in Riga, Latvia, where a phone conversation lasted for a whopping 56 hours and 4 minutes. This happened back in 2012 at an event organized by Tele2 communications and SponsorKing. The record was set by two teams, Kristaps Štãls paired with Patriks Zvaigzne and Leonids Romanovs participating together with Tatjana Fjodorova, who talked about anything from aquariums to social dynamics to mind power.
What is the longest phone call that you've ever had? Let us know down in the comments!
2. Jason2k13 (Posts: 641; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Yep, from 2012 to 2009 and back to 2012 again. Anyway my longest is probably 2 hours straight.
4. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4281; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
mine was 10 hours ,,, first love that girl with sexy voice and pretty looks made me go on talking the following day for 9 hours
what is love.....?
7. hurrycanger (Posts: 1069; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
and you sat there talking to her on the phone 9 hours? What a waste, man.
Mine was only like 3-4 hours max with a girl at the other end of town. Not my first love and it wasn't a relationship, but it was sweet as he!l. I was in middle school back then, lol. Time sure went by fast...
19. Daftama (Posts: 563; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yeah mine was 12 hrs bored me to death knocked out after the first 15mins hahaha.. Funny thing wake answer hello.. Replies HI whoa cut that out really quick
3. Arte-8800 (limited) (Posts: 4281; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
a female, a women can go on and on and on talking,
12. promise7 (Posts: 398; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Poorly written and organized article. Shifts timelines in odd order, and doesn't clearly state which is actually the record.
I've noticed with PhoneArena articles you can always just ignore the first paragraph, sometimes even two. They are usually just jibber jabber trying to fill and fluff the article to make it look longer.
29. AstronautJones (Posts: 260; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
I think it clearly shows the 3 or 4 longest calls,in order by length of calls. The last one listed is the record.
5. ReaperChief (Posts: 31; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I thought a conversation lasted a whole lot more.. If I put my mind to it I can make a conversation last longer than 2 days..
6. AnukulVcool (Posts: 123; Member since: 02 Jun 2012)
the urge to hold these type of uninspiring records makes me sad
8. Planterz (Posts: 744; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Taking an order while working at a pizza place from some stoned idiot that didn't knows his address or what he wanted, only to find out he wasn't even in our delivery area.
Longest 12 minutes of my life.
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8170; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Longest phone call I've had was over seven hours a few years ago. I have yet to break that record, though I spent four and a half hours the other day with a friend haha.
11. Bernoulli (Posts: 1443; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
6 1/2 hours with a girl that lives in a different state
13. LeBrownJames (Posts: 86; Member since: 17 Mar 2014)
My longest is about 8-10 hours, but that would make my ears sweat. :)
14. kaikuheadhunterz (Posts: 710; Member since: 18 Jul 2013)
I've never had a call longer than 3 minutes
15. donfem (Posts: 526; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Very stupid record. You might as well give the "most ridiculously stupid award" for the most retarded personality. Don't know what the conversation could have been or how constructive or productive such could have been.
18. HildyJ (Posts: 116; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Meh. When I worked at a telecom, we dicovered that modem users were regularly making voice calls of over three days. Not many, admittedly, because connections tended to drop. You kids who have no idea what I'm talking about have it easy.
23. SuperMaoriBro (Posts: 291; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
mine is about 10mins - this shows that I either have a life or am a boring conversationalist, I'm not sure which.
I hope none of the records were set using cell phones: My ear gets toasty after a few minutes - I'd hate to think what 40+ hours would do.
24. ˇಠ_ಠˇ (Posts: 40; Member since: 29 Aug 2012)
Literally at most like 40 minutes. Who talks for hours straight??!!??!!!?
26. boomboom (Posts: 53; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
The longest phone call for me was 8hr with a girl who has blocked me on fb now :D lol
27. GMS85 (Posts: 157; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
28. makio9 (Posts: 47; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
51 hours, is that all? Geez...most girls I know want to talk for 51 hours.
maybe I am too tolerant
30. aahmed215 (Posts: 76; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
Longest phone call was probably 40 minutes. Longest Skype Call was about 4 hours.
31. JunitoNH (Posts: 878; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Hay Dios mio, that's a lot of radiation. Hope you guys were using headphones or land line.