Did you know that there exists a smartphone with a front cam with more megapixels than its main one?
But did you know that one phone has a front-facing camera with a megapixel count that actually exceeds the one of its main, rear camera? It’s a strange, but true fact. Which one is that phone? It turns out, the HTC One (M8) is the one - its 4-megapixel (or UltraPixel, if you prefer) camera actually has less megapixels than its 5-megapixel front, selfie cam.
What gives? More megapixels are usually associated with more detail in the image, but don’t be fooled - it’s not just about the count, it’s also a lot about how the information is processed. Sometimes, more pixels on a tiny sensor also mean very noise images when light is scarce. In either case, it’s an interesting occurrence - to have a phone with a front shooter with more megapixels than its main one, isn’t it?
15. engineer-1701d (Posts: 889; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
this is just to put something on the page no news this weekend, i forgot the name of it just china or japan somewhere around that area have 8 mp front cam,
26. Neo_Huang (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
The ZTE Nubia X6 has a 13 Megapixel front-facing camera. The Oppo N1 and Oppo N1 Mini have single, 13 Megapixel cameras that can swivel to the front, so I guess you can count them. The Gionee Elife E7 and several others have 8 Megapixel front facing cameras.
5. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
I was going to say the same thing
10. Dr.Phil (Posts: 906; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
What's bad about this too is that when real news does come out you have to sift through all of these snail news and trivial articles to find it.
I think PA should add a new category at the top beside "News" that just says "Random" and have articles like this.
17. Arte-8800 (Posts: 4281; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
It's so funny, users on PhoneArena just want new news every 30miniutes. Unlike, Gsmarena, Pocketnow, Bgr, Engadget, AndroidCentral, KnowYourMobile, Phoned, users never complain. People on here makes a post and never discuss anymore further on the topic, leaving one post, unlike on the others the discussion goes on and on.
Looks like this site is full of youngsters, unlike on other tech websites, their all matured...
18. Arte-8800 (Posts: 4281; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Especially Engadget and GsmArena, AndroidCentral, Wpcentral and 9to5 generates more posts then PhoneArena.
28. Neo_Huang (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
If you want news every 30 minutes, you're gonna have to go through several tech websites, like I do.
35. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3202; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Easy question, easy answer- Disqus's comment system is way more interactive and immersive than phonearena's. Also disqus has way more registered users.
38. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Or you could just leave.. Please leave
3. csoulr666 (Posts: 88; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
Sigh...... most people go "MOAR PIXELS" without even using those particular phones with a lesser count. The M8 for one gives photos good enough for people posting on Social media, though not for photography enthusiasts which are comparatively smaller than the former crowd.
6. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
If you don't ever have to crop or do any modification to the photo it's still only alright. Regardless of if we need a million mp's 4 just isn't going to cut it.
16. engineer-1701d (Posts: 889; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
still it should be 8up not 4up for the reason of detail but more so for the zoom factor, if i am on a job site take a pic then later have to look back on the pic for info on the nameplate i need zoom.
22. cezarepc (Posts: 564; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
4MP superultramega pixel (or whatever you want to call it) is not worth the money.
24. UglyFrank (Posts: 381; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
The "good enough for social media" argument relies on the consumer being able to settle with something average. It is a slap in the face and insinuates that customers are stupid.
4. bradley8795 (Posts: 30; Member since: 19 Nov 2013)
Was there really anyone that visits this site that did not know that? Seriously no news is better than this.
7. jsdechavez (Posts: 702; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Lame 4MP camera on that engineering wonder.
9. yahia_malka (Posts: 98; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
You idiots , 4 ultra pixels means 8 mpxl or more , I saw it in an interview for a HTC employee
11. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
No its not, 4 mp is still just that. The pixels are just bigger but not more detailed.
Read up before you call everyone idiots. It's a great phone but the camera was the weak spot
27. Muayyad (Posts: 107; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Compare the two cameras. The front one made by Samsung and has no details at all compared to 4 mp UltraPixel camera. Picture size is bigger but pictures have no details at all. I even prefer the 2.1 mp omnivision front camera from the m7 than the 5mp on the m8.
12. Skidro13 (Posts: 58; Member since: 27 Jul 2010)
This was one of the reasons I traded my M8 for the G3. I do miss that huge selfie prowess.
29. Skidro13 (Posts: 58; Member since: 27 Jul 2010)
I adore every part of it! So much! The interface mainly. It subtly has an insane amount of useful options while looking clean like sense 6
23. zhiae (Posts: 174; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
im sure u dont like display ,interface and u miss cold metal if ur geek u will miss
its dev community
30. Skidro13 (Posts: 58; Member since: 27 Jul 2010)
The display is incredible dude? The dev community is growing quickly since its an awesome phone. metal is cool, but not when I slapped a case on it on day 1.
19. na7noo7 (Posts: 224; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
I sh*t my pants when I seen this March 2014 news in August.
20. miki298 (Posts: 2; Member since: 04 Jan 2014)
It would be better that they put the ultrapixel sensor on the front,and a 5 mpx rear camera,but still ultrapixel
21. gigaraga (Posts: 921; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
First thing that came to mind about this article was the HTC One M8. I think most of the people already knew that.
25. Muayyad (Posts: 107; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
Yeah the front facing camera is 5 mp but takes crappy pictures compared to the back Ultrapixle 4mp camera. No charpness at all in the front facing camera and has very poor low light performance. Mp junkies.
31. Max_Boost (Posts: 53; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
PA barely knew about the HTC One M8 front camera has more pixels up front than the rear ultrapixel? LOL
33. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3202; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
I was one of the first to predict htc one m8's
Please excuse the trolling attitude, I was really pissed of by htc fanboys those days(the pathetic ones). :D
36. Rain017 (Posts: 8; Member since: 11 Jul 2014)
i don't know to you guys but i love my Ultrapixel if you haven't used it then stop trolling about it manual setting is perfect for me the low light shots are fantastic cropping is quite disappointing though but i don't crop all of my pics yep 5mp front is the best but Ultrapixel is way better though
37. Alex123 (Posts: 221; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
I did know that PA and in response to your question "it’s an interesting occurrence - to have a phone with a front shooter with more megapixels than its main one, isn’t it?" i would say NO, i have never used the so-called Ultrapixel from HTC but my brother and friends used it and they all are disappointed