Did you know that some phones already use a sapphire screen?
0. phoneArena 12 Jul 2014, 05:02 posted on
Sapphire is the new buzzword in smartphones - the material, second only to diamond in terms of hardness, is almost impossible to scratch, and it’s expected to make a splash if Apple releases its iPhone 6 with a sapphire display…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1151; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
this makes S5,G3,5S Z2,.LOOKING LIKE TOYS.
4. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 847; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Toys no way.. this vertu is just carry a premium price tag and great materials but it is not the best looking at all. For my taste Z2,5s,g3 is way better than this vertu. Premium materials does make device look premium but also many devices like nokia lumia 930,icon,HTC one x which are made of polycarbonate does look equally attractive.
19. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2976; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Only the frame..........................
36. techperson211 (Posts: 678; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
One thing for sure . We knew all about vertu. We dont care about sapphire if its functionality is just crappy.
6. likemorethan1 (Posts: 47; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
Z2, M8, Lumia 930/Icon, iPhone 5s are better looking than this phone.
7. TylerGrunter (Posts: 997; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
I would say that a phone with a 3.7-inch display with a resolution of just 480 x 800 pixels IS THE TOY!
9. garlic456 (Posts: 187; Member since: 24 Dec 2012)
Wvga at screens under 4 inch look like hd. It probably has 250 ppi or something. And dual core 1.7 ghz proccessor isn't bad, you can play most of the games w/out lag.
14. TylerGrunter (Posts: 997; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
800x480 is just 250 dpi on 3.7" screen, so far from HD unless you go to a gargantuan 6-inch screen.
And just the 3.7-inch screen makes sure it´s just a toy compared to the S5,G3,5S, Z2.
22. na7noo7 (Posts: 263; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
Have you seen the Black Diamond iPhone 5? It is made out of more than 100 diamonds with a gold back plate, that makes the Vertu Ti look like a Phone from 50 cents. Besides, the Ti has a Huge Bezel, so the G3 looks much, much better.
39. thesims2customs (Posts: 20; Member since: 12 Jul 2014)
But that iPhone not using sapphire yer. And agree with the rest, this phone maybe looks fancy, but excusme, for what I spend my money for thing that just have a good look? –I mean good materials
31. ikenvape (Posts: 65; Member since: 28 May 2014)
No, its just business tactics. Price something ridiculously high for a specific consumer market and people will buy. I'm in retail and see it happen all the time. Sure some components are of high quality but with electronics, software and support is also key. Vertu is for people that have more money than they know what to do with.
35. Neo_Huang (Posts: 455; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
Actually I think this looks more like a toy.
2. TheNeighbor (Posts: 106; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Sheesh. I'd rather stick to practical and versatility than spend $11k on something that can't do much.
5. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 847; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Yeah, this phone is not for average customers like us . I mean $11k for a phone?? lol . I wonder if this ever got updated to jellybean?!. Just premium metal no premium specs.
3. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 847; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Thumbs ups to Apple if they use sapphire glass on next iPhone as rumoured. True Apple is not the first company to bring new stuff like sapphire glass etc to phones even though many thinks they are which is kinda stupid, but they do execute things better also they popularise it better and make a trend in market. But i hope this sapphire glass don't increase overall cost too much . iPhone is already too damn costly.
8. Bozzor (Posts: 130; Member since: 02 May 2012)
Tag Heuer Meridiiist Infinite also uses sapphire: believe a few other, very low volume (less than a few hundred built each year) high cost (a few thousand dollars) also use it...
11. malakas87 (Posts: 8; Member since: 25 Jun 2014)
Motorola AURA also has sapphire screen glass, but it's not touch.......
10. gigaraga (Posts: 1226; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I thought I would be surprised but of course it had to be a phone that is really expensive
13. wilsong17 (Posts: 972; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
I don't want your cheap aluminum no thanx
15. Genersis (Posts: 197; Member since: 29 May 2013)
I really can't imagine sapphire screens becoming a thing any time soon without serious cost-cutting measures in other departments.
16. bhavya26 (Posts: 4; Member since: 11 Dec 2013)
u forgot vertu signature touch which has all the good specs with all premium material
17. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5482; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Did you know that some phones already use a sapphire screen?"
Yes, Victor H. and I already have informed people about that in this article:
18. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5482; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Victor H. you should update your article because not only Vertu Ti use Sapphire glass for screen protection!
You should add those also:
Vertu Signature Touch
Vertu Constellation (2013 model)
Vertu Constellation (2011 model)
Vertu Constellation Quest
Vertu is using Sapphire glass like a minimum 3 years already or maybe even for a longer time.
21. vincelongman (Posts: 1330; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
I think Noka (who used to own Vertu) also made a phone (but not smartphone) with a sapphire glass about 10-5 years ago
I cant remember what it was called, but it was also a luxury phone priced similarly to the Vertu phones
23. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5482; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
It could be true because Nokia was founder of Vertu back in 1998 and that's why Vertu was using only Nokia phones back in days. So basically Vertu was luxury line of Nokia. Later in 2012 Nokia sold Vertu so now we can see Vertu running Android OS.
24. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5482; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Also back in 2008 was released Motorola Aura which also had display protected with Sapphire glass.
26. dratomic (Posts: 464; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
I own a constellation quest. but it was not mentioned in the user manual that it uses sapphire glass
28. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5482; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Go to the page 9 --> Looking after your phone --> Ceramics and sapphire
30. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5482; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
TAG Heuer MERIDIIST INFINITE also use display protected with Sapphire glass.
20. na7noo7 (Posts: 263; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
I've seen the Vertu Signature Touch that has a Sapphire Screen.
27. Tommy-Ka (Posts: 7; Member since: 10 Jul 2014)
Wasn't Motorola Aura also using a sapphire glass screen?
32. amiaq (Posts: 481; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
Lot of BS here, To me Apple created and invented saphire. Full stop.
33. xfire99 (Posts: 542; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
IP6 isnt using real sapphire glass display and its just sapphire COATED!
It wil lcost a fortune if its real sapphire glass display. -.-
34. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5482; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"It wil lcost a fortune if its real sapphire glass display"
Real Sapphire =/= Industrial Sapphire
37. willard12 (Posts: 822; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Samsung's Gear watches use sapphire glass. Apple is likely acquiring sapphire glass for the iwatch.
40. a_tumiwa (Posts: 280; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
plus Titanium Body, this is a real deal for rich man