Did you know that Samsung once struggled to make mobile phones comparable to Motorola's?
0. phoneArena 31 May 2014, 15:41 posted on
In the beginnings, Samsung had difficulties making mobile phones: its early models weren't good enough to compete with what Motorola was offering...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Manti123 (banned) (Posts: 207; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
Actually, The abscence of Nokia in the Android arena enabled Samsung to be the largest phone manufacturer.
So lucky Samy. Microsoft did a huge favor for you when they killed the legened Queen NOKIA
8. LeBrownJames (Posts: 201; Member since: 17 Mar 2014)
Actually half of that favor should go to Elop. He was the one who engineered Nokia's downfall.
24. SayMobile (Posts: 60; Member since: 29 Jan 2014)
actually in around 2010 when nokia was still the leaders of the mobile phone industry and android was still young as a platform with samsung no where in the scene, nokia had released a statement saying " due to their amazing vertical integration samsung will dominate the android space in d near future" so keep calm fanboy and keep your irrelevant theories to yourself , its not d absence of nokia that has made samsung what it is today
35. cncrim (Posts: 629; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Nokia didn't make the same choice as Samsung. If everyone know the future then it is no fun, because no innovation and competition.
Multi-dollar question: "Do you know what will be the next revolution product in electronic world?"
3. tatail (Posts: 232; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
I was really saddened and surprised at the same time when Nokia announced that they were not going to produce Android phones. I still remember my G1, man that device sucked but it was what started Android and look where things are.
I really think Nokia in Android arena would have made the competition more exciting.
5. Manti123 (banned) (Posts: 207; Member since: 10 Apr 2014)
The competition would not have been more exciting, because Nokia would be a single dominant player. Like how is now happening with WP, or before with Symbian, featured phone, basic phones.
7. akki20892 (Posts: 3755; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
I agree.....Nokia shouldn't give any OEM chance to dominant in android.
26. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Know there would've been Nokia 8series Android
Nokia Eseries Android
Nokia Xseries Android
Nokia Nseries Android
Nokia 9series Android
19. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
well now the King is dead. Long live the King.
4. bob_monkeywarts (Posts: 236; Member since: 14 Apr 2014)
"...Only 30 ounces..." "...typing on an 'electronic' computer..."
9. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6975; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I remember during the late 90s MOTOROLA RAZR was the #1 flip phone in the u.s. used to own the MOTOR KRZR myself most my very first phone was a NOKIA when we used to change the face plate with custom covers. that was before we have all these fan boys based phones. Phones were great back then and they were no law suits also.
10. redmd (Posts: 1004; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Old Motorola phones have good quality cellular radios. I'm not so sure about their Android phones today.
12. grahaman27 (Posts: 358; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Moto x has best reception, the legend lives on.
23. jroc74 (Posts: 5260; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
One reason I stay a Moto fan is because of this. And this is the reason why I dont like Samsung phones.
The more things change....the more they stay the same....
32. p0rkguy (Posts: 684; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
Late 90s? The RAZR didn't release til 2004.
11. androtaku (Posts: 215; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
so motorola was the first to make a phone!
samsung is junk because they not the first
13. Droidrapist (Posts: 186; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Luckily for Samsung, the iPhone was invented and they were able to steal all of its ideas and put into a cheaper package that was easy to hack and easy on the wallet so all the cheap bastards that couldn't pass AT&T credit check or afford an iPhone outright were able to now have a touch screen smart phone - and say to themselves over and over "this can do everythign the iphone can do, this can do everything the iphone can do, this can do everything the iphone can do" and they kept brewing hate against Apple to compensate for their sevire insecurity, projecting their weaknesses into an abstract company. Welcome to the modern era! xD
20. VZWuser76 (Posts: 2490; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
And where do you think Apple copied their phone tech from? I'll give you a hint, it's the company the article is about.
21. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
lmaoooo. what does the iFeaturePhone do? oh yes. it can play 480p videos on it's RETINA screen, it can take photos with a featureless camera app and of course download apps and have facebook. what an achievement. glad you guys now have the AMAZING control center. hey, it's innovation. now you can access the CALCULATOR quickly.
29. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6975; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Apple also stole the design from SONY prototype phone. so everyone copies from each other. stop saying SAMUNG copies
31. p0rkguy (Posts: 684; Member since: 23 Nov 2010)
AT&T credit check, what? If you have a device on the carrier you've already passed the credit check.
Easy on the wallet, what? Android is easier on the wallet, since when?
15. vijaysivakula (Posts: 176; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Now Motorola should sue Samsung because Samsung copied Motorola or as the article says wanted to develop mobiles as good as Motorola. So they must have mentioned Motorola in one of their internal mails / communication.
16. Leo_MC (Posts: 680; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
20 years later Samsung still can't produce a good phone.
22. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
lmaooooooooooo. h*ll yeah they can't. while others can't even produce a phone without announcing losses and drama. #NumbersDontLie #WannabeBrands #OldPeopleRockASony.
30. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6975; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
At least they can compete with Apple
17. techloverNYC (Posts: 486; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Moto,Nokia, and blackberry bout to be things of the past in a couple of years.
27. strikercho (banned) (Posts: 156; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Well, do you know, phonearena, that Samsung still struggles to make better phones, than not only Motorola, but also Apple, Nokia and Sony? PS: Good to see Asian money well spent for comercial articles in PA.:)
38. refillable (Posts: 821; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
I think you are the one that gets paid, or that you're totally way behind the pack.
28. zain1986 (Posts: 6; Member since: 17 Feb 2014)
Ericsson also made some good phones in the 90's
34. cncrim (Posts: 629; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
All company will have it up and down. Look back in time all company has it moment sight Nokia with N lines line before the iPhone, Motorola with V lines in the early 2000, Blackberry Q line before iPhone, Sony with Erison line, and HTC early 2008 etc what happen to them now. Don't worry Samsung and Apple hater and lover, soon enough their faith will repeat.
36. Lauticol (Posts: 241; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Funny how they wanted to put telephones in a car and nowadays you'd have to pay a ticket