Did you know that James Bond's phone had a fingerprint scanner long before the iPhone or the ATRIX did?
0. phoneArena 23 Jan 2014, 10:16 posted on
Think your iPhone 5s is so cool with its fingerprint scanner? Well, it was beaten to it by the Motorola ATRIX 4G (released in 2011), which had one embedded in its power key. Sure, it didn't really work quite as well, but that's another story. But did you know that one particular phone – an Ericsson JB988 modified for the needs of one and only James Bond – had a fingerprint scanner back in 1997...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. MarkArigayo (Posts: 240; Member since: 18 Dec 2013)
There'll be no reasons for Apple to patent this "invention".
2. Bernoulli (Posts: 2186; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
I'd laugh my ass off if the uspto awards them the patent
7. androtaku (Posts: 214; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
bond office the Mi6 didn't patent their invention unfortunately,otherwise they could charge apple for some fee and pay bond salary
11. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
oh and did you know there were some winmo phones back in 2007 which had fingerprinter scanner but were never given credit because they were not made by the fruit company?!
13. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Hey, it's just plain rude to call them fruity. Besides, we're all supposed to live in peace and harmony (unless we sue, of course).
I think it's great that that big iTart in Cali' copies so much; it gives other OEM's a standard by which to "copy".
17. reckless562 (banned) (Posts: 1153; Member since: 09 Sep 2013)
never thought of it that way before, honestly. plus 1 man
3. alterecho (Posts: 1094; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
"20,000 volt stun gun had also been added to his personal phone"
Whats the battery life of his phone?
12. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 869; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Like James Bond it runs on Vodka Martinis.
4. trickster_qc (Posts: 83; Member since: 18 Jun 2013)
is this really an article about the fact that in a James Bond Movie, from over a decade ago, there was a fake/CGUI fingerprint scanner on a phone?
5. promise7 (Posts: 537; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Obviously a slow news day at Phone Arena if they're posting this kind of "news."
6. tedkord (Posts: 6417; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It also had an STD detector, a necessity is you're 007.
10. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Still forgetting the LG Expo had the scanner two years before the Atrix.
Dr Phil has pointed this out, I have a couple times.
Is it because it was windows mobile that's it's forgotten?
14. Stuntman (Posts: 823; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
He'll get a ticket for using a phone while driving. :)
15. Crispin_Gatieza (Posts: 879; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Atrix? iPhone? My Motorola ES400 (WinMo 6.5) had a built-in fingerprint scanner AND a built-in barcode scanner LONG before either was around. Sorry but somebody at PA doesn't know their history.