Did the FCC just give thumbs up to the LG Nexus 5, spotted on the KitKat unveiling video?
0. phoneArena 05 Sep 2013, 21:48 posted on
You might remember on Wednesday that video we showed you of the KitKat statue unveiling on Google's lawn that showed someone using a mysterious Nexus branded phone to take a picture; right away, the interwebs burned up with news that this mysterious device was an LG built Nexus 5 smartphone. On Thursday, we can pass along the news to you that a phone similar to this device just got thumbs up from the FCC...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
Good job on the find S4GRU! Woo, this is exciting that a Nexus might be coming to Sprint again, looks like Verizon will be left out this time...understandable considering their history with releasing updates.
39. Synack (Posts: 677; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Those bands cover AT&T/TMobile/Sprint. No Verizon support here. Not a shocker.
2. Hammerfest (Posts: 382; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Ugh... I want to know the display resolution!
3. Gigabinzle (Posts: 37; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
am i the only one who thinks those backs are different ?
7. heyhi (Posts: 131; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
just thought the same thing.
the one with the guy looks more squarish.
the other pics are kind of rounded.
12. gorticus (Posts: 1; Member since: 05 Sep 2013)
Yeah I agree, the video device looks very square. Also the camera doesn't appear to be in same corner.
14. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
How does the camera not appear to be in the same corner? In the documents you are look at the inside of the back cover, if it were on the phone it would look exactly as in the picture.
38. SellPhones82 (Posts: 569; Member since: 11 Dec 2008)
Yeah the pic is of the inside so camera is in the same spot. It does look more rounded though.
40. alila2 (Posts: 134; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
First render based on the leaks , suggest a squarish corners : http://tctechcrunch2011.files.
42. Trex95 (Posts: 877; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
Hope this true with these thin bezels and bigger screen.
26. sid07desai (Posts: 290; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Nexus would never be printed in landscape. On Nexus 4, it was in portrait. So yeah, this is fake.
27. blingblingthing (Posts: 521; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
So google posted a fake video then pulled it why?
36. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
First N7 was printed on the back in portrait, second N7 was printed on the back in landscape.
5. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1097; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I personally would never buy a Nexus phone on any carrier because the carriers then get to control when you get your updates. Hopefully, this new iteration of the Nexus will keep the low-cost unlocked price set by it's predecessor.
34. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Maybe CDMA, my GSM Nexus 4 has never gotten updates from anyone other than Google. I received 4.3 about three days after it was announced.
6. Yankchef (Posts: 76; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
I'm hoping for a device I can get in the play store and use on sprint, hasn't existed yet and this looks like it could be it
8. galanoth (Posts: 424; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
I wonder if they will put 1080p in this device.
Considering the document shows a 2300mAh battery.
1600x900 at 4.96 is still 370 ppi. Just sayin.
23. Kal-el (Posts: 93; Member since: 14 Dec 2012)
.....everyone asking for 1080p screens.....WHY? i've used both 720 and 1080 side by side and could barely note the difference ...otherwise u wouldn't even know...key is colour - reproduction and Nits aka sun visibility...720p over 1080 since batterys bettery too and cheap to make too
24. galanoth (Posts: 424; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
They are upgrading the screen size so they shouldn't use 720p.
The PPI at 720p would be below 300.
The Nexus 4 has has 318 PPI.
It doesn't make any sense for an upgraded phone to be less sharp.
25. Kal-el (Posts: 93; Member since: 14 Dec 2012)
i see ur point and yeah it would be possibly be a down grade but by "sharp" u mean specs wise not ...what Human eyes can't tell the difference wise
29. NexusPhan (Posts: 608; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
New Droids are 720P with 5" screens. And those are top price devices. The Nexus is a budget device. I'd be surprised if it's anything but 720P. A 4.96" screen is still 296 PPI. That is plenty!
10. a_merryman (Posts: 749; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
2nd image at the bottom where it says "Battery Options"
11. md227a (Posts: 139; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
This news makes me happy, mainly that it will have lte! That was the only reason I opted not to get the nexus 4
13. AAPL1 (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
I would say its going to be 720p resolution because judging from the back plate it looks to be based on the lg g2 with a slightly smaller screen. The g2 has a 3000 mAh battery and this has just a 2300 mAh. Seems like 1080p would result in crappy battery life given the battery size. Plus if the new droids are any indication we can tell google is ok with going 5.0in in screen size with 720p. I'd say we're looking at 720p. Not to mention a 720p panel would keep cost down as well.
16. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4271; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Google had little influence on the Droids. The only place where they had influence in Motorola products are the software (close to stock) and the Moto X. It was Motorola's independent choice to put a 5" 720p panel on the Ultra and Maxx, I'm sure Google had nothing to do with it.
15. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4271; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
1080p LCD-IPS, 3 GB of RAM(?), and a Snapdragon 800 are probably going to be the Nexus 5's specs. Hopefully it will have an awesome camera too, it better be amazing if the opening for it is that big. Really, that thing is just gaping, almost as bad as (formerly) Nokia's devices.
30. NexusPhan (Posts: 608; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Only thing you might be correct on there is the Snapdragon 800. Maybe.
35. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Agreed, it doesn't need 3 GB of RAM and adding it would only add to the phone price, something Google has been fighting.
17. AAPL1 (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
The top and bottom bezels are going to be really small on this thing. when measured diagonally theres only 19.7mm of space left for bezels. If they're the same size that only 9.85mm per bezel but that's measuring diagonally so it doesn't paint the perfect picture. Still you can tell its going to be pretty much all screen. Judging from the measurements it looks to definitely beat the s4 in bezel size.
18. Mass88 (Posts: 56; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
Glad to see this thing is probably going to have less than a 5 inch screen. They should have just stuck with 4.7 like the Nexus 4, or maybe bumped it up to 4.75, or 4.8. That's the max screen size for a phone, imo.
Hopefully this thing also has a small bezel like the LG G2.
20. promise7 (Posts: 857; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I guess Google still holds a grudge against Verizon from the Galaxy Nexus days.
33. iampayne (Posts: 322; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
But did Sprint really do much better with the Nexus S
28. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1982; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
wanna see a sample pic of that kittkatt.from nexus 5..
31. blahb (Posts: 48; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Not cool, was really looking to get a Nexus 5 for use with my VZW unlimited data.
41. Jklaz (Posts: 159; Member since: 01 Jul 2013)
^^this. I don't know what phone to get off contract to keep my unlimited data.. The nexus offers the best total package at a low price point . buy we don't get it
37. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I hope the LG NEXUS 5 is as tasty as KITKAT