Did Steve Jobs secretly admire Mark Zuckerberg?
According to Walter Isaacson, who recently spoke to Washington Post CEO Donald Graham, Mark Zuckerberg was among the few people that Steve Jobs held great respect for:
"I once asked Jobs who [he] admired in the Valley"... "Mark's was the first name on his lips."
As you probably remember, Apple once tried to offer a social service itself, in the form of Ping. The service had Facebook integration, but apparently Steve and company didn't ask for Mark's permission. As a result, Facebook cut Ping's access and Apple's service turned out to be a failure (for that, or some other reason). Interestingly, when asked by Isaacson why Apple won't try to enter the social networking biz again, Jobs replied "Maybe because Mark did it so well. There's not a need for a whole lot of social networks and Facebook has got it licked."
At the end of the day, these are both great men, who we should admire for inventing the great computers and means of communication we have today.
1. Mitchel posted on 18 Jul 2012, 06:28 21 4
I do admire both Steve Jobs & Mark Zuckerberg.. They're both great on stealing other ideas..
8. tigermcm posted on 18 Jul 2012, 07:46 2 0
well put, I never understood why people credit Mark for social networking when there was Hi5, blackplanet, collegeclub, migente etc. The foundation where there already
11. Ray.S posted on 18 Jul 2012, 08:10 7 5
Because they could never create something as popular as what he did.
14. PhoneArenaUser posted on 18 Jul 2012, 09:32 2 0
There always is someone who is the most popular in his kind and that's mean if there was no Facebook, then any other social network was most popular. That doesn't make Facebook more special...
22. SugarShockFrantic posted on 18 Jul 2012, 21:51 1 0
facebook MASSACRED myspace...nuff said
15. maxican16 posted on 18 Jul 2012, 09:33 1 0
I can respect their creativity and what they were able to accomplish. I will never respect or admire either as a human being.
20. Abdul92 posted on 18 Jul 2012, 19:25 0 0
That's fine. Because you don't know either one as a human being. How can you have an opinion on someone that you know so little about.?
19. parkwaydr posted on 18 Jul 2012, 16:25 0 0
many people still believe he stole the idea.
the fact that he didnt start working on facebook until he was contacted to work on connectu is a story with more holes than swiss cheese.
12. MthokozisiG posted on 18 Jul 2012, 08:23 3 0
Because both Man did it so much better than anyone has ever done it before. The proof is in the popularity...
16. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 18 Jul 2012, 10:48 1 0
By that logic, McDonald's makes gourmet burgers.
Facebook has is riddled with so many security issues it's a wonder people even use it.
2. PhoneArenaUser posted on 18 Jul 2012, 06:38 3 0
I have heard that Jesus, Buddha and Queen of England is in genealogical tree of Steve Jobs. Now all share these rumors all around and inflate Steve Jobs pop icon bubble!!!
4. gwhyte01 posted on 18 Jul 2012, 06:45 7 1
Who gives a damn. What does this have to do with cell phones.
13. 9_HeLLs_oF_DrOid posted on 18 Jul 2012, 09:12 1 1
Dude, that is exactly the thought that came into my mind after I read this!
5. PAPINYC (limited) posted on 18 Jul 2012, 07:19 0 3
Makes perfect psychological sense; admire and iDolize what you are not [Steve]: 'sociable', good-looking, genius and young. And, "anatomically" correct.
7. cepcamba posted on 18 Jul 2012, 07:45 2 0
Jobs was very good looking when he was younger. And, though I'm not much of a apple product user, I have to admit he is more of a genius than Mark.
6. cepcamba posted on 18 Jul 2012, 07:41 3 0
Agree on most of what was said on the article, but neither of them actually "invented" anything. They only improved existing ideas.
21. Abdul92 posted on 18 Jul 2012, 19:31 0 0
Disagree, to say that neither one invented "anything" is crazy. The ideas that both men had and the level they excelled it to in recognition enough
10. Bluesky02 posted on 18 Jul 2012, 08:03 1 0
PA Should interview Steve Job's ghost directly, he's available around midnight for an interview at his graveyard, just be sure to bring an iPhone with you, else he would rip your body off
18. Elvis. posted on 18 Jul 2012, 11:30 1 0
I think Jobs and Zuckerberg would have made a great couple.