Did Samsung show off the Galaxy S III at CES?
0. phoneArena posted on 17 Jan 2012, 09:25
During Samsung’s CES press conference, they covered a wide array of products from their portfolio, like cameras and other appliances, but at one point during the event when they were talking about the neat features of their Samsung WV850F camera, an interesting...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. tluv00 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 09:30 7 9
I see two problems with a bezel that small.
1) Constantly activating apps that are on the sides of the screen.
2) Too little bezel leaves little room for a case to grip onto the side and remain protective IMO.
Too much looks terrible but too little IMO can mess up the experience/durability of the device.
29. remixfa posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:35 5 1
one thing I read before is that they can control how sensitive certain parts of the screen are.. basically making the outter most areas of the screen less sensitive to accidental touch.
if that's the sgs3 I want it! I sure hope it has that second Gen gorilla glass.
60. sgogeta4 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 21:45 2 1
Samsung and Corning (who makes Gorilla glass) have a massive joint venture for fortified glass. Don't worry, even if it doesn't have a named product like the 2nd gen Gorilla glass, it's glass will definitely be on par or better - just like the unnamed fortified glass on their other products like the Galaxy Nexus.
49. Lucas777 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 16:24 0 0
it also looks a little oversized... the bezel is slightly too small but it looks uncomfortable to hold with ur hands on the sides anyways
52. Dr.Phil posted on 17 Jan 2012, 16:36 1 0
While I don't necessarily agree with you on the case point, because I think that having a good grip on the top and bottom would be enough to keep the case on the phone (and the picture shows there is a small bezel for a small grip on the sides). Also, I do think Samsung makes some of its own cases (or at least they work with a manufacturer to design the cases), so I would think they would have thought it through if this device is real and not a mock up.
But, your other point does bring up somewhat of a good question. I have wondered if Android would bring in double-tap to open up applications in the future. I myself have experienced from time to time opening up an app by mistake. I think it should be an option under settings whether you want to turn that on or not. So, if they fixed that problem, I am sure this would be a good phone.
2. XiphiasGladius posted on 17 Jan 2012, 09:30 18 3
Here's to hoping that is the SGSIII. . . W8 a sec, doesn't that resemble the sketch of the so called iPhone5? Damn the suing thing will rage on I guess.
3. cristhiansaid posted on 17 Jan 2012, 09:34 10 2
wtf????? samsung galaxy s III???? it is so thin and sexy.... lol
5. k1ng617 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 09:46 2 0
Although sexy it looks fake to me. Plus, why are the corners of the screen rounded? Screams mockup!
8. XiphiasGladius posted on 17 Jan 2012, 09:55 5 0
Sure it is a mock-up, but as I can remember most if not all phones started out as a mock-up design.
6. protozeloz posted on 17 Jan 2012, 09:49 2 0
looks like a Galaxy S2 look at the bottom you can see the home button witch could be of no use on a deice ruining ICS from the moments its shipped
7. XiphiasGladius posted on 17 Jan 2012, 09:51 0 0
Yeah the only physical difference I see is the widened screen.
61. sumdude posted on 17 Jan 2012, 22:16 0 0
That sure looks like a Galaxy Note to these eyes, distance and angle just makes it look like an edge to edge design.
62. Mario1017 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 22:29 0 0
no, the note is very different,
53. Synack posted on 17 Jan 2012, 17:05 0 0
Only the Nexus will be using the on-screen buttons. Currently the Nexus S and SGS2 are going to be upgraded to ICS and neither have the on-screen buttons. Also the SGS2 has that home button. So it is very possible.
55. protozeloz posted on 17 Jan 2012, 17:18 0 0
The idea so far is That everyone uses it because they can make better designs with their devices and have a clean look I can understand if a company like HTC takes some time to use the on screen buttons in its new concepts but Samsung has being using this for some time so maybe they are willing to use it to make smaller devices that look better
10. gallitoking posted on 17 Jan 2012, 10:11 3 15
is un ugly phone... ugly button on the bottom.. so much for carrryng ICS.. ohh wait by Q4 they wil announce that sometime in the 2013 it will carry ICS... thats Samsung for you guys
15. taz89 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 10:28 5 1
oh you become a troll now...if you believe the s3 will come without ics then your dumb...the gs2 line outside the US is already slated to get ics by the end of Q1 so please do dome research before trolling...and finally if you think thats the s3 because of rumours you are stupid because you should have learnt from the apple iphone 5 i mean sorry the 4s rumour mill that you shoulnt believe what you read unless it comes from official source.
18. gallitoking posted on 17 Jan 2012, 10:33 2 7
I guess karma does exist... didnt understand a word you said/typed... me a troll??? please... what gave that idea...
19. taz89 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 10:45 4 1
well you clearly cant read then can you?
23. gallitoking posted on 17 Jan 2012, 10:50 1 6
dont get mad... dude they do this to me all the time... so just breath... again..... there you go.. better now?
25. taz89 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:11 4 2
am not mad i just for once would like to get a decent comment back that looks like it is written by an intelligent person and not a child or a blind fanboy(i have nothing against fanboys but there are some pathetic fanboys from android,ios etc that annoys the hell out of me)
26. gallitoking posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:15 1 5
dont be quick to judge... what I said about the SGSII is my opinion.. either you respect that or not.. but u made a dumb comment and i reply... just letting you know..
27. taz89 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:22 3 0
but your opinion was wrong and right...wrong because the s2 international version will get ics by the end of q1(reason for the many s2 ics official leaks) but right in the fact that the US variant will likely suffer the same fate as the original galaxy s and recieve it very late.you will be wrong that the gs3 will not ship with ics as samsung have said many times that tw5 which is based on ics is already in the works and i bet the s3 will be announced with a new tw5 just like the past 2 years...please elaborate on what was dumb about my comment
31. gallitoking posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:40 1 7
-"and finally if you think thats the s3 because of rumours you are stupid because you should have learnt from the apple iphone 5 i mean sorry the 4s rumour mill that you shoulnt believe what you read unless it comes from official source."-
as of right now regarding the SGSIII all are just rumors as Samsung has not released any information regarding specs on that device..could be wrong but I havent seen anything official by Samsung...
35. taz89 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:52 4 1
''is un ugly phone... ugly button on the bottom.. so much for carrryng ICS.. ohh wait by Q4 they wil announce that sometime in the 2013 it will carry ICS'' if its a rumour than why make such bold statements as if its the truth.
50. InspectorGadget80 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 16:28 1 0
And your Iphone will always looks the same.
24. Leodrade posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:07 4 1
Don't feed troll, you got to know the ropes of Phone Arena, when Gallito, The Miz, Taco, etc, comment, just thumb down the comment and ignore it
28. taz89 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:23 4 1
sometimes its hard not to comment especially if that comment is obviously wrong
32. gallitoking posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:41 1 6
imagine if we all spoke the truth?... we speak our opinion.. thats what a public forum is...
36. taz89 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:55 4 1
nothing wrong with opinions as long as they can back it up.
38. gallitoking posted on 17 Jan 2012, 12:05 1 4
opinion do not need to back them up.. is my opinion and I am entlitled to it... c'mon.. dont be so sensitive.. take it as is... I make dumb (we all do) comments all the time.. to me that pic is an ugly phone.. I mean for a flag device it should be more than a cheap looking mini tablet
39. Arpad posted on 17 Jan 2012, 12:12 4 1
There is a fitting quote for you Gallitoking.
“It’s good to be open minded, just don’t let your brains fall out.”
40. gallitoking posted on 17 Jan 2012, 12:14 2 5
I like it.. thanks
57. jbash posted on 17 Jan 2012, 18:16 2 0
i find we differ in taste when it comes to phones but i agree with you on the fact that alot of ppl have their panties in a not.
...and the galaxy line is very sharp looking, the iPhone well.....femine,definetly meant for a woman's hands.
21. EclipseGSX posted on 17 Jan 2012, 10:46 7 1
how cute you are trying so hard to be the next taco50, at least he was entertaining, had SOME valid and constructive points and didn't talk like he weighed 400 lbs and out of breath all the time :)
33. protozeloz posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:46 6 1
Its not his fault typing must be really a lot of effort. And is definition of ugly really makes me laugh with the claims the galaxy is a copy exact replica of the iPhone so he is indirectly calling the iPhone ugly :)
41. gallitoking posted on 17 Jan 2012, 12:16 1 4
the only thing cute it that avatar of yours...never said it was a replica.. it looks a lot like it... which is different... besides lots of people think like me .. thats why the lawsuits have not ended..
44. protozeloz posted on 17 Jan 2012, 13:13 1 0
taken from the horses mouth the Galaxy S2 looks a lot like an iPhone and is Ugly then the iPhone must look ugly too. ;)
and I know my avi is cute :)
43. SleepingOz posted on 17 Jan 2012, 12:50 0 0
hahaha good point!
11. Leodrade posted on 17 Jan 2012, 10:15 1 0
Put a Samsung logo on top of it and it's my Galaxy Note, and about the bezel it's probably some effect because when a commercial for the HTC Titan launched in my country it seemed as if there was no bezel at all but actually the phone got a quite a big bezel
17. taz89 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 10:29 1 0
exactly its obviously a note but some are just plain gullible and dont use any sense.
58. E.N. posted on 17 Jan 2012, 19:46 0 0
It's the middle of January. As if we have any reason to expect any news iPhone news from Apple this early
22. jove39 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 10:46 0 0
And you were saving this article till CES ends ;) Throw a quad-core exynos and I'll ditch gNex for this.
30. RamyRamz69 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 11:36 0 0
Assuming this will be announced at the end of Feb/early March, it'll launch around June-July... Meh, too late to be honest -__- why didn't they just announce it at CES? Because they couldn't get ICS on it in January...
45. Morten posted on 17 Jan 2012, 13:14 0 0
It looks much like the version on this picture.
galaxy+s3&um=1&hl=da&sa=N&biw= 1311&bih=684&tbm=isch&prmd=imv ns&tbnid=WnI1ldYV5QJd8M:&imgre furl=http://m.christianpost.co m/news/samsung-galaxy-s3-to-be-waterproof-67311/&docid=is_hKXh5cIFiHM&im gurl=http://images.christianpo st.com/full/49743/samsung-galaxy-s3.png%253Fw%253D300&w=586&h=6 50&ei=4MYVT8myBo-Vswa4nOAL&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=1 056&vpy=25&dur=1058&hovh=236&h ovw=213&tx=140&ty=131&sig=1178 92525704469337781&page=3&tbnh= 155&tbnw=160&start=36&ndsp=20& ved=1t:429,r:4,s:36
46. Forsaken77 posted on 17 Jan 2012, 13:25 1 0
Or it could just be a remote control that's camouflaged to look like a phone.
48. Gdrye posted on 17 Jan 2012, 15:23 0 0
love the look of the phone, but would be dissapointed if the "home" button stayed, with it being ICS why would you not have on screen key functions? plus it would make bezeless mean a whole new thing....unless i just made that word up just now
59. intos posted on 17 Jan 2012, 20:38 0 0
it seem sooo thiny... and i really dont understand this fashion to make the phones extremely thin... where is the end ?? to make it like a paper ?or maybe to disappear ...
who knows ... by the way looks super...
63. trollface posted on 17 Jan 2012, 23:45 0 0
what happened to the bezel??? looks cool but... i really wish samsung would step up their quality
64. TheLibertine posted on 18 Jan 2012, 09:33 0 0
Im sure they will use better materials than what they did with the Galaxy S-models before. Could be the greatest smartphone outta there for 2012, like the Galaxy II was in 2011.
65. JamesVURV posted on 18 Jan 2012, 12:50 0 0
This looks exactly like the Samsung Note to me....
66. XrandomdroidX posted on 19 Jan 2012, 08:40 0 0
i dont think it is. ice cream sandwich doesnt use hard kays but softkeys integrated into the software.it might be a new midend phone,seeing quadcores coming into the market,duocores are the midend sections now i guess.....