Did Google threaten Acer to revoke its Android license if it launches its Aliyun OS-based smartphone?
0. phoneArena 13 Sep 2012, 07:04 posted on
Acer has allegedly cancelled the launch of its new CloudMobile A800 based on the Chinese Android-based Aliyun operating system because of a Google threat…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. AndroidTroll (Posts: 359; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
Dafuq, Google?!? Dafuq? That sounds like something Apple would do, not Google. This is a shame. Dafuq?
3. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
There is where you get with your "Googlegoodapplebad"-view on life, gentlemen...
16. AndroidShiz (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
It's called not letting China have an operating system that they can call there own, based off of an operating system that you freaking own. Imagine Amazon, but backed by the Chinese government. You'd have more phones like Huawai, but stealing your information even more.
25. UlyssesGhost (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)
The Aliyun OS is not based off Google; it is not a fork of android. Supposedly the latest update will be able to run android apps.
28. phitch (Posts: 214; Member since: 06 Mar 2012)
Wouldn't that make Google 100% liable for pirated .apks being used on that OS?
38. robinrisk (unregistered)
It seems that members of the OMA can not sell phones with incompatible versions of android. Apparently Acer is a member of the OMA (or OHA, i cant remember) and they cant sell incompatible versions of android.
2. mercorp (Posts: 1021; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
that was why sJ said ''don't be evil'' is bulls***.
7. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Well, when you compare Google to other tech companies, Google is a lesser evil:
11. JoeBelfiore (banned) (Posts: 79; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
lesser evil = no evil? lol fanboys
19. kanagadeepan (Posts: 888; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Lesser Evil ----MUCH BETTER THAN---- FULL and FULL EVIL...
No EVIL = IMPOSSIBLE
40. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
exactly, every company is going to be evil - that is a give in.
4. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
Something tells me this would only be an issue to the chinese market. Though it is not a surprise that some company in China wants to create its own version of something else. That said, maybe Google should just let them go forth with the OS. I doubt they would have much success except in some limited local function.
5. bloodline (Posts: 706; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
untill its confirmed this is just a rumour
10. JoeBelfiore (banned) (Posts: 79; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
stop this, you are looking like a typical isheep now..
6. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Huh, now this is curious. Then, again, this could be payback for the stupid move by their gov't to not allow the sale of the N7.
22. rsxl5 (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Would be perfect :)
Close source of Android OS and continue development of them for selected non Chinese clients not manufacturing in China :)
Let Chinese government to rethink their position while orders placed to Chienese companies for devices with outdated OS are getting lower and lower.
Newest OS would be still developed but available only in closed bootloader version and for companies manufacturing outside of China :)
8. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Tit for tat works best. Specially when it's China :)
9. JoeBelfiore (banned) (Posts: 79; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
See.. This is Google's true side, now take that fandroids.
15. AndroidShiz (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
You do realize that if Google let out that system, a system based on Android, The Chinese would totally screw them over right?
18. kanagadeepan (Posts: 888; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
I agree your words... Only the half-eaten r0tten fruit company has all the rights to be evil in this world.... May be because, they have patented "EVIL" also...
12. AndroidShiz (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
Actually if Google let them take an operating system that is based off their own operating system, and unleash it to China like an idiot, rest assured that the Chinese government backed tech companies like Huawei, who of course puts nothing malicious in their phones to steal your information like they did in India and got kicked out, would without a doubt in the universe, screw Google over like Amazon is doing, but to the 100th power. This is a smart move. Just like having PCs built over there, they are finding all kinds of malicious bots that have been installed somewhere in the process. That's what happens when you outsource and then borrow from the enemy. Thank you Mr Greed.
26. UlyssesGhost (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)
If Google were to do that they would be idiots, but Aliyun OS based on linux, not on android. It is not a fork of android like TouchWiz is, it is an OS of it's own. As for Chinese spyware and Malware, that is another matter entirely.
33. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
Did you even read the article? My guess is no...aliyun is based on android. Touchwiz is not a fork of Android, it is a customized UI and nothing more
37. UlyssesGhost (Posts: 3; Member since: 13 Sep 2012)
If the article reported that aliyun is based on android, then it is clearly wrong. Search it on bing or google, aliyun is an alibaba program that was developed from linux, not from android. 2.0 just added cloud based support and the ability to run android apps. That would seem to make it a threat to android and thus, to google.
As for touchwiz, they integrate it into the deepest core of android. If it is not a fork, it is about as close to it as it can be.
13. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
What!? Google would never do such a thing. They're such an outstanding company that does nothing but constantly innovate They would never threaten another company like this and they only sue other companies for defensive purposes. (sarcasm)
17. kanagadeepan (Posts: 888; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
A big corporate can't be alive for long without being evil... But Google is the least evil of all...
Further, Aliyun is already based on Android... So it is natural that Google is asking Acer "If you want to develop device for a OS based on ours, atleast leave ours"... It is still better than suing Acer for using one OS that is based on their OS...
27. kanagadeepan (Posts: 888; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Less Evil BETTER THAN ALL-EVIL
No Evil = IMPOSSIBLE...
21. KingShango (Posts: 89; Member since: 16 May 2012)
Least evil of all? Are you kidding? Google is one of the worst. Try this on from Forbes:
Or how about this regarding their anti-trust practices;
I have know idea why so many people put Google up on a pedestal.
23. medicci37 (Posts: 1263; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
A Chinese company accusing Google of being anticompetitive. That's a good 1. China will not let Google launch the Nexus 7 in China, because of Google threatening 2 pull out of China. So its not just Apple that's at war with Google. Google is just using common sense in my opinion.
24. MartyK (Posts: 742; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
Here's why Google act this way:
And case anyone forgotten,
Google cited a major instance of that abuse in announcing its policy change: "a highly sophisticated and targeted attack" on Google and more than 20 other large companies aimed at stealing software code. "A primary goal of the attackers," Google said, was breaking into the Gmail accounts of Chinese human rights activists.
"Beijing's demands that Western companies collaborate in its efforts to censor political content on the Internet and snoop on the private e-mails of its citizens, several of whom have been prosecuted with e-mails supplied by Yahoo"
29. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
There is missing information here. Google obviously doesn't care about other manufacturers dabbling in competing OSes in any way, so why ACER, and why over this OS?
This is entirely based off one man's accusations and until more information comes along we should not rush to conclusions.
31. Aeires (unregistered)
Exactly, all one need do is look at what Amazon has done to Android. There's something political going on that wasn't mentioned in the article. Gotta be.
30. lyndon420 (Posts: 3658; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Whatever...acer didn't make the greatest Android phones anyway.
32. naga.appani (Posts: 36; Member since: 26 Nov 2011)
This Aliyun OS looks like a mix of Android & iOS.... Troll...
36. JoeBelfiore (banned) (Posts: 79; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Android look like a carbon copy of iOS... Troll...
34. EspHack (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
hope this alibaba os kills android soon, there is a russian alternative, too
35. joey_sfb (Posts: 5181; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
why would alibaba kills android or iOS for that matter. Both has the same root, linux. if alibaba come would it be any difference. iOS is derived from OS X which is darwin linux kernal.
in the end its still linux. no one want to reinvent the wheel that is freely shared. apple take others people idea and patent it, protect it fiercely and walk and talk like its own.
There will be consequence for all including apple.
39. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
thats why i hate manufacturer that just base its OS on android!!
41. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
you make no sense....zero sense...as in 0.0000000%