Did Apple corner the market on 4.5 inch sapphire glass displays?
0. phoneArena 20 Feb 2014, 00:05 posted on
The top man on the Canonical totem pole, Mark Shuttleworth, might have directed his ire at Apple and as a result, gave away a key secret. Shuttleworth stated in a teleconference that Apple snapped up three year's supply of the 4.5 inch sapphire glass panels that Canonical was going to employ on his Ubuntu handset called the Ubuntu Edge...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ihavenoname (Posts: 1570; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
I think that while 4.5 inches is bit on the compact side, I think that it's a good compromise. More space to play, yet quite compact.
2. alterecho (Posts: 1094; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
To me, Z1 Compact, with its 4.3 inch display, nailed it.
5. HansGoneInsane (unregistered)
We might stand before a new era of smartphone design. Lets hope Apple won't rise prices again for the "standard" non phablet iPhone, because 699€ was my absolute maximum price I would accept for a smartphone.
3. NoFanboy (Posts: 285; Member since: 18 Nov 2013)
They should go at least 4.7-5 inches. I guess a 4.5 is cool if they also release a phablet
4. Bozzor (Posts: 154; Member since: 02 May 2012)
I must admit that I am really looking forward to this: I know a bit about the value chain with this sapphire crystal and all the players have made some amazing breakthroughs in production tech and processes to get such a huge display (remember pretty much all sapphire crystals have only gone up to watch face size, even then making them in serial production can be tricky) made to the right quality and insane volume specs: this is brilliant innovation.
10. sprockkets (Posts: 1466; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
Corning already showed sapphire glass cracking way before their Gorilla Glass 3 after normal wear and tear.
Jokes on apple.
6. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
4.5 inches seems ideal. The device can still be made very compact and be quite pocketable as well. Not to mention have a larger battery.
12. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Where you you when 4 inches was ideal? Lol
7. darkkjedii (Posts: 14153; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Apple swinging for straight away center field in 2014. Hit a salami apple.
8. androiphone20 (Posts: 1601; Member since: 10 Jul 2013)
where have you been all this time dude? this place was getting a little boring
9. darkkjedii (Posts: 14153; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Needed a break from the constant fandroid hating lol. How's it going?
14. ameran (Posts: 48; Member since: 04 Dec 2013)
4.5 inches is too small. Apple needs at least 5 inches or larger up to 6 inches these days to complete with others.