"Diamond pixels:" here is a close-up of the Samsung Galaxy S4's display
0. phoneArena 30 Apr 2013, 06:01 posted on
The Samsung Galaxy S4 has one of the best displays out there, confirmed after rigorous testing of its 5-inch Super AMOLED panel…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. FlushGordon (unregistered)
But why can't Amoleds accurately render a Paper White web page?
I don't care how detailed and crisp it is but I just prefer IPS....its simply better when viewing HD MOVIES
2. ama3654 (Posts: 233; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
The S4 has much better whites than any IPS display now, check Displaymate review
8. juandante (Posts: 214; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
I'm sorry we don't care about "white brightness" if it's not realist at all. I don't mind watching a super white screen if all my pictures are not rendered naturally.
13. Trex95 (Posts: 482; Member since: 03 Mar 2013)
You must be kidding me lol. better whites than any IPS?! even my xperia t 720p dated screen still has better white than any Super Amoled screen, just compare it myself with S3 and note 2. I do agree with you 1080p Super Amoled on S4 it's an great screen but still can't beat IPS in higher brightness and pure white and the only screen with Amoled that has the highest brightness and bright white like IPS that comes with Nokia pure view 808 even with low resolution.
20. TylerGrunter (Posts: 703; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
What he said is that the Displaymate experts don't agree with you. Taken from the review:
"the Galaxy S4 has a more accurate White than iphone 5"
25. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
I dont understand why u folks are bedning over backwards over "whites"..watching movies, videos and pictures, veiwing websites all this stuff s great on a SAMOLED screen...hell why the fuss?
47. saffant (Posts: 173; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Cuz people love to hate and complain. They want those "perfect whites" just to show boat. The only place where the difference is noticeable (IPS/AMOLED) is on webpages, of which the background isn't even supposed to matter cuz your focus should be on the text/crispness—which the AMOLED FHD on S4 does great.
For anything else; movies; games; apps etc, AMOLED does a better job primarily because of its outstanding blacks which as we all know by know are the focal point of most multimedia.
But hey, haters gonna hate.
I tried my bro's Nexus 4 for a week; couldn't handle the hideous blacks and returned it for my Note 2 instead.
27. ama3654 (Posts: 233; Member since: 27 Nov 2012)
Check the display mates review Mr before you comment, the S4 on movie mode has much better whites at 65k than the iPhone 5(best ips display), and on Auto brightness its pulling over 400 nits on brightness almost matching the iphone 5 in sunlight visibility. Hate it as you like but AMOLED has caught up with ips display on pretty much any natural colour production, but LCD can never reach the awesome contrast of AMOLED display.
16. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
watch the diffrent here in screens for teh s4 and the htc one and you will see samsugn s4 doesn't pull real white colors and when veiwing videos the colors no as good as IPS displays.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
31. hung2900 (Posts: 648; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
It's standard mode, not professional mode or movie mode, man
75. Abbath (Posts: 99; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Dude its an equal trade off...S4 has gorgeous blacks and HTC One has awesome whites in a certain way
Translated that means better webpages, ebooks in general on the One and better movies, apps, games on the S4...like user saffant said above "blacks which as we all know by now are the focal point of most multimedia."
Personally I prefer the S4. Pluss all this fuss over freakking "whites" is just hate IMO
35. lovenyc8 (Posts: 164; Member since: 13 Mar 2013)
here is a video showing the white test on both screen the s4 and the htc one put the video on 07:31 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
=lIV1TRt0Bqkcheck it out guys and talk about it.
4. _Bone_ (Posts: 1734; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
They can but for battery reasons the white behind black text in browser is dimmer. It is still as readable cause of the better contrast and lower reflectability. The S4 actually beats out the iPhone 5 in white accuracy according to the same article, in movie mode.
10. tech2 (Posts: 813; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
does that mean in movie mode it will produce more accurate whites while browsing ?
24. _Bone_ (Posts: 1734; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Apart from the dimmer white background in browsing it always produces accurate whites, screen set to "movie mode".
51. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Downvotes from people who can't accept they made an amoled with good whites, sad.
52. chocolaking (Posts: 411; Member since: 22 May 2012)
hey, good white and blacker than black doesn't conclude a display screen to be the best. if it doesn't conheren with other colour. it still can't be a good display screen.
53. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The Galaxy s4 has good color accuracy, in professional photo mode is is almost at the Adobe RGB Standard (perfect color reproduction)
7. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4138; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Watching movies on a Super AMOLED screen is mind blowing. I have the Avengers movie in full HD on my GS3 and I blown away every time it plays.
15. tiara6918 (Posts: 1097; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
With the eye popping colors that the screen produces and the deep blacks. It's really enjoying to watch everything on a super amoled display
54. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The Galaxy S4 software has multiple modes, it can be set to proffesional photo mode if you want it to be and be damn close to perfect color reproduction.
33. ikkuh (Posts: 33; Member since: 22 May 2011)
For movies there no better display dan Amoled.
37. teerex42 (Posts: 93; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
Exactly it is a PREFERENCE. I have seen all screens and the super amoled screen blows the rest out of the water with their much deeper blacks and colors that pop out of the screen. I prefer the super amoled display and yes it is mainly a preference.
55. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Natural looks good, the 1440p panels that LG makes are astonishing quality/color reproocution (102% adobe) but the color pop on amoleds for games/movies will always be better.
3. Reverence (Posts: 197; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
I need RGB...thats it...if HTC can put a full HD resolution in smaller screen that samsung should do as well
6. _Bone_ (Posts: 1734; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
It also drains battery faster and you'll never ever see pentile pixels over 400ppi. Ever.
22. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3704; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
If its possible, the phone needs a massive battery, right?
56. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Yes its not possible to do full RGB without a lot of power.
5. juandante (Posts: 214; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
Secondly why do Samsung put so much money in those mobile handsets and forget about PC users ?
I would love to see those displays in a good laptop, it would be so much more usefull than on these tiny screens -_-"
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 4138; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Then get a MacBook Pro with Retina if you really care about sharp, crisp screen on a computer.
57. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Or get a 1600p IPS monitor with the 102% adobe RGB LG Panel and be amazed by everything.
11. Hemlocke (unregistered)
If you look closely, you can see the locked bootloader on the other side of the screen. So funny, all U.S. users will be locked to TW, with no ROMs, no OC, and no hope. Meanwhile, the lion's share of developers and development will come to the One, which is the same hardware worldwide and has been unlocked (No S-OFF, yet).
12. sharks (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Feb 2013)
Samsung is going for the AMOLED display, year after year, since it costs them much less as they are the ones who're pushing and manufacturing that display technology. However, the best display on any mobile device right now is the S-LCD3, which is found on the HTC One, with a ridiculously high PPI of 468 (the highest PPI in the industry right now!). AMOLED is a flawed technology at its root but Samsung has been able to greatly improve the results, although AMOLED will never be able to rival the display quality of an S-LCD3. Now, this might change when Samsung switches to OLED, but this is a debate we'll have to wait in the future phones, most probably not before 2014 or 2015.
17. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
htc one has the best screen on the planet on a phone.
39. teerex42 (Posts: 93; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
WRONG!!!! I've played with both phones. HTC's display does not compare to the Samsung Galaxy S4. super amoled is superior to LCD!!!!
42. Rayanx10 (Posts: 45; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
you never touched the htc one. samsung shep
49. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
What if he already touched one?
People must learn d word respect to ones opinion..
Htc one and other lcds myt win d most accurate display award, as far as we love punchy or vibrant display ythat overwhlms us everytme, no one cant argue with that..
58. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
It depends on your preferences honestly. The S4 has color pop/slight saturation. While the HTC One is natural looking but as with previous LCDs used in HTC phones on max brightness some colors are washed out.
72. iushnt (Posts: 376; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
I have used both..Personally S4's screen is a joy...it feels like paper prints and not electronic screen
18. SleepingOz (Posts: 2008; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
"So there you have it: the Galaxy S4 looks to have an overall better screen for most use cases."
"Winner: Samsung Galaxy S4. The Samsung flagship takes this one, as its screen is bigger, with better sunlight legibility, while still offering you the option to have accurate colors thanks to Adobe RGB mode. The HTC One screen is impressive, too, but the higher pixel density can't really make up for the lower native contrast and slightly inferior sunlight legibility."
21. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
here is as link for you mr. that s4 screen not the best one on the market nowhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v
23. SleepingOz (Posts: 2008; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
The only things the SLCD3 got over the SuperAMOLED panel of the GSIV is higher ppi(obviously, since it's a smaller screen but you won't be able to notice the difference with naked eyes) and higher brightness(yet still the GSIV's SuperAMOLED has a better sunlight legibility).
43. Rayanx10 (Posts: 45; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
SleepingOz is a lier why don't you paste what the reviewer said?
64. SleepingOz (Posts: 2008; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
Who's the liar exactly? Just don't take your own case for a generality man!
80. Rayanx10 posted on 04 APR 2013, 11:37 10 14
not because of the look i love everything about the HTC ONE
This comment is posted in response to #67 Hide
94. Rayanx10 posted on 04 APR 2013, 11:54 5 10
i have the note 2 its a great phone but its so last year and i will be getting the HTC ONE i want something fresh not the same phone all over like the s4 that is the s3 again
7. Rayanx10 posted on YESTERDAY, 02:55 21 22
I purchased the samsung s4 yesterday and took it back it is not as responsive as it should be. touchwiz sucks its damn laggy It has a cheap look and feel there is only a slight between it in the S3 the speaker is garbage. I took it back for a Brand new HTC ONE which is a more Sexy phone everything part in the htc one is quality htc uses expensive parts and all around killer phone love the htc one battery it last 2 days.
69. MariaGabriela (Posts: 12; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
SleepingOz you are the lying Samsung shep.
70. SleepingOz (Posts: 2008; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
"When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers" - Socrates
How many different accounts you have here?
38. Lauticol (Posts: 56; Member since: 25 Jun 2011)
Hey SleepingOz, why don't you paste what the reviewer said?
"So there you have it: the Galaxy S4 looks to have an overall better screen for most use cases, though I still prefer the sharpness and colour accuracy of the HTC One. Given the choice, I’d take the latter phone, but the Galaxy S4 is a fantastic choice for users who want a larger high-resolution phone."
63. SleepingOz (Posts: 2008; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
I have already replied to this comment yesterday.
The guy from Mobile Syrup says he prefers the HTC One SLCD but it's his PERSONAL OPINION!
It doesn't change the fact that he, himself, came to the conclusion, after testing both displays, that the SuperAMOLED is better!
Have you even read the whole article?!
And why do you seem to ignore the GSMArena's comparison. LMAO!
66. SleepingOz (Posts: 2008; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
*PERSONAL PREFERENCE not opinion..
since he, himself said that the GSIV is better in most cases. =]
40. teerex42 (Posts: 93; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
All 11 of you idiots that thumb down the truth are in denial!!!!
59. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
LCD 3 is 2012 technology, Samsungs newer amoled is better OVERALL but not at everything.
65. SleepingOz (Posts: 2008; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
There've been a lot of Samsung haters here lately, most of them have multiple accounts for massive thumb down.
I don't mind getting thumbed down though 'coz that's basically the only thing they can do since they can't really argue. I do understand their frustration. LOL
14. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
Although this is the best screen in a smartphone and also color accuracy is top notch but i like the punchy colors and richer tones (one can also call unnatural colors) of an amoled the same way we love love the exaggerated larger than life characters knowingly that they aren't real and natural looking in cinema...
19. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
I cant live w/o the vibrant and punchy colors w/ wow factor SuperAmoled, coz i have d freedom to make it oversaturated or more natural..
When im watching movies and if im tweeking my note2, i use the standard or dynamic, but when taking pictures i go with natural or movie.. my request is sammy shud integrate in the notif panel a quick settng for screen mode coz i use it a lot
26. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
Lol hahaha. Fine, im wrong with what i want :)
29. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 321; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
I just love the super amoled displays.
34. Irakli (banned) (Posts: 5; Member since: 30 Apr 2013)
samsung sheps are like apple sheps they like anything even if its garbage and everything the same samsung does even if they know its not the best and they lie to them selfs samsung sheps 101.