Deja vu: Samsung will continue to produce A8 chip along with TSMC
But alas, just like the previous versions of the story, Apple has not completely banished Samsung to live in the attic with Norman Bates. Truth be told, Samsung is currently rolling the A8 off a production line in its factory in Austin,Texas. While Samsung has suffered through a rather low yield, according to a published report out of Korea, the company is merely in the testing stage with mass production scheduled to begin next quarter. That gives Samsung time to straighten things out. Meanwhile, TSMC will continue to produce the A8 as well, with Apple hoping that it can procure enough chips between the two manufacturers.
Samsung is said to be struggling with the 20nm process used for A8 production, but this has not fazed Apple. According to VLSI Research CEO Dan Hutcheson, the alliance between Samsung and Apple "is still strong" when it comes to the Ax chip. This particular partnership between Samsung and Apple defines the term "Strange Bedfellows."
source: ZDNetKorea (translated) via BGR
1. lyndon420 (Posts: 2567; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Samsung parts are still going into apple products? Poetic lol.
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 14491; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I don't really see it stopping, and why should it. Samsung makes great components.
2. silencer271 (Posts: 254; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
now you isheep websites see how Samsung will make that billion back. Bet the price of processors from samsung will double among other components.
15. xfire99 (Posts: 596; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Samsung will earn much more if they dont produce any chips to idorkcompany. Then they wont have anything to sell.
3. blingblingthing (Posts: 493; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
But but Samsung only produces poorly built products. Why Apple? / sarcasm.
19. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
poorly built products? wrong! base on statistics samsung had the less number of consumers that sent their samsung gadgets back to the service center for repair compared to apple, sony, htc and plus samsung products can last a decade if taken care properly but apple like the ipad only last for 3 yrs before the internal components cook off
5. darkkjedii (Posts: 14491; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
No surprise there. It'll take at least a couple more years, to filter Samsung out of the chip supply chain. Jedii approved.
7. sprockkets (Posts: 1503; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
And the RAM, NAND and screens for their devices will just be coming from everyone else huh?
8. darkkjedii (Posts: 14491; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Call and ask them. I'm simply guessing, I really don't care.
13. joey_sfb (Posts: 3981; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Apple fan still hope to filter out Samsung parts in their beloved iGadget.
6. sprockkets (Posts: 1503; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
With the SG4 and SG5 being "meh", this lawsuit isn't really needed anymore.
9. alltechinside (Posts: 248; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
same story all over again. Every year we see this rumor about samsung not producing AX chip but it always turns out to be false....
10. skyline88 (Posts: 376; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
haha, to all iFans out there, smash in your face
11. Topcat488 (Posts: 1195; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
I can't wait to get my Applesung iPhone Phablet later this year... Hahaha Samapple too. O.o
12. gamblor77 (Posts: 102; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
That's too bad. I was really hoping Apple would be stubborn cut ties and end up f*ucking themselves. No other supplier could match their unsubstantiated demand for their steamy iTurds and the sh*t river would run dry.
17. darkkjedii (Posts: 14491; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude "steamy iTurds" "sh*t river would run dry". How old are you, like 13?
14. techperson211 (Posts: 913; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
Seems to me Timmy could not get rid off Sammy . How ironic.
20. applesucker (Posts: 81; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
then the retarded Ifans claimed the chipset as apple's innovation