Cyanogen 9 gets progress update
Word had come out before that OG DROID users would be out of luck when it came to Cyanogen 9, and that still stands, although the team is working to support devices back to around the Nexus One. The advice from Team Douche is that it may be time to upgrade if you still have an OG DROID. The team also explained that work is going slowly because they have to completely rethink the modifications and customizations that they had built into Cyanogen 7, because Ice Cream Sandwich changes so much of the functionality in Android. Also, the team has to build many drivers from scratch, because ICS breaks compatibility with camera and graphics drivers in order to provide "insane performance."
Apparently, work is moving faster on devices with either TI OMAP, Qualcomm MSM8660/7X30, and Samsung Exynos CPUs, and devices with those chips should see Cyanogen 9 first. There are also a couple Tegra 2 devices, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Asus Transformer, which should also see the ROM sooner rather than later.
1. vantenkiest (Posts: 308; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)
hopefully the Verizon Droid Razr can see some of this.. Unlocking the bootloader is becoming a pain the arse
14. Androidtidbits.com (banned) (Posts: 14; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
Only if Verizon allows to update their phones.
19. vantenkiest (Posts: 308; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)
yeah.. thats the pain.. but there is already a rom for the Vzw Razr.. its the Deodexed Rom.. allows themes to be installed. and change the boot animation and all that. nothing fancy no performance boosts or anything
2. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
after cyanogenmod 7 was such an epic fail on SGS2, maybe they will redeem themselves and focus on a release for it first...
4. vantenkiest (Posts: 308; Member since: 20 Apr 2011)
What happened that made it a epic fail on the galaxy s 2? first im hearing about it so i hvae to ask
5. bucky (Posts: 2134; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Youre right. They owe it to you to make sure its bug free and your pleasure to use. I think they should formally apologize to you on their website as well.
7. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
oh come on... don't be a douchebag just because i posted an opinion. i elaborated...
they don't owe me anything, i have a choice, and i just don't like theirs...
i respect what they do and will always try their roms and support them!
For those that thumbed down my post - do you own a sgs2 with cm7? if so, please elaborate why you think i am not right? othervise, you are just blind fanboys like those apple ones...
8. Dmann (Posts: 165; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
LOL. I had CM7 on mine for like 15 mins. Then went Batista and am now on Check.
It immediately started to conflict with many apps I had. And it was the stable release already.
But appreciate the effort and I admire the team. Will try CM9 for sure.
13. Martine (Posts: 102; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
SGS II, CM7 is one of the worst ROMS out there for SGS II. MIUI and others are much better IMO, although I must admit I also don't like MIUI because it's too iPhoney. I also tried CM7.1 but ran away after about 25mins of thorough testing.
Presently I'm using SlimROM 1.0.7 with Void.Echo......best of both worlds
16. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
CM isnt always the best. Its a brand name.. brands have good moments and bad. Over all, CM's finals are top notch stuff though, which is why so many people use the product.
DONATE TO YOUR DEVELOPERS. :)
17. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Tried miui for a while but got bored with it and missed alot of stock tw4 features...so I installed stock deodexed rom with jkay and ics domination theme which I believe is the best which makes the phone feel even better than out the box...didn't think a theme would make such a difference but it does
6. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
the only improvements were small typical cm tweaks that really didn't improve much functionality, but are fine and nice thing to play with (screen rotates to all 4 sides you hold it, there is the useless, but fun render effect, ui tweaks...).
but every core functionality of the phone was much worse than on stock
- video codecs/performance/hardware support was practically nonexistent, and as you know there is no better video player on the market than the stock sgs2
- sound was much weaker than on stock, with bugs on volume control and the dsp manager that can only be described as sound distorter...
- dull colors of the display with no ability to tune (as on stock)
- very bad battery life
- i love Kies air, and of course it's not there as it's Samsung software
and various other bugs and dissapointments that i can't remember right now, but you can check their forum, they even withdrew their final release and put it back to rc status because of all the bugs.
i appreciate what they are doing, but i just think that sammy nailed it with stock firmware on sgs2.
11. sgogeta4 (Posts: 393; Member since: 02 Feb 2011)
That's a pretty odd (and agreeably disappointing) experience you've had. It's weird since the CM team works for Samsung on their software team and they were given SGSII's before they were available to the public, so you'd think their CM7 would be more polished than the stock...
12. lukasound (Posts: 152; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
yes, i also think it's weird, but there are obviously at least 7 people here that were happy with cm7 on their sgs2... i wish they shared their experience. or are they just trolling...?
9. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
CM posted the progress update 8 days ago. This is hardly "new"s. XD
15. Androidtidbits.com (banned) (Posts: 14; Member since: 10 Dec 2011)
I'm looking forward for CM9 on ASUS Transformer Prime.
18. squeeb (Posts: 99; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Yea my OG Droid is getting a bit long in the tooth...I hope the D4 release drops the price of the D3 so I can snag one..
20. BenCjamin (Posts: 80; Member since: 13 May 2011)
I can't wait for this update to come out! I'm on 7.1 with my SGSII and loving it! But I can't Wait to see ICS on my phone. Also cyanogen noted that 7.1 is no longer considered a stable build for SGSII because of it's buggyness. Cmon update!