Could we see a 128GB iOS device soon? New iOS 6.1 Beta code indicatesâ€¦maybe?
iOS 6.1 Beta 5 was released to developers yesterday and there is a reference to 128GB capacity devices in the SystemPartitionPadding key in the release manifest. This reference has apparently been absent from previous releases, so perhaps it is an indicator of things to come.
However (grain of salt time), this is not conclusive in any way, shape or form. There have been hints in the past, and as we mentioned, we have not seen any devices or specs even approaching the subject. Having written that, seeing a 128GB iOS device seems highly unlikely to us, at least as far as the iPhone is concerned. Given the premium price-point of the iPhone, based on current pricing schemes, a subsidized 128GB iPhone would cost $500 and would list full retail for about $950. We do not expect that market research would return a favorable impression to that prospect. Then again, the iPhone's pricing scheme has not hurt sales of the device at all.
However, such a storage option on an iPad could make more sense, where a Wi-Fi only 64GB iPad retails for $699 and a 4G/LTE model comes in at $829. Such a price premium would be easier to absorb with the bigger hardware. Of course, all of this is conjecture, but over time we have seen our high-tech devices get faster and leaner, with many of them able to hold a lot more â€śstuff.â€ť
1. Dacha posted on 27 Jan 2013, 19:18 7 0
128 GB on a phone is overkill. Even on a tablet 64 GB is more than enough for 95 % of users.
12. MONUQ posted on 27 Jan 2013, 19:56 6 0
IF they don't charge $100 more for each capacity...i am willing to think of buying.....
Seriously apple who will take few gb in extra 100$.....
19. PapaSmurf posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:24 3 0
They'll charge an extra $100 or $150 since it's double that of 64GB.
31. HDShatter posted on 27 Jan 2013, 21:59 0 0
Sad thing is to make the 128gb storage it would cost less than $100. To see it cost more than $100 to make your looking right around 256gb.
33. Nadr1212 posted on 27 Jan 2013, 23:24 0 1
Author, y u writin, stuff that so kray kray?
35. Peter98 posted on 28 Jan 2013, 05:00 0 0
If they put this and drop other device storage extra price, I would love to.
21. mas11 posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:25 1 1
Why don't they just add a freaking micro USB slot? Oh wait this is Apple we're talking about if it doesn't make the item more profitable no matter how useful it is it's not gonna happen.
32. MC1123 posted on 27 Jan 2013, 23:07 0 1
so if this will come to android then you'll say that it is really needed, am i right?
would you mind to leave apple alone, if you dont like them r their products let it be, as if apple wants you!
39. mas11 posted on 04 Feb 2013, 12:03 0 0
Nope, for most people 16GB and a micro SD slot is more than enough. 128GB at such a steep price is highway robbery, but unfortunately most iOS users don't know better.
2. darkkjedii posted on 27 Jan 2013, 19:22 5 3
I'd b all over a 128 gig device. I don't care who makes it. 128 gig all internal, sign me up.
11. BattleBrat posted on 27 Jan 2013, 19:54 0 1
The Xperia Tablet S can take full sized SD cards, up to 128 gb, internal? no such 128gb animal as far as I know, you've been using apple products too long...
14. darkkjedii posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:15 2 0
Please re read my comment cuz your response to my post made absolutely no sense at all dude.
15. darkkjedii posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:16 1 0
I just read your post again and I can't believe u left that as a response to mine LMAOOOOO what a joke man.
22. BattleBrat posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:31 0 1
As far as I know only one device can handle 128gb without splitting it between the internal and the SD, and that is the Xperia Tablet S, I do not know of any device (outside of an Archos G9 101 250gb http://www.jr.com/archos/pe/AH
S_501891/) that has 128 gb of storage internal Your insistance on the memory being all internal reeks of ifan, although Nexus devices storage is generally all internal. Now please tell me what was so hard to understand about that
24. darkkjedii posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:44 1 0
Dude the article is an iOS article about the possibility of a 128 gig device. This isn't about ifan, it's about the p o s s i b i l i t y of such iOS device LMAOOOOO. U made another irrelevant comment lolwowwww. Please lol re read the article then read my post LMAOOOOO this is killer man I swear.
26. BattleBrat posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:47 0 0
You said you didn't care who made it. Well, do you or don't you.
28. darkkjedii posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:57 0 0
Bro lmao I'm done man. Lets just put it like this, my iPhone 5 is 64, my iPad 3 is 64. If they make a device running iOS with 128... I'm all over it, I'm not a huge fan of sd storage hence my emphasis on 128 all internal
18. darkkjedii posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:23 0 0
I'm still blown away that u responded to my post with that. I said 128 internal, but u mention sd card, I said I don't care who makes it indicating that it doesn't exists yet which I know cuz I said makes it in relation to the article mentioning that it may b made n the near future. U say I've been using apple products too long yet nothing that I use by apple has 128 which is y I said I'd b all over it, sign me up LMAOOOOO. Dude what were u thinking in your quest to bash myself, and apple? Lol wowww
23. BattleBrat posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:36 1 0
I dont hate Apple, I have a 64gb 4s, 64gb 3rd gen iPod touch, and 64gb iPad 4th gen (was gonna go used, caved in and bought a new one) But I Prefer Android, I didn't always, but the RAZR won me over (The webtop made me a believer)
3. rusticguy posted on 27 Jan 2013, 19:29 1 1
Probably yes after sammy does it. Oh and what would one do with that 128?
25. BattleBrat posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:45 0 0
Music and movies for me, it is more important on a WIFI only device
4. wendygarett (limited) 3 days ago posted on 27 Jan 2013, 19:31 4 3
Feel free to take any of my organs Apple :)
5. maxis3G (unregistered) posted on 27 Jan 2013, 19:34 0 2
I dont think so.....
8. someones4 posted on 27 Jan 2013, 19:42 2 3
And it'll cost $1000 since it's from Apple.
I wonder where is Samsung's 128GB phone they talked about last year
9. umadd (banned) posted on 27 Jan 2013, 19:44 6 1
The reason why Apple never utilizes micro sd slot on their phones: so they can price discriminate you even further.
13. networkdood posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:15 0 0
so 499.99 on 2 yr contract? Man, for the sake of those poor fools who buy the product, I hope APPLE just sells it at 399.99...
17. networkdood posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:18 0 0
I agree, so it would be 499.99....a major ripoff of consumers everywhere, but mostly in the U.S. of A.
20. PapaSmurf posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:25 0 0
OG iPhone and iPhone 5S or 6 will finally share the same price point even though very little has changed since then. :')
27. jroc74 posted on 27 Jan 2013, 20:52 2 0
a 4G/LTE iPad is $829?
If thats the case....the $900 Surface doesnt look too bad now....
29. joey18 posted on 27 Jan 2013, 21:29 0 0
why 128 when they make cheap phone and let people use sdcard whaterever they wan 32g memery from amazon for 19 dollars good deal
30. rusticguy posted on 27 Jan 2013, 21:32 0 0
Old habits of charging criminally high profits die hard ... :)
36. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 28 Jan 2013, 07:13 0 0
If tablets are to replace laptops, this is the right direction to go. Unfortunately it's an Apple product so only about 2% of the earth's population will be able to afford it.
37. InspectorGadget80 posted on 28 Jan 2013, 07:54 0 0
It will be the most expensive ipad ever