Corning explains why glass breaks and why Gorilla Glass 3 is not like most other glass
0. phoneArena 09 Jan 2013, 02:56 posted on
Corning has recently unveiled its brand new Gorilla Glass 3 toughened glass technology and while the second generation made the original thinner…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1488; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
yea right ...my Xperia fell face down onto asphalt and all it had were some scratches......my s2 wasn't so lucky ..therefore other glasses are somewhat better
11. troutsy (Posts: 309; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
One time I walked outside at night and didn't see the moon, therefore the moon must not exist...
19. bparkerson (unregistered)
Come on RaKith!....Really?
25. zazori08 (Posts: 113; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
my nokia 3310 fell into the asphalt and the asphalt broke.
28. mastoi (Posts: 1; Member since: 17 Mar 2014)
yeah right mate, pull the other one. I have seen a Nokia 3310 dropping on asphalt, it doesn't break the asphalt, it implodes it. They still use it instead of sledgehammers in Melbourne during roadworks. Vicroads can confirm this data.
26. jsdechavez (Posts: 713; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Same here. I was at the warehouse, my Xperia play (heavy!) jumped from my breast pocket to the concrete facedown, even slid for a couple meters. No cracks! Merely scratched on the plastic but screen protector took most of the damage, none to the LCD.
2. Adithya7184 (Posts: 317; Member since: 05 Mar 2011)
Last year when Gorilla Glass 2 announced, corning claimed that, it is the most toughest glass ever made...then everyone knows what happened...
and now again its repeating...we have to just wait and see what happens to this Gorilla glass 3...
5. Retro-touch (Posts: 272; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I know what you mean. Reminds me of how people were raving of how amazing the S2 screen was at 480x800 and how you can't see the pixels no matter how hard you look, 720p screens came through and people were claiming the S2 screen is pixelated and on and on.....
23. ZeroCide (Posts: 758; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
like iphone announcements. "Greatest phone ever period. insert other colorful adjectives. Again greatest phone ever. Go get one."
3. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 328; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
I hope sgs4 comes with cg3 but it's highly unlikely to happen. Hope for the best.
4. spiderpig2894 (Posts: 568; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
I have seen GG and GG2 glasses on SSGs of my friends with cracked screens during accidents like falling.
14. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
sure.. it still breaks.. the point is that its harder to break. Ive bumped my SGS1 in to corners countless times, thrown it across the room to demo its build quality, and a dozen other things that should kill the phone, yet after 2 years it remained scratch free. I've seen others that dropped at the perfect corner angle just once on cement and the whole thing was smashed. Vibration damage is a real killer. Get a case, it helps reduce vibration on impact.
7. kobainez (Posts: 413; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
The most hardest glass ever made is Asashi Dragontrail glass. Corning gorilla is just a marketing gimmick
8. maverick786us (Posts: 146; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
I have seen numerous posts in which Lumia 920 easily gets scratches
22. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Mine has yet to get scratched, and I use my keys to show off the gorrilla glass all the time.
27. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Just read my own post. Not sure where the extra "r" came from. *gorilla
10. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Still have my sgs1 phone with Gorilla Glass I and not a scratch on it.
12. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
mine as well. sittin in my drawer scratch free.
20. bparkerson (unregistered)
Me too...I passed my Samsung Fascinate (SSGS1) down to my 12 year old son in "like new" condition, no scratches. The phone is now 3 yrs old, still no scratches, working flawlessly! This is with a Body Glove case and NO SCREEN PROTECTOR! BTW, to give credit where it's due,I have a total of 4 devices, all Samsung. I have not had a single issue with these devices (hardware or software)!....EVER! IMO build quality doesn't get any better. I have an available upgrade, needless to say SSGS4 most likely will be the 5th!
13. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
In my experience, GG1 is more resistant than GG2 in real world applications. The SGS1/2 vs SGS3. Most GG2 products seem to like to scratch easier... including my Nexus4. Thinner and lighter for sure.. but not more resistant.
Hopefully GG3 actually makes it more resistant.
15. cdgoin (Posts: 478; Member since: 28 Jul 2010)
MY rougher son has a 8x and its fine.. my careful son has already broken his 810 screen.
Guess which one has Gorilla glass?
17. naptown2 (Posts: 70; Member since: 29 Dec 2012)
my kids got a hold of my lg optimus G and were fighting over who would bring it to me and droped it on a wook floor and cracked the bottom of the screen .. it was a sad night :(
21. Robert235 (Posts: 56; Member since: 30 May 2010)
Im not doubting corning,with my droid x2 it easily got scratched.