Concept gives iOS icons the Live Tile treatment
0. phoneArena posted on 02 Nov 2012, 01:37
It is no secret that the user experience and design of iOS on the iPhone and other “i-devices” is dated...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Lift_Off posted on 02 Nov 2012, 01:42 5 7
This would be awesome! Very clean looking too. Looks alot like WP8 though but I guess its supposed to
9. anywherehome posted on 02 Nov 2012, 02:22 5 15
no! never! Google has to sue Apple if IT uses widgets!!!
no way iOS will become a real smartphone not just with icons!
iOS will become exact copy of Android soon like he has already been stealing all the time, see the facts: goo.gl/0rnAF
40. nwright94 (unregistered) posted on 02 Nov 2012, 09:01 2 1
I'm pretty sure androids open sourced nature prevents them from suing people over widgets. Windows 7 had widgets and technically iOS has "widgets" in the notification screen. If google could sue apple over UI design features, they would've been sued awhile ago for the notifications.
46. anywherehome posted on 02 Nov 2012, 14:03 1 1
Im joking....I know the "widgets" from Vista :)
But open source doesnt mean it can not be patented ;)
50. rudlie posted on 02 Nov 2012, 20:51 1 2
Widget already exists for along time, even windows vista has the desktop widgets. Mac os x has desktop widgets. Stop claim the widget display is android's. You are morrons, hahahaha
51. anywherehome posted on 03 Nov 2012, 03:45 0 2
Can you read? Read previous comment ;)
21. darac posted on 02 Nov 2012, 03:25 16 2
It doesn't look anything like WP and entirely like widgets on android
55. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 03 Nov 2012, 15:24 0 0
yep thats about right...........you would have to, once again, be a blind fool to believe this looks like wp tiles and even if it did.......wouldnt that give microsoft the right to .....what is that word im looking for? ........Sue?
29. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 02 Nov 2012, 05:17 1 7
Live tile is just a gimmick:
1. You have to look at the screen all the time to get the information b-c the information appears on the screen only briefly.
2. You have constantly jumping from page to page to check with live tiles' updates and hope you don't miss anything in between.
3. You need a great memory to remember all the bits of information.
4. You can't act on the information from live tiles.
So you can see that live tiles are virtually useless and what is the point to use the system anywhere?
34. JamesHunt posted on 02 Nov 2012, 06:40 3 0
For you everything about WP is a gimmick.. atleast your recent comments suggests that.. i have never owned an android device before , so i cannot comment on those widgets. but yeah i own lumia 800 , so yeah live tiles are useful for me. I do believe that microsoft should give us a bit more control over the content shown.
39. lubba posted on 02 Nov 2012, 08:52 2 0
I'd say it's not a gimmick. Live tile is only in its infancy. There's alot of potential. You just have to imagine the possibilities. Two things I look forward too are in video tiles and 3D.
2. Savage posted on 02 Nov 2012, 01:46 5 26
This would absolutely kill Android.
Oh, and bring customization too. Apple should hire him.
3. dickwyn posted on 02 Nov 2012, 01:49 17 1
yeah this is just some simple customization. android phones can do more diverse things
4. Savage posted on 02 Nov 2012, 01:54 7 7
Haha, they should make iOS more and more similar to what Androids offer. That will probably save iOS.
13. abdane posted on 02 Nov 2012, 02:47 7 0
they should, but they won't... because if they do, say " Hi " to lag everywhere in iOS !
31. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 02 Nov 2012, 05:55 2 0
You just nailed Apple's greatest hurdle, it's easy to make an OS fast and smooth with it's limited, but when you start to really open it up, speed issues become a problem. Up until now, Apple has never had to deal with that, let's see how a hardware designer figures that out.
37. Kronic (banned) posted on 02 Nov 2012, 07:40 1 1
Save ios? They are already doing great! There are only two good OSs ios and android
47. anywherehome posted on 02 Nov 2012, 14:07 0 0
If Apple wipe 5 year gap in innovation.....maybe but improbable .... :)
53. aahmed215 posted on 03 Nov 2012, 05:22 0 0
So if Apple makes iOS more like Android, it will kill Android? Do you understand what tradeoffs are? The closer iOS gets to Android, the more it loses its special advantages. And to be able to compete with Android, it will need a boost in hardware, which will drive the price of the phone even further up (or lose the very high margins).
6. Goldeneye posted on 02 Nov 2012, 02:04 4 9
Pure innovation, so impressed! how nobody thought about this before???
Microsoft and Google, don't even think about it, your asses will get sued!
11. ZeusOne posted on 02 Nov 2012, 02:27 12 1
Microsoft did LIVE TILES first and Google did Widgets first...and when some company combines both and uses it...it's called INNOVATION!
48. Goldeneye posted on 02 Nov 2012, 16:22 0 0
Yeap and aperently a bunch thought I was serious lol.
27. nobelset posted on 02 Nov 2012, 04:46 3 0
You sound like those brain washed people in the movies. I like that, keeps me laughing my ass off.
8. wendygarett (limited) 2 days ago posted on 02 Nov 2012, 02:21 11 2
Isn't this called 'steal'??
I think apple can do better than that lol
33. someones4 posted on 02 Nov 2012, 06:01 2 1
Poor wendy...so naive.
This IS the best Apple can do....The worse they can do is to sue everyone including irrelevant companies... Oh..Too late
10. someones4 posted on 02 Nov 2012, 02:23 4 2
THIEVES!!! BANDITS!!! THIS IS ROBBERY. Apple is just asking for it now.
and aren't those live tiles basically larger widgets? albeit more functional and customizable
14. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 02 Nov 2012, 03:10 1 2
if this will happen... i think buying the next iPhone (iPhone 6? 5S?) with iOS 7.... apple might not be called stagnant and redundant... coz all the iOS version -- all the same!! nothing's new with its looks!
but if this will happen.. it will make the next iPhone/iPad/iPad mini worth to buy!
15. JamesHunt posted on 02 Nov 2012, 03:16 2 0
No offence to anyone, but after watching WP8 in action ,everything else looks outdated. It may not be the best, but yeah its great..!
16. xfire99 posted on 02 Nov 2012, 03:20 2 0
Only missing S-Pen and the name iCopy and iSteal.
Pure innovation by Google, erhmm...Samsung...errrrr Apple it's. The only company that can make revolutionary devices with pure retina display experience. *cough* *cough*
30. someones4 posted on 02 Nov 2012, 05:50 0 0
you forgot the large iSh**p attached to the phone.
18. Meeii posted on 02 Nov 2012, 03:20 5 2
Microsoft do it - Ugly! Just plain bad! Can't stand tiles!
Apple do it - innovation, so impressed! Best thing ever done!
20. darac posted on 02 Nov 2012, 03:22 0 1
Man, android already has exactly this.
Also, live tiles are completely generic looking
19. darac posted on 02 Nov 2012, 03:21 2 0
How is this in any way different than automatically resizeable Widgets on android??!?
23. JamesHunt posted on 02 Nov 2012, 03:36 0 0
Ya we have to see it as an inspiration from Android. But apple does not believe in showing itself "inspired" by others.
22. JamesHunt posted on 02 Nov 2012, 03:35 1 0
Evolution is great ! but bragging about your evolution and terming it as revolution is not the right way. If apple does take ideas from other places ,its good for overall competition,but as we know apple will brag about its self proclaimed innovation.
24. spiderpig2894 posted on 02 Nov 2012, 04:25 1 0
tsk. Look at Apple fans, they say widgets are not so important in Android now they say THIS IS INNOVATION! whatever! It is like we don't need big screens like Android now they are saying WOW! 4 INCH SCREEN IN IPHONE IS INNOVATIVE! -______-
25. amozhi posted on 02 Nov 2012, 04:36 0 2
Revolutionary concept...Apple please patent it and then sue google and samsung for copying it.
35. someones4 posted on 02 Nov 2012, 07:13 0 0
Is it sarcasm? You people should really start marking sarcasm posts. Really hard to tell.
26. angelesmec posted on 02 Nov 2012, 04:42 2 0
It would be better if Apple will just stick with the current iOS design as of the moment just add a few improvements but not live tiles or widgets alike.
45. GeekMovement posted on 02 Nov 2012, 13:21 0 0
More like it would be better if Apple just sticks with their "famous rows of icons." They gotta be too proud of their invention to ditch it and start thinking about copying other platforms.
32. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 02 Nov 2012, 05:58 1 0
Lol, it's just an artist's concept. This doesn't mean Apple is going to do this.
36. darkkjedii posted on 02 Nov 2012, 07:24 0 0
This is a concept, it has nothing to do with apple.
38. Captain_Doug posted on 02 Nov 2012, 08:33 2 0
These are more like widgets. You can't interact with live tiles.
42. nghtwng68 posted on 02 Nov 2012, 10:04 0 0
Would definitely update iOS into the present in mobile OS platforms.
The static grid of icons on multiple pages is old. Even Nokia Belle is more interesting than iOS right now, but a merger of widgets and live tiles would be great for multi-tasking on iOS.
44. GeekMovement posted on 02 Nov 2012, 13:19 0 1
Where's gallito and myx? Mark my words:
APPLE IS SECRETLY ENVYING ANDROID and they're going to take any measures to get closer.
49. santijosanchez posted on 02 Nov 2012, 16:32 1 0
to whoever wrote this, those aren't live tiles, those are WIDGETS
52. napsterO6 posted on 03 Nov 2012, 03:53 0 1
if it happens..... then iphone can make it upto the top !!