Concept gives iOS icons the Live Tile treatment
0. phoneArena 02 Nov 2012, 01:37 posted on
It is no secret that the user experience and design of iOS on the iPhone and other “i-devices” is dated...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Lift_Off (Posts: 152; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
This would be awesome! Very clean looking too. Looks alot like WP8 though but I guess its supposed to
9. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
no! never! Google has to sue Apple if IT uses widgets!!!
no way iOS will become a real smartphone not just with icons!
iOS will become exact copy of Android soon like he has already been stealing all the time, see the facts: goo.gl/0rnAF
40. nwright94 (unregistered)
I'm pretty sure androids open sourced nature prevents them from suing people over widgets. Windows 7 had widgets and technically iOS has "widgets" in the notification screen. If google could sue apple over UI design features, they would've been sued awhile ago for the notifications.
46. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Im joking....I know the "widgets" from Vista :)
But open source doesnt mean it can not be patented ;)
50. rudlie (Posts: 205; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
Widget already exists for along time, even windows vista has the desktop widgets. Mac os x has desktop widgets. Stop claim the widget display is android's. You are morrons, hahahaha
51. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Can you read? Read previous comment ;)
21. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
It doesn't look anything like WP and entirely like widgets on android
55. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
yep thats about right...........you would have to, once again, be a blind fool to believe this looks like wp tiles and even if it did.......wouldnt that give microsoft the right to .....what is that word im looking for? ........Sue?
29. MeoCao (unregistered)
Live tile is just a gimmick:
1. You have to look at the screen all the time to get the information b-c the information appears on the screen only briefly.
2. You have constantly jumping from page to page to check with live tiles' updates and hope you don't miss anything in between.
3. You need a great memory to remember all the bits of information.
4. You can't act on the information from live tiles.
So you can see that live tiles are virtually useless and what is the point to use the system anywhere?
34. JamesHunt (Posts: 37; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
For you everything about WP is a gimmick.. atleast your recent comments suggests that.. i have never owned an android device before , so i cannot comment on those widgets. but yeah i own lumia 800 , so yeah live tiles are useful for me. I do believe that microsoft should give us a bit more control over the content shown.
39. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
I'd say it's not a gimmick. Live tile is only in its infancy. There's alot of potential. You just have to imagine the possibilities. Two things I look forward too are in video tiles and 3D.
2. Savage (unregistered)
This would absolutely kill Android.
Oh, and bring customization too. Apple should hire him.
3. dickwyn (Posts: 621; Member since: 07 May 2012)
yeah this is just some simple customization. android phones can do more diverse things
4. Savage (unregistered)
Haha, they should make iOS more and more similar to what Androids offer. That will probably save iOS.
13. abdane (Posts: 494; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
they should, but they won't... because if they do, say " Hi " to lag everywhere in iOS !
31. Aeires (unregistered)
You just nailed Apple's greatest hurdle, it's easy to make an OS fast and smooth with it's limited, but when you start to really open it up, speed issues become a problem. Up until now, Apple has never had to deal with that, let's see how a hardware designer figures that out.
37. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Save ios? They are already doing great! There are only two good OSs ios and android
47. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
If Apple wipe 5 year gap in innovation.....maybe but improbable .... :)
53. aahmed215 (Posts: 165; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
So if Apple makes iOS more like Android, it will kill Android? Do you understand what tradeoffs are? The closer iOS gets to Android, the more it loses its special advantages. And to be able to compete with Android, it will need a boost in hardware, which will drive the price of the phone even further up (or lose the very high margins).
6. Goldeneye (Posts: 419; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
Pure innovation, so impressed! how nobody thought about this before???
Microsoft and Google, don't even think about it, your asses will get sued!
7. Savage (unregistered)
Too bad, they already have it.
11. ZeusOne (Posts: 3; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Microsoft did LIVE TILES first and Google did Widgets first...and when some company combines both and uses it...it's called INNOVATION!
48. Goldeneye (Posts: 419; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
Yeap and aperently a bunch thought I was serious lol.
27. nobelset (Posts: 270; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
You sound like those brain washed people in the movies. I like that, keeps me laughing my ass off.
8. wendygarett (unregistered)
Isn't this called 'steal'??
I think apple can do better than that lol
33. someones4 (Posts: 625; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Poor wendy...so naive.
This IS the best Apple can do....The worse they can do is to sue everyone including irrelevant companies... Oh..Too late
41. someones4 (Posts: 625; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Sorry if i hurt your feelings, Wendy :) Peace.
10. someones4 (Posts: 625; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
THIEVES!!! BANDITS!!! THIS IS ROBBERY. Apple is just asking for it now.
and aren't those live tiles basically larger widgets? albeit more functional and customizable