Company with one patent to its name sues Apple over FaceTime and more
Speaking of the other firms, the list of defendants includes Apple, Broadsoft, Inerop Technologies, Iris Wireles, Mobiweb and others. The suit was filed in eastern Virginia district court and Judge John A. Gibney will be presiding. As one of the most valuable companies in the world, and with more money in the vault than Scrooge McDuck, Apple is a natural target for patent trolls like ICC. The latter claims that Apple's FaceTime infringes on its '748 patent.
Will Apple pay ICC to go away? Somehow, we doubt it. Paying off ICC would invite every patent troll in the world to line up for a big pay day. For the legally inclined, you can read the lawsuit below.
source: Scribd via electronista
Intercarrier Communications v. Apple
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
this is sad, more and more company is trying to attack Apple at all cost :(
7. zackh121556 (Posts: 98; Member since: 01 Feb 2012)
Dude really??? All Apple does is sue! Even more then we see making the news. If you slap the bull...you must fight the bull (World)...apple is getting what it deserves and its not even half of what they have done. I'm still waiting on Google to sue them over their notification trey
13. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Apple tots deserves this cuz they're the 1s suing other Companies
28. tuminatr (Posts: 679; Member since: 23 Feb 2009)
yes and no they do seem to be smarter than most companies on what they steal but they do copy
33. zhiae (Posts: 174; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
and even they didnt had time for making something interesting
38. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1064; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
well its high time Apple got a dose of its own medicine!
9. doejon (Posts: 323; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
if u hear the word sue
the most people will automatically connect it with apple
cuz apple sued everyone even non tech companies..
21. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5615; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
If Apple is found to have infringed, it should share. If the roles were reversed, it is certain that Apple would be suing other infringers.
Sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
60. Doakie (Posts: 1189; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Yeah... So many people fall all over themselves because this dudes screen name is Wendy. Even when "she" makes stupid statements people clamor to give "her" negative comments in such a sweet tone. I've seen the avatar "she" used when it looked like a girl. I don't buy it. Einhorns a man and an iFanboy.
42. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
This is really great good news, the world should boycot them, they deserve it. Patent which does not belong to them, and the design. Rotten Apple, what a bad name for the good fruit.
54. corporateJP (Posts: 1548; Member since: 28 Nov 2009)
Nice rose-colored glasses, there, "Wendy"...
2. Avinash.Meeniga (Posts: 12; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
After all it's Apple who started this new trend of suing over stupid patents
22. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3329; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Apple only sued to protect its business from unoriginal competitors. This is just patent abuse by this unknown company. Why not sue Skype and other video chat services?
26. Avinash.Meeniga (Posts: 12; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
You are always biased towards Apple and a hypocrite and arguing or even a discussion would just be meaningless and am no fanboy like you so don't bring up/take shot at some other OS and no Apple didn't sue to protect it's business cause the patents itself were stupid and the reason the unknown company going after Apple is to get into limelight and who knows may be they were just being supported by the companies Apple has been suing so for with their stupid patents
41. wassup (Posts: 565; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
why didn't apple sue the chinese firms as well?
why only motorola and samsung.
53. downphoenix (Posts: 2295; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
because that wouldnt have went anywhere due to how China handles lawsuits.
43. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
We all feel really sorry for you. Wize up.
3. Godfather (Posts: 2; Member since: 31 Oct 2012)
Taste of their own medicine. Apple was the 1 company who started this Suing BS. Be sure there isn't a whole lot of people who would care less about Apple taking a hit or two from these so called Troll companies!
14. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
They didn't just Sue BS, they sued all companies!!!!
4. lyndon420 (Posts: 1715; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
I love it. When ever someone tries to sue apple (or ms), my day is complete. I want every day to be happy day.
15. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
That would just ruin all companies, Which means no more devices for any of us, or U!!!
6. Borrie69 (Posts: 22; Member since: 14 Jan 2012)
Yes, David vs Golith. Go Texas based company, it must have some big cahunas to go after apple like that. Power to them. Hopefully this causes all other companies that own patents which Apple infringes on to step up and follow suite. Death to IOS and all the copyments that they do.
8. AstronautJones (Posts: 252; Member since: 01 Aug 2012)
Just another example of the broken patent system. So many patents granted for things that already exist.
Yes, Apple has used the same tactics. Reap what you sow?
Two wrongs make a right? As much as I detest Apple, I would rather just see this whole thing STOP!
10. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
This I agree with 100%. I dont really like Apple as a company, dont really want their products anymore....but this needs to stop.
18. someones4 (Posts: 618; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
None of this will stop unless Apple and other companies vow to help fix the patent system.
11. Savage (unregistered)
Thank you Apple. For your contribution to the tech world. Now we'll see more of this in the future.
31. someones4 (Posts: 618; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Apple introduced a new hobby and a new method for generating news coverage and profit. revolutionary indeed.
50. willard12 (Posts: 737; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Sadly, it's the only thing they've actually invented.
12. webOSlove (unregistered)
So Apple is getting sued, now phonearena wants to call this company a "patent troll" and get all defensive. Extremely bias.
"Apple is a natural target for patent trolls"
Where the hell were you for the past year?!!
16. plgladio (Posts: 311; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Hmm so this is how their vault is heavy? Come-on Apple pay everyone and show investors about your vault.
17. someones4 (Posts: 618; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Everyone is looking to kick down Apple's door.
24. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Apple brought this on themselves. Ever since the Galaxy tab 10.1. Now it shall pay for its crimes.
45. -box- (Posts: 3749; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Even before the Tab; don't forget the Nokia lawsuit which they lost quite spectacularly. If only Nokia had gone for royalties AND a permanent production injunction, apple would just be a music and content store for the devices it was able to sell before the injunction kicked in.
25. Bernoulli (Posts: 1437; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Can you patent the sun? Was the response of Jonas Salk after someone asked him why didn't he patent the vaccine against polio, just imagine if we could simply pay each othersomething cheap, like what Apple llawyers suggested, to use such patents and push innovation, well not too cheap like apple lawyers intended up you get my drift, and hehe nokia better patent their nokia city lens software! :)
27. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 618; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Wow, what an article, Apple fanatic calling a company suing Apple a patent troll, didn't Apple create loan patents to dummy corps to do that very same thing a couple of years back? How short term is our memory, you know when karma comes back she usually is bringing a whole lot of momentum by the time she returns to you what you dished out.
Some serious bias crap coming out of the minds of some of these articles, like where in the hell is your journalistic pride, to be neutral and call it like it is. This is why I tend to dislike blind devotion to any particular company, when I watch a company repeatedly pretend to be the greatest gift to us all, but always attempting to stifle competition what do you expect? As a human you like to cheer for the guy being subjugated by the bully who for all intentions doesn't have to be such an ass.
34. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Apple is in nexus with patent trolls
Article speaks for itself more than anything else ...
29. ElektronicGeek91 (Posts: 105; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
When Apple sued Samsung they just basically dug their own grave. Lol
30. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
this only shows that to the rest of the world Google and their OS is popular but not valuable so not worh even getting them to court, go after the top dog.. Good luck little company that could the train is coming... off the tracks
32. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
That's because Google is not into business of Extortion based on their OS ... got the point?
47. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Gogle has been sued y many companies.. they steal more than any other OS ut in this case is not worth it
49. rusticguy (Posts: 2826; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Nope. Do the COUNT of things stolen and Apple will top the list. Every company steals in the sense that Lean Manufacturing revolves around Steealing and then improving upon that but Apple shouts the most about being robbed when Apple robs trhe most :)
58. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I take it you have the actual evidence about which OS steals the most. How do you know its Google? Didnt Oracle just lose a major case against Google?
Your logic is illogical.
44. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
You seem to forget that lil company called Orcale that tried to sue Google...
48. gallitoking (Posts: 4684; Member since: 17 May 2011)
and lost and so will this little company...
59. jroc74 (Posts: 4720; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I was being sarcastic calling Oracle a lil company, since you claim its not worth it to sue Google. Oracle seemed to think so, tried to for billions too. Thats billions with an s...
Seems like the fanboyism is causing you to lose brain cells....I know good n well you remember that case. Many predicted the down fall of Android, Google with that case...
36. putes (Posts: 38; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
Apple opened a Pandora's box of legal nightmare with silly lawsuits to slow competition. Apple is now getting the blowback they deserve. The reality is that Apple didn't really invent much of what they claim they did.
39. PhoneCritic (Posts: 355; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Thoswho live by suing die by suing. How Ironic is it that When apple started this whole business the just open the doors for this to directly affect them as well.
52. networkdood (Posts: 6263; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Patent troll being sued by another...get out some popcorn and enjoy the show....of course Mxy and G-King are going to tell us "OH POOR APPLE, they are only trying to defend their IP!" ....Yeah, an IP!! that APPLE has stolen over the years and lets other patent troll companies sue for them, such as DIGITUDE. See article in #34.
55. Stuntman (Posts: 711; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
I'm going to side with Apple in this particular dispute. I think it is wrong for Intercarrier to file this law suit. Now the problem, this problem and all of these patent law suits is an issue with the patent system. Many people do not feel that many of these patents that were granted to Apple or anyone else should not have been granted in the first place. Something has to be done about this.
56. networkdood (Posts: 6263; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Hypocrisy at its finest from an iFAN:
"Apple only sued to protect its business from unoriginal competitors. This is just patent abuse by this unknown company. Why not sue Skype and other video chat services?"
57. samystic (Posts: 189; Member since: 25 Mar 2012)
@ Alan F.
really? patent troll? lottery ticket? may i ask you who 'invented' this trolling? it was Apple with a dirt patent war on Samsung (on it's icons)! so what if this is an 'unknown' company in USA?
biased opinions smell like fanboism