China too reliant on Android says report; solution is to switch to another platform
0. phoneArena 08 Mar 2013, 19:58 posted on
With a market share above 80% in China, Android is by far the dominant operating system in the country and a white paper published by the China Academy of Telecommunication Research for the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology says that the country needs to lessen its reliance on Android and switch to Windows Phone, Tizen or Firefox OS...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. darkskoliro (Posts: 1061; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Don't get it...how is this a bad thing...
5. Dunknown (Posts: 84; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
Once Android become a monopoly platform, they can control the price whatever they want without control this lead to overprized in other words they earn few times greater than before. Monopoly company has the right to sue you if you make a tiny mistake on your phone or maybe they can even control the world with their own platform. With android monopolized, it lead to unemployment. Company like Ubuntu Linux who only specialised in phone OS will surely shut down. To prevent this to happen it best not letting android become a Monopoly company. You may read the case about The Microsoft when they have about 98% share of their computer os, Windows
7. Corpsemaker (Posts: 63; Member since: 10 Jul 2010)
No company or operating system can become a true monopoly without the public's consent or government force/approval.
10. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Sadly but in some contries can using various corruption ways.
22. darkkjedii (Posts: 15646; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
"Sadly but in some contries can using various corruption ways" Re type this mess...now!!!
11. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Company like Ubuntu Linux who only specialised in phone OS will surely shut down."
Ubuntu and Linux are related not only with phone operating systems. ;)
And yes, I agree with you, monopoly is evil thing!
30. 8logic (Posts: 132; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
that made no sense.....
1) google don't charge anything for company to use it
2) they don't make their own phone (not including motorola), they simply provides the os to the OEMs.
3)ubuntu linux also have a pc os and its more like a grass root kind of os, much like firefox
the only china has a problem with android is that they don't control it.
35. jcarrigan (unregistered)
typical china, if they control it, they will whine until they can!
21. rsxl5 (Posts: 65; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Well, lack of control over the OS means lack of control over data sent.
Google has a history of not following Chinese Gov. orders.
Android phone I bought in China (SE Arc) had OS with removed Google Play and with option 'Allow 3rd party software install' turned on.
On Android bought outside of China (or flashed with western ROM if possible) you can use VPN to bypass China Great Wall ; on Windows Mobile you can't.
M$ and Apple has much more at stake if banned from China than Google ; so, they are much more prone for Chinese government pressures (same with other manufacturers that do sell hardware in China).
31. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 433; Member since: 07 May 2012)
now why would android want china to have access to the main resources of its os to tweak it they way they want and hide the true nature of android. hhhmmm i wonder??? they must take google for fools
2. lyndon420 (Posts: 2975; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
The problem is obvious...people in China are smarter when it comes to their mobiles.
13. tusshharish (Posts: 342; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
then switch to windows.........................
36. Veritas_Aurora (Posts: 19; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
iOS, i think, I came from china, and I experienced the popularity of iPhone and other iDevices among the whole country especially in some "richest" cities, like Beijing, Shanghai, and my home city: Nanjing
3. lyndon420 (Posts: 2975; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Another solution would be to offer something better. (sarcasm)
12. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
So by your logic, anyone not using android is dumb and nothing is/will be better than android? Get real.
4. kushki (Posts: 49; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
The only way they can move to another platform is to stop manufacturing/sales of cheap android phones made by thousands of small companies in China. Doing that would also put them out of business as licensing for other platforms would not be cheaper. Rightnow, those phones are cheap because they do not pay several dollars per unit sold to companies like qualcom, MS, Nokia. in short, this is never going to happen, android will always dominate in China.
6. nikenturd (unregistered)
Well, uhm....only IF other platforms offer something truly better i suppose....why the heck would they switch to an OS that require licensing fees and such? The Android juggernaut cannot be stopped and this article is reeking jealousy from whomever made it.
8. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Time for Tizen/Ubuntu/Jola/Firefox to enter china. Too much reliance on Windows isn't a good idea unless M$ has bribed the Chinese Govt too :)
9. SuperNexus (Posts: 126; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
hahaha, performing too good is also a problem
14. pwnarena (Posts: 1046; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
china is just afraid google might use tricks to push content to android devices that china disapproves. android may employ means to access the web to bypass the communist government's filters. we know how google is pushing for a freer internet in china. the government is afraid google will use android to let more chinese know about the freer, democratic, and less immoral world.
15. jroc74 (Posts: 5537; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I am curious...what is MS's desktop market share in China? If its anywhere near Android's......China is just mad Google wont bow down to them:
What about before Android came out? Did they have a problem with the market leader then? If not...
23. darkkjedii (Posts: 15646; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
China's that one country you don't wanna mess with though. They could make it tough for google, if they really got pissed at em.
25. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Yes you are right. Didn't they create a situation where goog had to pack it's bag doing a hop at hongkong enroute back to USA ... china will not llike anything US in long run some say they may fork android like amazon did .... care a s**t about outside china and make it a China only OS ... shift is already there i think
33. darkkjedii (Posts: 15646; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I hope not, cause the competition is a good thing and google is driving it.
37. Veritas_Aurora (Posts: 19; Member since: 27 Jan 2013)
I don't know how the Microsoft Office can make profit from China, since even in the public and local government, they never use legal Microsoft's softwares, all of them used the cracked version, although from the Windows OS has a seemed-to-be-perfect anti-privacy serial number activation. Mac is better, since only a tiny amount of Chinese guys use it, and they don't willing to hack or crack the apps for Mac OS platform
16. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Why they didn't even think about Symbian?
17. SuperNexus (Posts: 126; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
because Symbian is dead and Resting in Peace.
27. SuperNexus (Posts: 126; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
Tell this to Nokia CEO,Elop.......
The only OS he know is Window phone...
28. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Elop? He doesn't listen to his fans.
18. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
totally agree with this... if android will play monopoly, this is a bad thing!
so firefox (well im not really counting on this one though, sailfish (this one is a sure winner) and ubuntu! please arrive now!!
19. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
well either makes sense but people will go where the money is. cant regulate that.
24. pongkie (Posts: 513; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
ha.... Google beat the Chinese this time can't make something fake that you can get free!!!
26. Sniggly (Posts: 7290; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Okay, so this makes it look even more like the Chinese government is pissed because something they can't control is dominant in their mobile phone market.
At least they're being consistent by not naming iOS as an alternative.
However, the suggestion that Google allow China to make their own version of Android makes their government's motivation very transparent: they want something they can nationalize, control, use to spy on people and make sure they're being good little Communists.
29. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Yet, they aren't concerned about 90% of windows' pc market share monopoly
32. mafiaprinc3 (Posts: 433; Member since: 07 May 2012)
people have a choice,they can choose windows vs mac os, chromes os vs ubuntu etc, that's how it is with android,ios, wp8 and bb10.
the only thing is that android is more like windows where u can customize and do practically anything you want to do with it and it's has more compatiblity with other products etc