China approves Google's purchase of Motorola, as long as Android stays open and free
0. phoneArena 19 May 2012, 16:18 posted on
The whole ordeal is finally over everyone. Google is finally allowed to own Motorola. It's been a long time coming, both the EU and the US both approved the deal back on February 13th and the holdup has been with China...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"And, Google has been adamant about not using patents to attack..."
Unlike some other companies... ;)
3. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Also, let's hope that now Motorola will be more open and friendly for developers. :)
2. johamsandwich (Posts: 31; Member since: 18 Apr 2012)
Great news. Motorola Nexus Droid with a big battery PLS!
23. kanagadeepan (Posts: 737; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Ya... I am dreaming about Razr Nexus HD with 720p AMOLED screen + 12MPx camera + PURE GOOGLE (NO BLUR OR LOCKED/ENCRYPTED BOOTLOADER + 3300mAh battery)....
4. Carlitos (Posts: 360; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Finally, now android can be protected as a whole from Apple and Microsoft.
So far the only Oem's that has been able to repel most apple law suits is motorola.
This is good news for the entire android system.
5. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 862; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Excellent news :)
Oh, and down go the Android haters stupidly thinking Android will be come closed.
6. Chasers (Posts: 21; Member since: 27 Nov 2011)
Does anyone else find it odd that China (a communist country) is fighting to keep android open source. They wont even let their citizens use facebook but they are worried about their cell phone manufacturers having an OS to base all of their phones on.
8. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
There is nothing strange in it, Facebook doesn't bring money for China, while manufacturers does.
16. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
true, but think about it....
Whens the last time you heard open free and china in the same sentence?
29. speckledapple (Posts: 879; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
got a point there but what I found odd was the length of time they took to approve it as though they were going to challenge the merger in some regard. Even its home country the US approved it faster than that.
9. imsickwithphone (banned) (Posts: 76; Member since: 17 May 2012)
And, Google has been adamant about not using patents to attack, only defend......
Defend for what??
Yeah......you guys guess it....
10. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
I think it'll work out kinda like this: andriod will stay open for any oem to use, but all nexus devises will be Motorola I'm not saying that this is a garentee but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised.
15. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Not a chance. Being a Nexus hardware partner is a big marketing boost. Favoring Motorola would piss off all the other manufacturers. That's probably why Google is going with the new multiple Nexus strategy. It can't be seen as favoring Motorola if Moto is just one of 5 Nexus phones.
11. tedkord (Posts: 5517; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Well, naturally. The Chinese government are big believers in openess and freedom.
22. eDiesel (Posts: 141; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
HAHAHAHAHAH. Am i the only one who caught on,,,,
13. sonisoe (Posts: 343; Member since: 06 May 2009)
anyone care to share why eu and china are involved in this, why are not a whole host of other countries in that matter ? are us/eu/china in some sort of international anti-monopoly/international fair-trade/whatever organization ?
14. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
It is all about Competition Law:
18. TROLL.ISAHA (banned) (Posts: 535; Member since: 28 Mar 2012)
Motorola the next Nexus? O no..... Crap hardware, with-along
Tiomap 4430 I bet they would still use that for the next Nexus.....
20. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
CHINA asking GOOGLE to have ANDROID remain OPEN and FREE.....
Also, has CHINA asked the same of APPLE?
24. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
This awesome i love motorola products actually i think they are better than samsungs phones(imo). Now that google has purchased it. It is more awesome cause i love google.
25. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Now it feels like this is going to e a big comeback of Motorola..
Well. it is always welcome!! :D
I loved the motorola products i still have the motorola flip razr phone and it was the best one in terms of looks as compared to the top smartphones of that time like the bulky Nokia N93 and other bulky phones and is still a joy to look at..!!
27. BattleBrat (Posts: 1197; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
*Sighs* Glad MOTO and Google are one now. I love Moto since my Dad got a Startac back in the day. I got a Droid 1 as my first smartphone (I wanted an iPhone) and fell in love with the hardware, that thing is a TANK!. (It is still working great, I use it as an alarm clock) The droid X was tough, but it would shut off on me while playing music at least once a day, then they updated it a week after I sold it when I got my RAZR. But the RAZR has been AWESOME. I cannot wait until the MOTO nexus arrives! Since Verizon has killed the option of subsidized upgrades (Unless I give up my unlimited data, and that is not an option!) I can upgrade whenever I want!
28. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
"China's anti-monopoly bureau"
BUAHAHA:D That's a fabulous joke.