Can't touch this (yet): Samsung's transparent, flexible screen envisioned on video
0. phoneArena 07 Nov 2012, 03:31 posted on
Wondering about possible use cases for futuristic tech like transparent and flexible screens? Samsung might have a few in mind, or at least, that is what we make of this new demo video, which features some completely ordinary people, using tech that obviously doesn't belong to their time...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. bayhuy (Posts: 320; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
Stupid...still I can't see useful implementation of this technology...
5. Daca01 (Posts: 10; Member since: 20 Apr 2012)
Agree ... no useful at all,cellphone should be personal thing no transparent.Imagne someone watching naced girls or porn.
17. groupsacc (Posts: 232; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
Lightbulbs, PCs, and microchips were all thought useless at the time of invention. There are always people with negativity and never develop.
18. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
tell me please, do you have an iPhone or iPad?
25. rembo65 (Posts: 58; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
How do you not see that pen, with pull-out screen, being freaking awesome??
31. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 221; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Lol at 0:57 he's using his pen screen thing to look at an iPad :p
16. shy2papa (Posts: 309; Member since: 23 Jan 2010)
The Future looks bright indeed, Tony stark aka "iron man" would really like that.
20. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1236; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
yeah but it would be really cool if sammy came up with the display tech portrayed in iron man...c'mon sammy Godspeed!
7. mydi.maus (unregistered)
weve seen this kind of ad way before,so when is samsung releasing flexi thing 2016?samsung makes the ad,apple will design it way better than this crap..
22. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Except Apple don't really innovate on anything and take ideas from others. Samsung will be the first and then Apple will patent it saying it was their invention so the tech dumb public and mainstream media outlets won't know a damn thing and assumed it was the brainchild of our time, Steve Jobs. Don't believe half the crap you are told by Apple, it is nothing but pure marketing BS and hype which sells itself to gullible people like you.
28. Jobes (Posts: 364; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Since when does Apple ever make their own screens?
29. mrllano (Posts: 91; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Yeah they take ideas from other and sue them
33. Googlethis (Posts: 179; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Its more of they see there compition making something inovative then they patent they use and wala the company cant use the technology they spent money and time on devoloping. Apple+patent system at its best .
10. byazatt (Posts: 269; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
mydi.maus is you thinking inverted or is it just me? sounds like the fruit should not even be mentioned in any news involving screen manufacturers. which screen type is produced by the fruit tree again?
12. eyup_aydin (unregistered)
Iron MAN :)
13. iameer (Posts: 6; Member since: 17 Apr 2012)
common...... can't be just swiping around with just a piece of display.... where are the chips, processors, batteries etc... for goodness sake..... don't tell me, even the battery and chips will be 'CLOUD" based in the future.... ROFL...
14. Mfa901 (Posts: 280; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
If my phone will become transparent than it will lost in on time
15. byazatt (Posts: 269; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
The year is 1990:
Geek : they have a prototype of a smartphone that whose ram is 4gb
Retro : anything bigger 4 kilo bytes is useless in computer ram.
19. XaErO (Posts: 319; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
I've seen some similar videos; and If I'm right those are from the "Corning Gorilla Glass".
Just check it out. Its just a thought (yet to be implemented for real life) .. But if it making to our real life, then it can simply be very useful and wonderful.
21. Aeires (unregistered)
Where's my flying car that was promised a good 3 or 4 decades ago?
23. atsamman (Posts: 74; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
I would wait for at least 5-10 years for something like that to become really practical
26. jdep1 (banned) (Posts: 26; Member since: 06 Nov 2012)
That technology has been on the works for over 5 years ago I believe LG started but I could be wrong. The problem is that there is no flexible batteries yet but maybe Samsung found a way. I personally like the idea of the flexibility.
34. Googlethis (Posts: 179; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Ever pull apart a droid razr the battery is pretty flexible for the most part.
32. JunkCreek (Posts: 407; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
must have ALL OVER WIRELESS CHARGER for flexible screen to use to act as a "paper". still A WAYS to go.
The power and the mainboard as transparent/flexible is A MUST for act like a paper.