Canada could ban Huawei products due to worries about security
not to do business with Huawei. The committee added that Huawei equipment in place currently could be used to spy on communications and threaten critical systems using computerized links.
Huawei does have a good history in Canada, having won contracts in 2008 to build networks for Canadian carriers Telus and Bell. The Canadian government was so impressed with Huawei that Ontario awarded the company a $6.6 billion USD grant toward a $67 billion R&D project. Despite this past history, the alleged connection between the Chinese government and Huawei just might be too much for Canada to overlook. And just as fear of the Chinese government's influence on Huawei started in the U.S., we could see other countries attempt to ban ZTE and Huawei equipment.
1. messiah (Posts: 433; Member since: 19 Feb 2010)
Canadian secure government network???? Way to go canada, for not supporting the home team .... RIM and blackberry.... you could have salvaged you own tech firm......
3. e.wvu (unregistered)
Some messiah you are, not knowing that the RIM and BB are the same.
10. darkkjedii (Posts: 8878; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
RIM is the company BB is the product. Not the same
5. Kan_wha (Posts: 86; Member since: 25 Jun 2012)
Whats the Chinese gonna do with Intel on the Canadians? Call in airstrike on the Igloos?
6. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
What will US and Canada do when China closes their gate on them? I think US and Canada are trying to let go of China since they are already stable on their own...clowns!!!
7. cncrim (Posts: 375; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Lol.... we are our way to do thing..... if it is threat out way of life then it got to go.
8. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
for security? BlackBerry!! and Canada is the home of that company!
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 8878; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
WTF is wrong with A-Rod? 300 million dollar bust, jeter shoulda got that money
14. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1207; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Lol ...Im very sure that the chinese may be listening to conversations of how to make maple syrup
16. DOGIEFRESH (Posts: 302; Member since: 15 Jul 2009)
I don't blame US and Canadian gov...most of cyber attacks to the US comes from China so is no brainer.... !!!!!!
21. JunkCreek (Posts: 379; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
For security reason? We are here in Indonesia, dominated by RIM BB, and used to calls, emails, sms for government purpose. And all datas saved directly to RIM's BB server. So Canada had Indonesian Government datas if someone in their server had manage to accessed the data storage. So, do you think it is better for Indonesia to ban RIM BB so there is no way for Canadian to spy on Indonesia's Government?
So biased intelligence... can we called them Dumbelligence?
24. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Exactly Asia should ban RIM. India already threatened them but seems they got away by paying some green money :)
23. rusticguy (Posts: 2810; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Hmmm countries which allow walmart, mosanto should also ban them going by the influence that politicians have on these companies. After all didn;t baxter release live virus just because some politician held shares of company that made tamiflu?
25. Stuntman (Posts: 643; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
The US doesn't want China spying on Canada. The US wants Canada to buy US company equipment so that the US can spy on Canada instead.