Can your tablet survive a whole night at -13° F?
0. phoneArena posted on 23 Jan 2013, 10:22
The listed operating and nonoperating temperatures for a device are important specs that we should all have in mind. Especially those of us who happen to live in areas where it tends to get extremely hot or extremely cold in certain periods of the year...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. ajac09 posted on 23 Jan 2013, 10:39 2 1
if you leave it on it should be able to survive.. turn it off and it may not turn on till its warmed up
18. torr310 posted on 23 Jan 2013, 12:56 0 0
Not really... My HTC Rezound seems to act funny/laggy when I was outside when the temp was 20F.
2. dan86 posted on 23 Jan 2013, 10:45 0 1
I need my tab to stay with me like a faithful friend I may never want to leave it in ice cold weather or scorching sun.
4. AfterShock posted on 23 Jan 2013, 10:51 0 0
Other then condensation, the glass temperature should be considered before putting device under load.
Cell phones go through this every day up here north of the 49th, worst is a broken/cracked display or extreme sluggishness.
5. skymitch89 posted on 23 Jan 2013, 11:00 0 0
I know that the Evo Shift had a limited range, found out first hand. A couple winters ago I was using the light on my phone as a flashlight when all of a sudden it turned off. I thought that the battery had died or something but it was still at like 30%. Went to turn the light on again and it said something like "Temp is too low to use flashlight" (I had the battery widget on my screen and it said the battery was at something like -3*C). Same thing happened during the following summer, but in reverse. The app said something like "Temp is too high to use flashlight" (again the battery widget on my screen and it said the battery was at something like 50*C).
6. InspectorGadget80 posted on 23 Jan 2013, 11:06 0 5
What kind of idiot would wast their money freezing their phone/tablet just too prove everyone which one is stronger. Just plain stupid.
7. asulect posted on 23 Jan 2013, 11:22 0 3
Ans: People who bought insurance for their phone/tablet. They are not stupid at all as posting such a video will net them some monetary gain.
11. mick25 (banned) posted on 23 Jan 2013, 12:16 0 1
Insurance for your phone/tablet? lol it's called warranty
13. NexusKoolaid posted on 23 Jan 2013, 12:38 5 0
No, warranties are for hardware and software defects. Insurance is for human defects.
15. PhoneArenaUser posted on 23 Jan 2013, 12:42 0 0
LOL! Totally right! +1 :D
14. PhoneArenaUser posted on 23 Jan 2013, 12:41 0 0
Warranty and insurance isn't the same thing, for example since when warranty can cover if your mobile phone or tablet is stolen? You can insure your property including your mobile phone or tablet, anyway I don't think that a lot of people Insure their mobile phones or tablets.
16. asulect posted on 23 Jan 2013, 12:46 0 1
Not a lot of people insurance their phone, but probably most of those who creates those drop test videos for a living do.
23. Larry_ThaGr81 posted on 23 Jan 2013, 15:42 0 0
This is true, that virtually all property can be insured by insurance companies.
21. InspectorGadget80 posted on 23 Jan 2013, 15:14 0 0
So u saying that u want to make a video like those people destroying their phones/tablets just too see whos stronger? Still a wast even if u have insurance. Just like the ones doing drop test. Thats wat im talking bout
22. asulect posted on 23 Jan 2013, 15:22 0 0
That's the cost of doing business. They'll make more money in return.
You see the movie industry destroy much more expensive stuffs like sport cars all the time. They are doing it because they'll make more money in return.
8. __Toprak__ posted on 23 Jan 2013, 11:30 0 0
Hmm should I consider to buy a PlayBook? :s :) seriously, it's cheap! and seems strong enough :)
10. marchels14 posted on 23 Jan 2013, 12:09 0 4
I have play book and it's biggest crap ever.It is a device that can't be personalised, battery is crap as well, atleast it has a flash player ,like all fruit devices don't have,ahd the screen resolution is poor ps my stupid mum bought it for me,I wish I could have chosen the devise my self I would have bought nexus 7.
12. metoyou posted on 23 Jan 2013, 12:17 5 0
I'm sure your Mum so proud of you calling her "stupid" that she went and bought you gift !!!
24. Johnnokia posted on 23 Jan 2013, 16:30 1 0
disgusting comment... Shame on you
You say ''stupid'' to your mum..
Shame on you ..
19. Whateverman posted on 23 Jan 2013, 13:27 0 0
Say what you will about the PlayBook... But that is impressive!
25. identity posted on 23 Jan 2013, 17:24 0 0
I have an iPhone 4s. In Wisconsin, it was -10 to -15 degrees, I had my 4s in my pockets and I was fixing my car for 1 hour. I came back in and found that it was turned off. I turned it back on and the damn power button is jammed and stuck. FML that I'm out of the 1 year warranty and I didn't get Apple Care. Oh well, I was going to get the Note 2 or GS4 anyways.