Can you really hold the iPad mini with one hand?
0. phoneArena 23 Oct 2012, 16:00 posted on
The new iPad mini comes with a 7.85-inch screen and very little bezel on the sides, and one of the reasons for the latter is easier one handed operation…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
While its price point and specs aren't of course going to match up correctly because its Apple after all. If you are in the market for something that does have a slightly larger and wider tablet for under 400 dollars, this is the device for you. I still would suggest anyone to pick up the Nexus 7 for 250 though.
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Can you really hold the iPad mini with one hand?"
I think it is wrong question because with one hand I can hold even pavement brick. The question should be: "Is it comfortable to hold iPad mini with one hand?"
My answer would be NO!
17. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Gotta give it to you there. Sure you can hold it with one hand, but that doesn't mean its going to be comfortable lol
24. gallitoking (Posts: 4720; Member since: 17 May 2011)
since you guys have already hold one in your hands I wil take your answer . don't think you 2 gentlemen would lie right?
27. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I don't need to hold it because:
1. I already know dimensions (200 x 134.7 x 7.2 mm) so I can draw the lines on the paper and see how much I will have to spread my fingers trying to hold it.
2. I already can see pictures in which people are holding it and it definitely doesn't looking very comfortable.
29. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Nice try bro, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out how uncomfortable it would be to hold with one hand for an average size person. Sure if you're Shaq or The Big Show, it'll be no problem. But they are marketing this device as a easy to hold with one hand tablet to compete with the 7 inch tablets like the Nexus 7. But in reality it is too wide to hold comfortably with one hand for most. I'm not saying don't buy this, if you want it, get it. Just don't be shocked when you can't hold it with just one hand so easily as they claim.
32. gallitoking (Posts: 4720; Member since: 17 May 2011)
dude it was a question. chill you know I don't have a beef with you..or with PAU but I think is too early to tell on how comfortable it would be without anyone holding yet
35. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
*plays chicken hunting on repeat while sharpening a hatchet*
38. parkwaydr (Posts: 572; Member since: 07 Sep 2011)
*gasps at the icp reference one phone arena*
Lol, never thought I'd see that one.
37. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Lol I'm perfectly calm, I am just letting you know. We aren't crapping out of our mouths in this one. It doesn't matter that its being made by Apple or anyone else. The big catch line, the big marketing magic they have is this is a mini I pad that you can easily hold one handed. People have issues with a 5.3 inch Galaxy Note because how wide it was, so how do you think this is going to work any better?
44. gallitoking (Posts: 4720; Member since: 17 May 2011)
because they guy on the picture is holding it in one hand and I believe he is not in pain..lol
53. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
He's holding it for what? A couple minutes tops? Try holding it for 30 minutes or an hour and you'll get my point.
54. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Hey man you can't win aganist these guys. They outnumber apple users 10 to 1 on this site.
I just sit back and read these guys bashing comments everyday and laugh
58. JC557 (Posts: 1540; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Just like phones with 4.5" + displays? I remember the Apple crowd poo pooing that as well without having held one or attempt to fit it into their hipster jeans.
47. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
this is a stupid question and theory. why would anyone want to hold a tablet with one hand
61. someones4 (Posts: 625; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Why can't they grip it at the sides like every other reasonable human being? why attempt to grip it from the back like a phone?
Can't anyone hold the normal ipad with one hand? they still need the other hand to operate it regardless.
I can hold an ultrabook with one hand and operate it just fine.
49. DaNTRoN (Posts: 135; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
I lol'ed at gentlemen part. Thumbs up for some high class humor.
50. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3867; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Article after a week the iPad mini launch reads, 'Wrap around palm suction pads for iPad mini for easy one hand handling.'
57. IKnowGreat (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Uhhh, comfortably holding it in one hand would make the screen to small. I might as well use my iPhone if I want "comfortable."
60. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3108; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
*face palm* you missed out the entire point of this device all together....Apple is targeting users who want a smaller, easier to hold tablet that they can use with one hand, such tablets like the Nexus 7.
So why even bother get this tablet if you don't care for comfort? Get the 9.7 inch Ipad then. Lol people these days...
21. nicholassss (Posts: 368; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Flies in the face of their "our iphone screen is tiny and awkwardly skinny so you can hold it with one hand" argument.
39. blingblingthing (Posts: 533; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
They knew it was bs, it is the uninformed users that believed such crap that were left in the dark.
Plus wait a minute, wasn't it apple who taught us that anything less than 9.7 inches, users would need to file down their fingers to use?
55. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Lol'd at those photos holding it with one hand. It looks so hard to handle! :))
But what the hell? They're too dumb to market it that it can be held with one hand.
20. jaoowolabi (Posts: 201; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
I like the device but seriously Apple? No retina display? And have you see the new Macs?! lol woah...
52. MeoCao (unregistered)
This device is nowhere as portable as Nexus 7.
Apple use the form factor simply for convenience: it's essentially a shrunken iPad 2 so they have almost everything ready and new design is minimal.
30. deuel_18 (Posts: 54; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
Or even Acer Iconia Tab A110 if you want to expand memory but dont like to invest much on screen resolution...
2. sithvenger (banned) (Posts: 371; Member since: 25 Aug 2012)
I can hold my iPad 3 with one hand, not that good though.
3. Captain_Doug (Posts: 997; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
It's slightly thinner than the xyboard 8.2 which i can hold with 1 hand. However I have above average hands and it's not super comfy to hold with 1 hand.