Can the Galaxy Note 4 be more important to Samsung than the Galaxy S5?
The announcement of the Note 4 comes at a crucial time for Samsung. The South Korean company’s smartphone sales are slipping, and so is its operating profit - despite the fact that its Galaxy S5 flagship is available all over the world since April. Following a strong start, Galaxy S5 sales slumped after only a few months. There’s no denying that the S5 is one of this year’s best smartphones (as our review of it concludes), but there are simply too many nice alternatives to it - not to mention all the affordable, yet powerful handsets from China.
While the S5 has many direct rivals, this can’t be said about the Galaxy Note 3. There’s no other extra-large smartphone (or phablet, if you will) that can offer the combination of high-end hardware and software features that the Note has. The S Pen stylus and Samsung’s suite of specific apps for it make the device a unique one. We assume that everyone’s expecting the Galaxy Note 4 to be better than the Note 3 - thus, once more, this has the potential of being a handset with no direct competitors. Reportedly, the Note 4 will feature a 5.7-inch Super AMOLED display with 1440 x 2560 pixels, a 16 MP rear camera, 3 GB or 4 GB of RAM, and a Snapdragon 805 (or Exynos 5 Octa) chipset.
Samsung shipped 10 million Galaxy Note 3 units in two months from launch, and continued to ship millions more since then (the 10 million milestone was achieved in December last year). Do you think the Galaxy Note 4 can be even more successful, thus helping Samsung to return to high profit margins? If that’s the case, the Note 4 will be more important to Samsung than the S5, wouldn’t it? Feel free to cast your votes in the poll below, or weigh in in the comments if you have answers that go beyond a simple yes or no.
1. Drsarcastic (Posts: 37; Member since: 23 Jul 2014)
Samsung tells everyone the s5 is their flagship.
But they know what their true flagship is...
52. Liveitup (Posts: 1345; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
@ARTE-8800, This is where you reside when you're not trolling WP, you give true Android fans a bad name.
62. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I don't like Ms
Wp is ok
I don't like Apple
Apple products are ok
63. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1065; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
arte-8800 this is perfect comment i could not say it better myself
93. dratomic (Posts: 464; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
i like ms. but wp is not ok. i like apple but apple products are not ok in my book. i dont like restrictions.
75. TouchWiZSucks (Posts: 53; Member since: 12 May 2014)
@Liveitup , Arte-800 is just a kid who thinks he knows everything about tech.See the way he comments and bashes Apple and Microsoft. He has to post multiple time in each article even when the answer is obvious.
78. JakeLee (banned) (Posts: 1021; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
Last time he wrote something why Android is laggy.
What he did was nothing else than copying an article an ex Google intern wrote on his blog.
All he can do is ctrl+c/v
79. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8692; Member since: 14 May 2012)
The same way you Ctrl+c/v comments on almost single Android article? k.
98. billgates (banned) (Posts: 555; Member since: 29 May 2014)
You sticking up for artee? Nice
106. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I stick up for Smurf and you!
15. doejon (Posts: 358; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
especially all other phone get bigger and bigger and the "note-size" is almost standart.. so that means the true flagship is the note
23. hung2900 (Posts: 805; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Note 2 >>>>> crappy S3
Note 3 >>>>> crappy S4
S5 is crappy too. Not hard too guess
64. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1065; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
hung 2.9 incher i have s3 and its great the best in america we got the 2 gb ram so its still up and running hard core with kitkat 4.4.2 s4 and s5 yes crap.
30. AnTuTu (Posts: 887; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Hell yeah Note series is far better than my S4 (own) and S5 (don't own)
60. torr310 (Posts: 392; Member since: 27 Oct 2011)
Things would be changed if Note announced earlier and Galaxy S announced later in the year.
Why not ask if S6 is more important than Note 4 to Samsung?
It's just that the tech involves fast during the half year.
65. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1065; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
this is so true the gs6 will be the make or break for the company considering most of use did not upgrade to that s5 crap and the alpha is perfect for us minus the battery and the 720 screen am ok with the 720 but the battery really samsung are you trying to end your mobile company.
82. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3033; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
This poll is silly if you ask me, there is no question if the Note 4 can be, it will be. The Original Note was hugely popular, so was the Note 2, so was the Note 3 even despite the lack of sucess the SGS4 truely had. The Note phones have always been huge because each time Samsung seems to not only make it bigger and better but they also seem to fix a lot of the Galaxy S flaws.
Example: SGS3 had a dim, pentile display and poor battery life. Note 2 had non pentile amoled display that was brighter and more crisp and battery life was way better.
SGS4 had similar issues as the S3, less than stellar performance with snapdragon 600 processor
Note 3 was a massive improvement, brighter display, better battery life, more ram, snapdragon 800 processor.
Note 4 is going to have an even brighter display, more realistic natural amoled technology, even better battery life, etc.
109. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1007; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
You hit it right on the button. the Note series has been the flagship of Samsung since 2011 when the original Note came out
2. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
The Note series leads, others follow
The first phone to have 4gb Ram, and hopefully DDR4 Ram?
61. hurrycanger (Posts: 1190; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
if facebook is all you need, a sub $100 phone will do.
66. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1065; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
sorry facebook is for the kids on the iphone not working people its a kids site now. like myspace is a music site
76. darkskoliro (Posts: 990; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Sorry. I'm working class, and the only way I can communicate is through texting and emailing. Facebook is too immature for me, a social media site?? You have got to be a kid to use that. No way I would conform to the largest social media platform to connect with other people. That's absolutely reserved for teens these days! Right-o! Back to emailing my clients.
84. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3322; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
Teens and young adults don't use FB. They've moved to Snapchat and Instagram and others.
FB is for old people to share family pics and crappy companies to put up their propaganda.
29. warrenellis (Posts: 54; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
i think mark is refering to the headline of this story
4. gigaraga (Posts: 1226; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
S5 is definitely more popular, but the Note 4 is way more important. They need to get the BEAST right (not like they haven't done that~)
5. dickwyn (Posts: 596; Member since: 07 May 2012)
the question should be "IS THE GALAXY NOTE 4 BE MORE IMPORTANT TO SAMSUNG THAN THE S5?"
6. Busyboy (Posts: 350; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Obviously. Maybe not in sales but everything else yes.
7. xfire99 (Posts: 542; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
Seems like 15 persons dont have a clue what they are voting at.
Note series has never been important to Samsungs sales. Galaxy S5 is and failed the expectations.
19. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2379; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
Samsung's second highest selling series of phones isn't important to their overall sales? I don't think those 15 people are the ones lacking in clues.
101. xfire99 (Posts: 542; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
U need some glasses. Read what this article is about again!
Show me which of the Note model in smartphone category had sold more than S smartphones series.
By looking at all the ads Sammy throwing out and its clear which ones is most important to Sammys sales.
110. g2a5b0e (Posts: 2379; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
I need glasses? Where in my post did I say the Note series sold more than the S series?
"Second highest selling series"
Very simple to understand. Doesn't sell as much as the S series, but still a big chunk of the yearly sales.
9. Mreveryphone (Posts: 50; Member since: 22 Apr 2014)
They're both equally important... The S5 is their first half of the year flagship and the Note is their second half of the year flagship... The profits they made with the galaxy series back in the day allowed them to gamble on the note series. Now the tables are turning and maybe the profits they'll make with the Note 4 will allow them to gamble with the S series and bring a new design to the table. But hey I could be way off...
10. DouchebagWendy (banned) (Posts: 15; Member since: 14 Aug 2014)
Changing phone is like changing clothes, you wear Dior yesterday, Prada for today. Samsung is yesterday brand, today's brand is XiaoMi Lenovo and Huawei :)
12. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Is that you Wendygarrett?
33. BattleBrat (Posts: 1099; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
I think it is, long time!
I think from the leaked shots that the note 4 will be one sexy beast. But I cannot justify upgrading from my note 3, especially with my Shield handling all my Android gaming needs
67. engineer-1701d (Posts: 1065; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
did she get banned because i thought she was the apple lover chick. ?i think you are right arte
72. AfterShock (Posts: 2812; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I thought she switched camps towards the end?
17. gigaraga (Posts: 1226; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
You mean the Chinese companies? That only get by selling flagships at cheap prices?
24. HugoBarraCyanogenmod (Posts: 212; Member since: 06 Jul 2014)
A wise smartphone lover dont loyal to the single brand just like shopaholic do to the clothes, xiaomi is just an example, in south korea, LG is today's brand
46. wilsong17 (Posts: 972; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
I'm sorry but not USA lte compatible no fun
28. warrenellis (Posts: 54; Member since: 06 Apr 2011)
arte-8800, all these peoples comments you keep asking about are in reference to question in the headline of this story, does his comment make sense to you now?
35. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
But is it the Note or the Sseries?
92. DONUT (Posts: 307; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
simple understanding of vocabulary would have already let u know he was referring to the Note
97. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I didn't read the headline, but read the article.
102. tedkord (Posts: 4949; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The Note 4. I never had any intention of buying an S5, even before it was released (though if it wowed me I might have. It didn't) I was always going to see what the Note 4 had to offer before deciding. If I like what I see, I'll give it a month or two to see if there are any serious bugs and if they're getting ironed out, and see what the root and bootloader situation look like, then I'll decide if I'm getting it or not.
Patience is a virtue, and with the state of smartphone advancement slowdown the past year or two, patience has been a must have.
104. magnum44 (unregistered)
I wish I had your patience man