Browser Wars: the best 10 Android browsers go toe-to-toe
0. phoneArena 10 Oct 2013, 10:32 posted on
benchmarking overall browser performance is a tricky affair. There's always the fear that one or all (in which case its fine) of the browsers you may want to test are going to game the benchmark one way or another....
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
78. Chris.P (Posts: 486; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
Am I missing something, or is there actually Safari for Android?
28. fistigons (Posts: 305; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
I use Opera Mini on my iPad and S3, but it does crash fail to load pages a lot. I usually have to close out of the app completely. I'm not sure if there's something in the setting to change to prevent this. I think I'm going to try UC browser and maybe give dolphin another try. Thanks for the tests PA and showing me I have options.
29. mohann (Posts: 10; Member since: 10 Apr 2013)
where is next browser? it is best of all !!!
31. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
Tried them all many times. Dolphin delivers smooth scrolling, good load times and convenient favorites area that slides in from the edges for faster navigation. Any browser that takes 3 or 4 steps to get to favorites needs a redesign.
41. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
That's my biggest complaint with Firefox, bookmarks need help. I still use it the most though, mainly because I like the tab experience, especially on tablets.
32. Miracles (Posts: 560; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Sounds a little too good to be true. Doesn't seem legit.
33. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 234; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
Anyone else disappointed when they searched for Puffin on the Play Store only to find out that there is a paid version? Why would you limit the usability of your browser? People are going to get turned off by the limiting features. I would never pay for a browser, ever. I will happily stick with Chrome until something else just comes and blows me away.
52. boosook (Posts: 1392; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Maybe because even software developers do have to pay the bills?
36. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Puffin results are way out of line. I use Dolphin BTW, on the N4 it's the perfect balance between smoothness, snappiness and functionality. Chrome would be so good if it didn't lag.
67. bigstrudel (Posts: 518; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
When you run Browsermark on Dolphin it shows up as Safari browser on the results.
Explains the smoothness.
38. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
Omg THANK YOU for this article!
A true desktop performance on a phone is finally there!
40. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
It's been "there" for awhile now - blows everything out of the water.
42. livyatan (Posts: 867; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
..just to add that I am enjoying super smooth performance (especially scrolling-wise) with my Note 3 and Dolphin with Jetpack.
But this PUFFIN browser simply means a revolution for everyone wanting to use tablets or their phones connected to external screens, for a complete desktop grade tasks.
43. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 959; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Personally, Opera Mini is the best for me, it's by far the most consistently fast, fluid and efficient all-in-one.
I use Opera Mini the most along with Chrome Beta. :)
76. bohdan4ik13 (Posts: 103; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Yup, Opera Mini is my choice when I need to load pages very fast.
44. Bedz81 (Posts: 83; Member since: 30 Dec 2012)
I don't use Opera for my mobile but on my PC, its my preferred choice next to Chrome, Dolphin is my mobile choice next to Chrome but i may have to try out this Puffin....see what it's saying
47. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
I am a Dolphin & UC browser user !!! but i will definitely give Puffin a swing !!
48. Stuntman (Posts: 834; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
I'm definitely going to try out Puffin. I currently use Chrome on my SGS3. On my Transformer TF101, I started to use Opera Mini because I need the speed boost. I'll see if Puffin is any good.
49. matrix_neo (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
I prefer dolphin. Since I owned an android device, dolphin is my default browser. It's fast, easy to use and bookmarking is so easy. I tried puffin also but it can't load a single page even I have a good internet connection. I have also UC browser, Maxthon, Boat and Next browser but still going back to Dolphin in everyday use.
51. N-fanboy (Posts: 543; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
I prefer to use opera most of the timd because its the only decent browser that works on a 2G network. I also like UC but that thing is messy and inconsistant.
53. Meleagru (Posts: 92; Member since: 03 Dec 2012)
Naked browser is better, just because of features. Puffin has a big security hole, rerouting your traffic through its servers. I'd rather lose half a second in speed and gain 100% in privacy.
56. scsa852k (Posts: 329; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
I've tried most of those browsers.
Dolphin, Maxthon, Firefox, UC, Opera, Boat.
But I kept coming back to Chrome.
I never heard of Puffin. I should give it a try.
61. Yaldabaoth (Posts: 42; Member since: 06 Jun 2012)
So... Puffin is taking the throne that Skyfire abdicated years ago? I'd probably still be using Skyfire on my Touch Pro 2 if the service was still up.
64. Shatter (Posts: 2036; Member since: 29 May 2013)
72. harigrg33 (Posts: 181; Member since: 20 May 2013)
This app is not available in ur country wat the f
69. antmiu2 (Posts: 271; Member since: 19 Jun 2011)
They forgot the best minimalistic browser... Naked Browser has an 4.7 score in the play store!
70. julz17ronald (Posts: 48; Member since: 26 Apr 2013)
I usually use Firefox and it's really good. I will try Puffin this time.
75. GrmanR (Posts: 41; Member since: 09 Apr 2013)
Can I sync Puffin with Chrome on my desktop? That's the only feature that keeps me using Chrome
80. giri.1131 (Posts: 22; Member since: 21 Feb 2012)
Just downloaded puffin after this article . . its ridiculously fast and looks really cool with handy features. .
sad news though the flash feature is limited in the free edition :(
82. imnotascammer (Posts: 160; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
Puffin is insanely fast indeed! Main complain is that, it kinda lags? Well, Chrome does lag too.
84. arslanalikhan (Posts: 9; Member since: 18 Feb 2013)
when puffin and google keyboard available in uae :@:@:@:@ on my s4
85. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 864; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Where's the UI part of the article?
That's what I was looking for...
87. Ronny666 (Posts: 108; Member since: 08 Jun 2013)
Tried Puffin after reading the article and it's really fast. Still the UI is not very smooth. Best part is I can view sites banned in my country. :) I'd have this as my alternate browser for Flash sites.
88. sckortyman (Posts: 23; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
Am I the only one here who cares about scrolling speed, and clean design far more than load times and benchmarks? Tried puffin. It was complete crap. Favorite browser on low end phones is still the stock browser. Clean and extremely smooth. Chrome is my favorite on high end devices that have enough horsepower. Love the UI of chrome.
89. aanar (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Oct 2013)
Download Paid ANdriod Apps for Free:
90. poping (unregistered)
i use opera because it has word wrap capability...
91. crazyfists (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
the best browser is n0t present...try NEXT BROWSER and ull see the difference.
95. Tech_Junkie1996 (Posts: 43; Member since: 29 Aug 2013)
Why is Puffin so unknown? It was the only browser on the list that I didn't recognize and it blew the competition out of the water! I installed it and can't believe how fast it is. Full webpages loaded in a second, on Sprint's 3G! I've never been able to load anything with Sprint, and with such speed! I hate to say this but Puffin just stole a Chrome lover.
98. Palladium (Posts: 21; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
I don't care about synthetics, and from my own experience Dolphin destroys AOSP, Firefox and Chrome in terms of scrolling smoothness and usability. The unobstructive full screen mode in Dolphin alone makes it light years ahead.
100. alxndrs (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Dec 2013)
Thanks to this article my generation old phone and tablets when it comes to browsing has been "updated", meaning Puffin performs as advertised. Now my Nook HD and HD+ is as fast as my iPad and don't even use it anymore. The developers should market this more as it is the best browser out of all tested, I've used them all.
101. FYoung (Posts: 42; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
Does anybody have a solution for syncing bookmarks between Puffin on Android and a desktop?
108. ileviaggi (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Dec 2015)
Use a fast, free web browser Download GooglePlay --> Donate Browser