Brazilian city with Foxconn factory names street after Steve Jobs
along which Foxconn built its factory that manufacturers the Apple iPhone 4 and Apple iPad 2. Apple Insider says that since last February, units of the iPhone 4 constructed in that facility have been available, and that iPad 2 units built in the same factory will soon be offered for sale.
Apple CEO Tim Cook has said that he expects "major growth" from Brazil. Domestic production is the key to turning a profit in the country since Brazil's import tariffs are high enough to double the price of some imported Apple products for sale in the country.
source: MacMagazine (translated) via AppleInsider
1. ivanko34 (Posts: 617; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
At the middle of the street there is also a memorial to all the foxconn workers dead by suicide
4. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
What's it called?
10. christianqwerty (Posts: 463; Member since: 05 May 2011)
You are just jealous because you have never accomplished anything in your life like steve jobs did.
12. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
You are so right, it is so difficult these days , in a world so vast, to steal others' ideas and patent them as your own to make billions; or, to have everyone whom you've ever dealt with and has come physically within an inch of your nAusiAting presence to only speak ill of you; or, to be such an insecure control freak (probably due to the fact that you were abandoned by both parents) that you must exercise absolute control and authority with regard to how other people who have overpaid for a liMiTed-in-functiOnAliTy product actually get to use it; yes, I've never accomplished being the sole sAviOr and leader of millions of mindless lost and in dire need of vAliDation four-legged mammals (two when on bended knees).
14. christianqwerty (Posts: 463; Member since: 05 May 2011)
While he was making billions and changing the way smart phones were and how they looked, you were just sittin on the computer calling people sheeeps
16. medicci37 (Posts: 887; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Just because he made billions, doesn't mean he was a decent human being. the Nazi death camps were also quite profitable.
17. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Completely agree... Now note the facing-in barbed wire all over the place!!!
18. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I call them no such thing, I just say:
8. Johnny_Mnemonic (Posts: 240; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Good title for a movie. ( Horror on ish**p street )
9. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
As a Brazilian, i am deeply disturbed and ashamed of such. I hope every worker there sabotages those pieces of iJunk. Nough said.
11. Republican (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Wonderful news. The Free Market marches on,opening new avenues for cheap unskilled labor throughout the Third World,therefore enabling us to enjoy more affordable higher end electronics. Brazil is on the right track,now let the rest of Latin America follow suit.
13. christianqwerty (Posts: 463; Member since: 05 May 2011)
So if someone has an iPhone or an iPad, they Are a sheep? Some people just like the products. Like me
22. Lift_Off (Posts: 152; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
sorry your on phonearena.com. if you like apple, you're an idiot I guess. Theres no such thing as just simply preferring apple products here. your just a sheep.
15. medicci37 (Posts: 887; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
I thought high tariffs killed jobs ? So I guess that if the US raised tariffs on certain imports, Apple would have to bring some of those jobs back to America.
19. Republican (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Tariffs well as unions and the Federal Minimum Wage should be completely eliminated. Free Market Capitalism is the only way. US workers are too expensive as it is,they must be made competitive,otherwise jobs will keep leaving overseas.
20. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
I get that Foxxcon doesn't have a good track record but adding jobs to a small town and reducing the cost of electronic products by bypassing the import tax, albeit being Apple products, is a good thing.
P.S. I'm from Brazil so I know how much jobs are needed out there and how absurdly expensive electronics cost.