Boxy LG Vu 3 to take on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 with a lower price tag
0. phoneArena 16 Sep 2013, 09:01 posted on
The boxy exterior of the LG Vu line of phablets has been a target of mockery outside of Asia. The odd, uninviting 4:3 aspect ratio of the screen means that LG's phone is pretty unwieldy...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. papss (unregistered)
Lg I love you but this vu needs to die ASAP.. It's about as ugly as they come.
2. Topcat488 (Posts: 1395; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
If LG made this with 6.2" it would "KILL" the note 3... The Note 3 has been getting skinnier and skinnier, every year. LG keep the width but make it longer to hold a 6.2" screen, make a built-in stylus.
4. McLTE (Posts: 809; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Sorry, but this phone in any iteration will never "KILL" the Note 3.
Nobody wants the boxy 4:3 form factor anymore. WAY too wide and unwieldy. The current version sucks in my opinion, I can't imagine what a 6.2" would be like. No thanks.
While I did like the Note 1's 16:10 aspect ratio, I'm used to and fine with the switch to 16:9.
True, the Note 3 is ever so slightly thinner than the 2, but while increasing the screen size, how could one complain? To me it's a huge success in keeping the phone basically the same dimensionally.
12. iDroid8 (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
you can't imagine that?
it'd be just like the ipad mini-same aspect ratio, but with a diagonal around 1.5" smaller, near to the z ultra
and as far as i know, the apple tablet(s) has been selling quite well despite its 4:3 ratio
13. g2a5b0e (Posts: 3723; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
A 4:3 aspect ratio might be acceptable for a tablet, but not necessarily for a phone. 16:10 & 4:3 seem to be the most common tablet ratios, while 16:9 & 5:3 are what I see most on phones.
3. Whateverman (Posts: 3253; Member since: 17 May 2009)
The Vu didn't do all that well, so I can't imagine what the Vu 3 will offer to make this one any different.
5. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
best phone in the world for reading comics, mangas and books.
i hope LG include sdcard slot and bigger battery this time.
7. donutwindy (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Hate 9x16 phones. They get too long for a pocket before you get any real width to the screen, weather maps come out too skinny and they're top heavy. I would LOVE to see large 2x3 phones. Apple got it right, just too small. I think 3x4 might be a little too square, nevertheless I'll buy one. I want the width, but don't want the length of the Galaxy mega. And this will be the only choice. But why can't someone do 2x3 again?
8. donutwindy (Posts: 6; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Let us hope they keep the 650nit brightness of the vu 2. As I can't read the note outdoors easily. If history repeats, the battery will be too small though someday, they'll make thicker phones with big batteries and great cameras, but I'm sure this one will go thin like every other phone.
Should be quite pocketable. Width has never been the issue, its the length that makes things hard to pocket. And this phone isn't as huge as it appears. A three inch wide screen isn't that wide.
9. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10443; Member since: 14 May 2012)
One of the most awkward phones to ever hold in your hands is getting a newer model...
10. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is the King of phoblet.(phone tablet). What is phablet stand for?
16. LG_is_the_best (unregistered)
Phablet: Ph (Phone) + ablet (tablet).
19. flipflopdevice (Posts: 2; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Worst pronunciation ever... Phoblet... hehehe
11. theruleslawyer (Posts: 108; Member since: 23 Apr 2012)
I wonder if the odd aspect ratio causes problems with many apps? I know back when I first got my note 1, the non-standard resolution and aspect for back them caused a few issues.
21. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
no problem with any apps at all,in mangawatcher or comics reader it scale up nicely and can have a full screen without problem.
the IPS LCD display really sharp to display any small text too
14. Immolate (Posts: 310; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
What a hideous phone. Not sure why anyone would buy this stinker when they could have 5.2" in a LG G2 which is a great phone, though a bit too Samsung IMO. But that screen... mmm mmm mmm.
15. shamataa (Posts: 215; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
This phone is trash. My god. Why would you make a third phone?
17. DukeX (Posts: 327; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Dide phonearena just nag about this thing having a snappy 800? Ik this phone doesn't appeal to many but im sure anyone who does buy it will be very happy with the chipset.
22. artealis (Posts: 98; Member since: 15 Dec 2010)
anyone who buying this, will be happy with the aspect ratio not the chipset.
20. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I agree with majority, that does not look good at all.