Boston University sues Apple for patent infringement
Boston University has already filed claims against eight other manufacturers including Samsung and Amazon. One tech analyst, Roger Kay of Endpoint Technologies Associates, believes that if BU wins its case against Apple, it could end up netting as much as $75 million. He says that a settlement could also result in that high of a payout. What might sway a jury in the University's favor is the fact that at least one company pays a licensing fee to use the component in question.
source: BostonHerald via electronista
1. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5478; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Good luck for Boston University! :)
5. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
This is a new height of Apple patent trolling business. Now Apple is teaching suing to universities. Next will be Boston University V/s Harvard.
17. jdoee100 (Posts: 305; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Apple has no one to blame. They opened the pandora's box.
30. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6405; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
more BAD KARMA for APPLE. LETS GO BOSTON!!
33. stealthd (Posts: 956; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
Are you supporting their suit against Samsung and Amazon too? Or just Apple because they're in the headline?
2. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1268; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
A new player joined the Holy Patient War haha
4. rawbow (Posts: 423; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
M gonna check my family tree again..hope I find that professor listed there somewhere.. Man 75 million!!
10. ihatesmartphone (unregistered)
6. shamataa (Posts: 202; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Yea Boston!. I hope you win and get that 75 million dollars. Apple honestly deserve that and i can say that with no regret because they are a piece of crap of a company. they say they don;t want copying and yet they literally copy other OS's aka Android. What a bunch of hypocrites man. Seriously grow some balls.
7. xperiaDROID (limited) (Posts: 5399; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Holy crap! Apple don't have much juice left, and now the Boston University joins the Patent War! lol
Good luck Boston University! You deserve it, Apple.
16. tedkord (Posts: 4716; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Karma at its finest.
Well, if they demanded a total ban instead of money,that would be Karma at its finest. This is Karma at its second finest.
18. networkdood (Posts: 6267; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Mxy knows trolling...that is for sure. This is not patent trolling...unlike zmicrosoft or Apple the direct creator of the patent is suing and already has a company paying to use it.
20. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1352; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
So by your definition, anyone can be a patent troll EXCEPT for Apple. Get real.
I have said before that almost anything built is done so using ideas or components that are not their own. There's nothing wrong with that, as long as the originator is compensated. That's what the patent system is there for.
If someone loans money to someone and then expects them to pay it back, they aren't money hungry, they're only expecting to be reimbursed for the loan. You seem to have some really skewed views about this industry. Apple didn't invent it, and they're just as capable of patent infringement as any other company. Take the blinders off and realize while they do produce a good product, they aren't the be all/ end all of the mobile industry.
26. tedkord (Posts: 4716; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
No, by his definition everyone except Apple IS a patent troll.
9. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 386; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Sue sue sue.......if i had a nickel for everytime someone sued somebody, I'd use that money to buy more patents so i could sue again.
Seriously getting tired of all this.
11. MartianMe (unregistered)
some one is about to get pay...Lol
12. darkvadervip (Posts: 311; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
Really. Did you all not see Samsung getting sued too. So stop jumping on apple unless you getting paid to.
14. Castro90 (Posts: 38; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Really, did you not see that this post is about Apple. The comments are following correctly.
21. MartianMe (unregistered)
I read the article ... and out of all those companies..apple is the one who deserves it the most..
15. Bernoulli (Posts: 1443; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
what I don't understand is how can the university expect at most only 75million USD, while apple clawed 1.05 billion out of Samsung.
19. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Exactly. In all reality, $75 mil is easy for Apple to pay out. Probably call it an "education grant."
31. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6405; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
The University should of ask 1.05 BILLION from Apple they have plenty of cash more than any other company
32. Bernoulli (Posts: 1443; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Technically they still have yet to ask, the judge is the one that determines the amount awarded, all in all let's hope the judge isn't Lucy koh again
23. GoBears (Posts: 346; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Samsung should buy the patent for some ridiculous amount and then go for a sales ban.
28. Caukerzee (Posts: 35; Member since: 02 Jul 2013)
That money is just peanuts for apple though. They could give double that amount to BU and not feel as if anything has happened.
29. DarkShadow (Posts: 51; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
ha ha ha ha sue them that eye icrap apple