BlackBerry working on a fix for BBM for iOS; bogus reviews found on Google Play Store
0. phoneArena 23 Oct 2013, 10:46 posted on
If you were one of the millions who installed BBM for iOS, you might have noticed that the update to iOS7.0.3 which was sent out on Tuesday, makes the messaging app cras; this happens whenever you press a contact name listed under Chats, although some have reported that the app crashes as soonas it is opened. The problem is that iOS 7 support for the font used by BBM, "HelveticaNeue-Italic", was removed with the new update...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. deathgod (Posts: 122; Member since: 23 Nov 2011)
Finally got to install it last night but didn't get a chance to chat with anyone (don't have anybody's BBM PIN), one thing I noticed is that there's no way to exit the app. I had to force close it from settings. I don't know how much of a battery drain this could be but its annoying to have that BB icon stuck on the nav bar when not in use.
2. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 879; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
That's why I already deleted mine. I already have What's App and Hangouts. BBM brings more drawbacks than benefits compared to the other 2.
6. Izoe (Posts: 130; Member since: 02 Sep 2010)
Installed and working on my htc one x with no hickups been using it for two days now, haven't noticed any drop in battery life. I've been using whatsApp and I find that the bbm is much better than whatsapp. first of all you don't have to give out your phone number to people. It has a Better presentation, better organisation, its more intuitive than whatsApp. WhatsApp works like the bbm app its always on, only difference is you don't have an icon showing you its on. You say it brings drawbacks, I would ask you to name a few things whatsApp does better than bbm or an advantage it has over bbm. Irrespective of your platform, lets give credit where its due.
10. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 879; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
My top 10 List
1) I have my friends phone numbers already. It's annoying tracking everyone down for a pin. I don't pick up girls asking for their BBM pin. I'm an adult. If I want to talk to you I'll give you my number. If not I won't. It's an outdated concept.
2) I think the always on icon thing is stupid and annoying.
3) I did notice a drop in battery.
4) The presentation and organization is a matter of opinion. In my opinion it's not as good as What's App. To me What's App is a lot crisper and cleaner.
6) Emoji on my android.
7) Cross platform with some of my friends that are Windows Users.
8) What's app works great with my friends overseas.
9) Given the article. Still has some bugs to work out.
10) Me: "Hey add me on BBM." Everyone else: "I can't I still haven't gotten my access to it."
13. Izoe (Posts: 130; Member since: 02 Sep 2010)
The only reasonable thing in your list above is the fact that you have some friends using windows phone, however the fact that you don't have friends on bbm should not affect your review of the performance of the app. The icon can be turned off, if you've really used it you would know. You are the first person I've come across that has complained about battery issues. If you don't have contacts using bbm it means you werent chatting with the app, so what data exactly was it transmitting? As long as I've been using it, I haven't had any problem chatting with my friends overseas, or did you have that sort of problem? The fact that you are referring to the article to state that the app has issues means you didn't experience any yourself while you where using it (if you really did). Do you think there is any platform that has the server capacity to handle millions of users all at once? Remember the Google PlayStore crashed when lots of people tried buying nexus devices during the rush. Its only logical they would grant people access in batches. So your comment should have gone more like this, "I installed the app, it functioned all right but unfortunately I didn't have contacts, so I chose to uninstall it". When using a new app, doing it with an open mind, not with prejudice. However, if I notice the app is messing with my phone in a wrong way, I will not hesitate to say so. But so far so good. Every app has pros and cons, you cant simply say it was all bad
15. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 879; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
I'm complaining about BBM based on MY experience with it. If you downloaded it and caused rainbows and unicorns to shoot out of your anus so be it. Good for you. Enjoy it.
I was excited that it finally came. I had been looking forward to this since I had given up the Blackberry Bold touch screen. Have been chatting with people, don't like it as much as other comparable apps that I use and had problems with it. End of story. Apparently I'm not the only person that thinks the same based on other comments below. Now unless you work for Blackberry and your paycheck depends on it let me be and I'll let you be.
16. Izoe (Posts: 130; Member since: 02 Sep 2010)
Don't know what my anus has to do with you, but if you cant have a civilized conversation without being foul, maybe you should just stay in your cave
17. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 879; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
It's obvious I would stay in my cave. As the Starks say, "Winter is coming", but I have a pretty good internet connection in here.
You made an assumption that I didn't even use it or had an open mind. So I made an assumption about your experience with BBM. Seems pretty fair.
4. knightameer (Posts: 5; Member since: 02 Jun 2013)
You can disable the bbm icon in bbm settings.. as for force closing.. it's the same as whatsapp
8. cezarepc (Posts: 674; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Yep there's a way to exit it, you just have to look for it in the settings.
And IMO BBM is the best messaging app atm (maybe a tie with hangouts - but you have to give away your email for hangouts and I don't like that sometimes).
I've been using BBM on android for the past two days too like Izoe and no crashes or problems that I can see whatsoever. It's a highly optimized messaging app and works great on my cheap-o Android phone.
11. knightameer (Posts: 5; Member since: 02 Jun 2013)
I have been using it too since yesterday.. must say it's all good and smoothie.. but one problem I face is that when sending media, the transfer is painfully slow and there is no compression of pics available..
7. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
BBM. Another messenger to talk to the same people, it's like buying five remotes for the same TV. :)
18. mottykels (Posts: 373; Member since: 15 May 2013)
You can turn off that icon, go to bbm apps >settings the look for: BBM connected icon tap to off :)
Still working, i still recieve chat/messages
19. Ikechukwu (Posts: 185; Member since: 03 Oct 2011)
My Z Ultra started manifesting some annoying behaviors after I installed that app. I just deleted it cause my battery died faster than usual, app is always on. Damn it, whatsapp will do
3. madmikepr (Posts: 136; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
Is a great app but!!!! Sending pic is horrible a pic ok 178kb send it in 17.00 kb it looks like a minecraft picture Lol
5. Dastrix (unregistered)
Whatsapp is so much better...
9. xoxoGeorges (Posts: 209; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
I already have ~40 contacts and a good number of friends are still waiting actvation.
12. androadictto (Posts: 13; Member since: 17 Oct 2013)
Here we go BBM issues, cant understand why people is so excited about it, whatsapp is the king.
14. nick.dillon91 (Posts: 4; Member since: 23 Oct 2013)
Personally I downloaded it and had it on my phone less than 12 hours. After using it, it offers nothing of value to me. I have an iPhone 5s so iMessage works wonderful for me. With BBM I had to use a PIN code for my friends, with iMessage I used a PIN code called a "phone number". For those that don't use iMessage, then I either text, FB Message or Whatsapp. BBM is too late to the game to mean anything for me.
20. bukas4luv (Posts: 5; Member since: 15 Oct 2013)
there is update for bbm for ios now bug fiss
21. Zeeya (Posts: 263; Member since: 17 Mar 2013)
BBM is the best!
Why a PIN? Because sometimes we want talk to people talk to friends or strangers but dont want to give them our number! Privacy Dude!
its just the best...
10 F*ing Million in 24hours... and so far 20 Million new User!
Till next Year 100 Million!
In Two Years 200 Million!
What you actually have is BBM Light... the real BBM is coming step by step..
> BBM Video Call
> BBM Channel
> BBM Money
You blackberry haters.. use your shi...ty whatsapp... you will miss the best messenger experience ever!
BBM is the real King!
22. 9thWonderful (Posts: 232; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
installed BBM for iOS & immediately took it off after i found out i had to enter an email and be notified when i could sign up. who does that?