BlackBerry down to 1.5% worldwide market share, Android up to almost 81%
4. SAYED-EJAZ (Posts: 225; Member since: 10 Oct 2013)
Is i am the only one who felt sad seeing other OS marketshare ?
Mhaaan, that is nothing compared to droid !
Google doing amazing job !
7. sniper1087 (Posts: 508; Member since: 31 Dec 2011)
we dont want only one company succeeding, need some secondary and third os because of monopoly.
22. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3767; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I want all the OSs to co-exist in a way that OEM's give us, consumers, options on which OS we personally want in any particular device.
Say Galaxy S4...the hardware is there but we just have to tick the OS we want to make it a complete package.
9. sprockkets (Posts: 1611; Member since: 16 Jan 2012)
One thing is for sure, not feeling sorry for Microsoft - they had that kind of marketshare on the desktop, and we all know how they used that position.
16. Finalflash (Posts: 3095; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Damn straight, they deserve no respect until they learn to respect their customers. But good thing Android offers a whole market in itself. For a while, competition software wise will increase between all the major android OEMs, simulating multiple OSes in one. Should be for good competition.
34. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Android has 81 percent market share, but also 99 percent of mobile viri and security leaks. lol
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Hey look it's PAC MAN in the article thumbnail!
24. KIANO (Posts: 81; Member since: 13 Feb 2011)
Indeed, enter the PACdroid, still eating the rest of the left over. The question is; Has Android OS peak? If not, then it is on the way to total takeover.
2. D.Aceveda (Posts: 396; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
I love obvious news. Its so convenient and obvious
5. ocilfa (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
I said it before, but android is such a beast.
6. wilsong17 (unregistered)
go android go samsung go samsung galaxy note 3 ftw
42. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1422; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Go monopoly go! Cause monopoly is always great for the consumer!
48. Dastrix (unregistered)
That was brilliant!
8. lalalaman (Posts: 631; Member since: 19 Aug 2013)
Wp is really targeting ios...if apple don't do something.....I wish to see android not more than 75%...it will really drive the competition
10. MrsPotatoHead (banned) (Posts: 48; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
This is what I dont understand, if them Android phones have over 80% of the market, then why do everyone keep saying that Apple is number 1? It just dont make no sense to me.
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
They're #1 at making the most profits next to Samsung.
14. wilsong17 (unregistered)
they are number for having so much praise by the media making people believe
but in reality they still cant even make a 5 inch phone
28. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Apple being number one is different that OS wars like this.
Think of it as branding.
If by that chart we'll see the shipments and sales etc. We will know who is number 1. Not by OS because if it were OS, lots of OEM is using Android..
15. alaw.14 (Posts: 227; Member since: 10 Sep 2013)
Phonearena dont cry that your favorite company is at 14%.
18. _PHug_ (Posts: 444; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
I didn't think it was this bad. I was under the impression that Android was at 40 - 50% share.
Now I have to start rooting for Windows just for the underdog factor.
19. PapaSmurf (Posts: 10456; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Blackberry is at 2%, so are you going to root for that underdog?
20. Chris_Bakke (Posts: 235; Member since: 23 Jan 2013)
No, he wants his rooting to mean something and not go to a company that is going to go under or get bought in a few months.
21. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3767; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
WP is the underdog...BB is the beyond-dog.
40. _PHug_ (Posts: 444; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
I've never owned or used a BB/RIM device so I have zero rooting interest.
I had several Windows mobile devices before Android arrived so we have history.
23. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Go Android!!! Let us all bear witness to Android's glory while the destruction of apple's market share fills our hearts with joy!! :D
25. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3718; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
WP is also increasing, better than last time almost double.
29. orca99 (Posts: 87; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
It's so easy to dobule when the start point is so miniscule.
26. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 217; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Is it only me who thinks that the Maths doesn't add up
Android 81%, ios 14%, Windows 4%, Blackberry 1.5%, Others .3 % -Total 100.8%. Maybe its a rounding off error.
27. taikucing (unregistered)
lol, I remember when Nokia, Windows Mobile, & Symbian people underestimated android when Google was entering mobile phone market. Now the position is reversed, Nokia is dead and bought by Microsoft. WM (now WP) is under pressure and Symbian becomes a history.
32. UrbanPhantom (Posts: 949; Member since: 30 Oct 2012)
Nokia is not dead by any stretch of the imagination (neither is Ericson). WP8 is also the fastest growing mobile OS on the planet...
30. nasznjoka (Posts: 402; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
nice work android this time around #opensource wins
31. Edmund (Posts: 656; Member since: 13 Jul 2012)
The fact you can actually use a low end Windows Phone means a lot more than these numbers show.
33. one81one81 (Posts: 10; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
The charts looks like pacman trying to eat other mobile platform... ^_^
35. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
By the end of 2014
WP will grow to at least 12%
iOs will drop to about 7%
Android will drop to 76%
By the end of 2015
WP will grow to at least 21%
iOs will drop to about 4%
Android will drop to 70%
2 new operating systems will enter the market
By the end of 2016
WP will grow to at least 35%
iOs will drop to about 1% (Apple puts it mobile division for sale)
Android will drop to 57%
2 new operating systems increase by 2%
By the end of 2017
WP will grow to at least 37%
Android will drop to 49%
2 new operating systems increase by 7%
Before 2020 WP will overtake Android.
37. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
i'm sorry my friend but i'm not seeing that happening
second of all there is currently 6 operating systems in the competition so yeah
38. techguyone (Posts: 199; Member since: 18 May 2013)
I think that's just wishful thinking. I don't doubt that WP will grow some, or that IOS will drop some, and BB will probably disappear. Though I'd be surprised if WP ever gets to more than 10% in any meaningful time frame, guess we'll see the future unfold in due course. It makes things interesting for sure though.
39. ilia1986 (unregistered)
WP: 25% at best.
41. _PHug_ (Posts: 444; Member since: 11 Oct 2011)
Why are you here?
You should be busy sinking every penny you can accumulate into windows phone stocks.
43. Antonyjoseph (Posts: 217; Member since: 06 Apr 2013)
Increasing market share when the overall market is also growing is not going to be easy. I wish all the best for WP and competition is always good, but I dont see WP having more than 10% market share by 2015 end. Even if WP can manage 25% by 2020, it will be a great performance. I dont think even MS expects more than this.
45. amilcarmz86 (Posts: 95; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Ooh, i love to see android beating all ass3s...
49. Dastrix (unregistered)
I wasn't expecting Apple's market share to be so low. Heck, it's dangerously close to WP, given that WP's market share has been skyrocketing. WP slowly chipped at BB to the point of BB's extinction. Its increasing market share would most likely be at the expense of Apple's in 2014.
50. GrapeEyes (Posts: 248; Member since: 01 Sep 2013)
Nokia Lumia 1520 is just pure class!!
52. jroc74 (Posts: 6005; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Amazing how much the might have fallen. Google/Android....dont let the same happen to you...
I agree that even tho I kinda despise Apple, I want more products out there. Its better for us overall. I despise Apple, but them competing with Android make Android better.