BlackBerry Z30 announced: 5'' 720p display, 2GB RAM and Snapdragon S4 Pro
0. phoneArena 18 Sep 2013, 06:12 posted on
The BlackBerry Z30 was announced moments ago during a rather mysterious event in Kuala Lampur, Malaysia...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
17. timukh (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
yeah, great device but as always they will price it extremely wrong and the rest is history..
40. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1433; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Whoaa?? Did it just killed the htc one/max??? Lol
81. sarge77 (Posts: 201; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
it would be great if they actually use the quad core all that I speed will convince people to actually buy your product I would give it another round.
77. Kishin (Posts: 546; Member since: 30 May 2013)
74. Dr.Phil (Posts: 818; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I will say that I agree that this may be the end of Blackberry as an individual company. I do think they will be purchased by one of the other big smartphone manufacturers. I only hope that the new buyer takes a lot of the gesture based software and merges it into whatever platform that company supports.
Samsung could use it in their Tizen OS, but I actually will say that the one company I wish was buying Blackberry is Canonical. Ubuntu for phones is heavily gesture based and they would greatly benefit from an acquisition of this kind. I just hope there is more Blackberry hardware to come, just under a different direction than what the company is taking now.
The last hope would be if Blackberry were to come out with some new device in January that would blow everyone away in terms of hardware and software. I don't see it happening, but sometimes you have to reach rock bottom to realize your true potential.
79. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
A $1000 device with nexus 4 specs. I agree r.I.p. blackberry.
2. pokedude750 (Posts: 28; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
THIS is a monster... BUT WHY ON BB 10.2????????
Come one BlackBerry if you want to survive DITCH BB OS and Switch to Android.
5. Jason2k13 (Posts: 550; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
blackberry is blackberry, even if they shift to android, the public will still see the company as blackberry, samsung still dominates android.
25. Shatter (Posts: 1766; Member since: 29 May 2013)
If they made it on android they could at least expect to see some profit for once.
63. -box- (Posts: 3565; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
That's a big "if". Big corporations have mostly realized that they don't need BB anymore, and as highly priced as BBs are (overpriced, really), they save money going the Android or Windows Phone route, and loose little to no productivity and efficiency
12. sarge77 (Posts: 201; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Lol BB can just port apps over like they can do with apple to android very easy my thing with RIM is how many apps amd the dam reboot after each install not to sure if that changed. Man this is real good now competition is heating up nice work BB.
29. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 163; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
This has changed for BB10. There is no reboot needed after an app install.
82. sarge77 (Posts: 201; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
thx do the info man the funny thing is dont know how many times I dropped my BB but that dam thing still worked lol had the Bold before
36. Bernoulli (Posts: 1396; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Not all of us want lagdroid, I am currently typing this from my BlackBerry z10 and the only reason why I chose this phone was solely because of the OS, I love swyping from of thing to another, best part is that there is absolutely no lag, unlike android
43. TheM16 (Posts: 80; Member since: 14 Aug 2013)
People need to try the thing before judging and bluffing.
76. donfem (Posts: 480; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Particularly when you have people with little understanding judging a device with little or no information about the capabilities of the device
52. Pedro0x (Posts: 270; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Have you even tested the OS, it is awesome and intuitive, the lack of apps is another problem ofcourse, but the OS is really great and could rival iOS or Android (I am not mentioning WP here because it is not competitive enough) if it had apps. If BB would start selling their phones at a reasonable price, they´d see a rise from the dead.
65. -box- (Posts: 3565; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
"Not competitive enough": WP is solidly third in the smartphone race. BB is just barely fourth in front of Tizen.
69. Pedro0x (Posts: 270; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
It sucks as an OS, it misses a lot of features. The only salvation WP has are lumia 720,620 and 520, these are extremely well priced phones, if these phones didn´t existed WP would be dead in the water. If only OEMs started paying more attention to their low-end phones, like better optimization (it is possible to make low-end phones to be buttery-smooth, viz xda) and if xda can do it, why can´t big companies such as Samsung or Sony do it. Then WP would also be dead. I mean WP is such a boring OS, it brings almost nothing new to the table, meanwhile look at Android, with every new version it gets closer to the "perfect OS".
What I wanted to write is that while WP is nothing extraordinary and intuitive, BB OS bring at least something new, sure WP may feel modern and smooth but it is horribly slow. And if BB started selling their phones at a more competitive price, they would be able to get more market share than WP
70. Pedro0x (Posts: 270; Member since: 19 Oct 2012)
Yeah and boast that WP is third of four competitive OS:es it nothing to boast about:)
3. Troysyx (Posts: 108; Member since: 30 Jul 2012)
Its not the older chip set and the lower resolution screen that has me scratching my head and seeing BB digging their graves even deeper. Its the fact that we all know that they are going to be charging a high amount for it.
18. timukh (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
true.! i am guessing $199 on contract and $700-800 off contract.
38. Bernoulli (Posts: 1396; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
Probably at$t, none of the t-mobile phones cost more than 649$(iphone 5s)
32. GadgetsMcGoo (Posts: 163; Member since: 15 Mar 2013)
Yet still higher resolution than the latest iPhone 5s which has a comically low 1136 x 640 compared to 1280 x 720.
4. anleoflippy (Posts: 225; Member since: 03 Jan 2013)
So, announced in the country where I live eh? Not suprising though as Malaysians are still using Blackberry as their daily driver, same goes to Indonesia,
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 6621; Member since: 14 May 2012)
If BB offered this a year ago, that would have been great.
19. timukh (Posts: 134; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
why did they go from a 768p screen in z10 to a 720p screen in the z30?? O.o
66. -box- (Posts: 3565; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
Bigger screen. Need to balance size vs resolution when pricing them out. Not that big of difference, really.
7. aditya.k (Posts: 409; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
I thought it was dual-core chip? And quad-core graphics.?
20. Chris.P (Posts: 199; Member since: 27 Jun 2013)
That's a good point. I've edited the offending parts. The problem here is that BB isn't disclosing the exact make -- there is both a dual- and a quad-core S4 Pro, though thinking about it, they probably opted for the lesser one of the two (dual-core S4 Pro at 1.5GHz came with Z10, so it makes sense).
34. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 350; Member since: 24 May 2011)
As long as it runs smooth, those extra horses under the hood will just consume more fuel. No need for them
58. kozza3 (Posts: 573; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
its about future proofing... remember, most people will be stuck with this phone for 2 years, you can't sit there and tell me a better processor is not going to help
56. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 156; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
It is surely a marketing error. There is no quad core Adreno 320. It is just a single core GPU. They probably meant that the CPU is quad core. I have never seen Qualcomm advertize separately a quad core version of their GPU, but they do point out the quad core CPU.
So, the actual chip is a quad S4 pro, just like the Nexus 4 which is perfect for such a resolution. If this phone was priced right, it would have been perfect. At least, I hope they drop the price on a Z10 now quite drastically.
8. MCrapp (Posts: 312; Member since: 07 Apr 2013)
Front of that phone looks like half Note2 and half Z10 with BlackBerry juice!
9. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Doesn't look that bad actually. Though they should've included the 1080p display so that people can stop whining about a display that isn't even that bad.
Kinda want to get this. Lol.
10. Tsepz_GP (Posts: 664; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Very nice, I hope BB do not overprice it, at least for those BB fans who found the Z10 display small there is now the 5inch Z30.
11. jeff_1 (Posts: 105; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
this is an awesome phone for intelligent people...stay away android and apple fans..this is not for you..
26. buccob (Posts: 1046; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
Wow... we all must bow before you Mr intelligent... going after a dying company, with dying resources and dying development...
This is Indeed a nice phone... but I would consider intelligent people, those who go after the phone that suits them better without looking down on other people choices.
28. anirudhshirsat97 (Posts: 350; Member since: 24 May 2011)
Don't worry, We wont even touch it with a stick
41. jeff_1 (Posts: 105; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
you can though... with a stick made of gold..that's how precious this phone is.
37. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
INTELLIGENT....you have to have the knowledge of an ape to buy this phone....
39. jeff_1 (Posts: 105; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
i said stay away,,can't you understand??
now who's ape?
54. WHoyton1 (Posts: 1618; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
lol who says ape is that all you can come up with BB fanboy...face it BB is dead and this phone is c*ap
60. jeff_1 (Posts: 105; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
i wont stoop down to your level..
bb users are always 2 stairs ahead and android/ apple users..
2 steps below
say all you can.
57. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 156; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Weird, I always said that about Droidz...
44. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
Good thing the BB company doesn't have your attitude, they'd be bankrupt by now. "Android and iPhone users, check out this!" is what they should be saying.
I have a lot of respect for BB and this looks like a great phone, hope they do well with it and their other handsets.
48. jeff_1 (Posts: 105; Member since: 30 Aug 2013)
hello?! are you from planet saturn? Research in Motion has been bankrupt already!
13. jbitounis (Posts: 50; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Nowadays, I have come to avoid OSs or devices that require "the very latest, most expensive silicon to run fluidly". If anything, that is a sign of weak programming and bigger than average power consumtpion.
16. Jason2k13 (Posts: 550; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
its not just that... your paying a high price for old specs, while other competitions are giving out the best and newest specs for the same price.
So why would you pay more for less?
59. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 156; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
So, you actually pay more for a lazily programmed OS. Well done. There is more effort put in software rather than hardware and that should be apreciated. Everyone can shove new chips when somebody else does the job for you in pathetic programming. What actual use do you have of that latest quad core? Do you actually do intensive and productive work on your phone, just like your PC? Or you need that 0.5s to measure up since you lack somewhere else? My Nokia N9 lacks the latest SoC and yet it runs circles around your peoples Androids when it comes to real multitasking. So go pay more, Joe! This whole mobile industry is screwed and has gone to no innovation. Let's just shave off a 0.1s in the next years model and sell in the millions to these bunch of losers (Samsung thinking).
61. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 156; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Also, I just love how so many people complained about Samsung's plasticky S4 and yet they bought it when there are other phones with better materials. Go figure!
68. Jason2k13 (Posts: 550; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
who complained? or your just pulling excuses out of you a$$?
there is nothing wrong with S4 plastic, why would millions buy it if they hate it?
people can also buy covers or replace the back cover if they still dislike the plastic? problem solved
85. picka_vi_materina (Posts: 156; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
Nah.........surely nobody complained. You must have overslept that season.
67. Jason2k13 (Posts: 550; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
what can the nokia N9 do that my S4 or any android phone cant do? cause i can name a few that the N9 cant do?
There is no effort on hardware? what are you trying to say? the camera is bad on android phones? the battery life sucks?screen is bad? tell me what phone do you have that can compete with the high end android phones? in terms of hardware and software?
Did you even see what the latest snapdragon800 can do? it's not only powerfull and better for multi tasking, it also provides better battery life and less heat... yet you want to pay the same price with an S4 pro?
android is the only OS that are innovating, whats BB, apple or microsoft doing thats better?