BlackBerry Storm set to launch November 15th

0. phoneArena 27 Oct 2008, 03:26 posted on

The wait is almost over, as the Storm is on its way...

posted on 11 Nov 2008, 17:53

153. JasonLegend00 (unregistered)

What is wifi?

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 08:44

what is the point of having WIFI on a phone that you have to have a data plan. Doesn't make sense.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 08:49

obviously, speed.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 08:56

the difference is pretty small on a handheld device...

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 09:04

false

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 09:28

11. Dwight Schrute (unregistered)

I too was disappointed in the lack of WIFI in the Storm, but then realized that with Verizon's high speed Rev.A (3G) network, I really won't need WIFI. I can't wait to get this phone ahh!!!

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 09:31

12. your moms false (unregistered)

really so do you download entire movies to your phone? because download speeds is the on place that your really going to notice and that assuming is a fast original connection without too many users pulling the bandwidth which is very common in any public wifi spot.. and if your at home get off your lazy a$$ and go to your computer... hey look i have have wifi i can get a this sweet connection at starbucks.. oh wait its loading... still loading... oh there it goes.. man its sooo sweet ... or maybe hey look at me i dont have to roll off my couch to look at facebook i can stay here... oh man im soo sweet.... wifi totally rocks.. ahh thats awesome someone can hack right in to this unsecured connection... thank god for wifi

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 09:52

Speed isn't much different over wifi vs. 3g. At least on the i760 and XV6800, the two Verizon phones that have wifi and 3g. Unless you've got a stopwatch, you can't tell the differnece. And since the Storm requires a data plan, wifi is pretty unnecessary.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 10:28

to #13.....what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 11:21

Haha, great reply, I thought it was hilarious... and true... As for the price... I'd be willing to sell my second born child, but for my first born, it had better come at some discounted price with cool accessories! hehe. Honestly though, I'm anticipating some ridiculous price to come with this phone, which kind of sucks because the iphone is now selling for $200.00. It'd be nice to wrangle some of those att customers and bring them over to our side and make verizon that much bigger in New York. I bought my voyager for $175.00 with the applicable rebates and discounts, I just hope that I an buy the device with the same discounts when my turn is up!

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 11:44

wow thats not even from this decade and its nearing at least a decade since that movie was out... you must be on the same level as the idoits that cry about wifi.... my knee jerk reaction is hey the 90s want their joke back but then again why support the problem..

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 12:02

and because its not from this decade its not funny? that is the dumbest remark i have ever heard in my life. thats like saying quotes from the godfather are terrible because it was not made in 2006...idiot

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 14:01

40. Murphy tha dog (unregistered)

The only time i would really need wi-fi is when i get off of a plane and find out the carrier I'm on is down in that area and I can't make phone calls or send email, or send sms, happened to me once, and wi-fi would have come in handy.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 14:41

ur stupid, thats like having AOL dial-up and Qwest regular Hi-Speed, wat a waste you r #9

posted on 29 Oct 2008, 07:30

well its not really the speed. For my iphone on youtube and all the other phones my friends use whenever they try to watch video their phones its all blocky and no quality. Now with wifi over the iphone Picture quality is exactly like the computer screen and faster.

posted on 02 Nov 2008, 21:44

141. greggmh123 (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Nov 2008)

Having WiFi on a phone with a data plan makes perfect sense and is an absolute necessity for many business people. Why? I am a small business owner and I need email access every day. In the USA, I have my VZW data plan. Outside the USA, I'd be SOL in a lot of places. I used to take my laptop on vacation. Now I take my XV6800...it's just a wee bit smaller and lighter! In a pinch, I can even work on a client's server using the RDP client. Definitely NOT fun, but doable! Tell me if your data plan gets you Internet access at this location. 20 degrees south latitude 154 degrees west longitude In case you were wondering, that is roughly 300 miles southwest of Tahiti, in the middle of the ocean. My phone works there for email, using the ship's WiFi...does your non-WiFi phone let you get email there? Mine does, without having to go to AT$T sh*t USA service just for worldwide coverage. Until I need phone voice service in those circumstances, WiFi email will work perfectly. I can get email at any WiFi hotspot anywhere in the world. If I never left the USA, then I would not need it. I am amazed that no one mentioned this circumstance yet (unless I missed it). Gregg

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 10:29

Yeah, WI-FI isnt needed. You have to get the 29.99 data plan on any Blackberry with Verizon. Its the fastest option anyway. Who wants a slower internet where the more people that are on it, the slower it becomes? Theres a reason they dont put Wi-FI on it. I cant wait to check this phone out though.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 10:32

18. uhh (unregistered)

the storm would be in the stores im sure BY the 15th but it definitely will not go on sale on that date, VZW has never launched a device on a saturday and they won't this time, it is usually ALWAYS a Tues or Weds just FYI.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 10:56

damn too bad u guys are gonna waste your money on this when you cold wait 15 more days and get the pimpin OMNIA

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 11:03

22. vzw fanboy (unregistered)

yea but the storm is revolutionary because of the touchscreen features, may be bad or good, we'll have to see. plus the blackberry storm's screen looks bigger.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 15:59

wait 15 more days and get the pimpin OMNIA...which is not a global phone; true benefit having the STORM is for those who travels internationally and having to keep up with e-mails and wanting the revolutionary phone at the same time. Having played with that device as well as the Storm, OMNIA response time isn't as fast as the Storm, besides, although Storm lack of WIFI, battery time is certainly better than OMNIA.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 19:53

wow ok but for us regular people who don't need a world based phone but still want some cool features withough the $$$$$$$ tag OMNIA is epic touchscreen on storm is not better and windows mobile kid

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 22:13

it does boil down to what you use it for, both are great phones, just the difference between RIM OS and Win OS

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 09:36

83. hacktheplanet (unregistered)

I can be playing with the Storm for those 15 days and if I decide I don't like it, then I can trade it in for the Omnia. Beauty of having 30 days to return the phone.

posted on 11 Nov 2008, 17:58

yea you would be able to exchange it under the 30 days but you would have to be pay a $35 restocking fee!!! but why wouldnt you like the storm. ive played with the omnia and dont get me wrong i love it!! but i think the storm is going to be ten times better!

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 11:02

21. Artytheparty (unregistered)

Id take a Blackberry over a Microsoft loaded Samsung any day!

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 11:27

... even if verizon did put wifi on it (i don't see why they would...) but the cost of the phone would only go up... get this thew your thick skulls people with verizon you HAVE to get a data plan with blackberry, there for you have 3g everywhere! why would verizon wast their time and put wifi on it... common sense anyone?

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 11:46

what exactly is thew??? just curious

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 12:30

Given the context, I believe #30 meant the following: "thew" = through "there for" = therefor "wast" = waste (not waist, that's where you wear your belt.) It is interesting to observe that those who carry on with the most emotion and flames are those who appear to not have graduated 5th grade grammar or spelling. The Internet gives a forum to all. Pity, that.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 16:00

*correction to #35, there for = therefore...forgot the "e" there...LOL..but well done sir

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 19:02

So a person who is priding himself on correcting others and belittling them apparently needs correction himself.... brilliant

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 11:38

I read that Storm will be priced betw $199 and $179 w 2yr commit

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 12:30

30. awilks122279 (unregistered)

That will be awesome if you are correct on your pricing.......

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 13:02

34. Artytheparty (unregistered)

I HIGHLY doubt that. It would be awesome, but... just dont see that happening. The Dare is $250 before rebates. The Storm should have a $70 rebate like the other Blackberries, so Im guessing $350. It does come with a 8GB card too which is a very sweet bonus.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 14:05

the storm is going to be 199 AFTER 70 rebate. btw, 41, all bb's are cheaper than regular high end phones, because of the required $30-45 data plan that has to go on it. It makes it a little easier to swallow.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 20:45

I dont remember where I read this but judging from the article, $300 with 2yr. Meaning and assuming $350 1yr.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 12:47

Will the Storm sync with I-tunes like the Bold?

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 16:02

to satisfy your curiosity, yes it will come with itune sync

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 14:13

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 12:49

Any chance that their going to run out early on the first day!!! I want one, but not sure when I'll get to the store that day.

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 11:23

i hope so... i already have a nice size waiting list for this phone.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 12:58

Why can't you all just talk about the phone and not about each other? It's all just opinions, no need to get all uptight and slander each other...I am guessing that most of you are very young & mostly immature. My "opinion" is that this phone may be BB's response to the iPhone, but I don't know how many business customers it will bring in. Touch screen seems to take more time than actual keys and may frustrate many- it does me. I went from a Centro to a DARE and what a step down for me!! Lesson learned- I will be cautious as I a**ess my need for the Storm as awesome as it appears in the videos etc.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 13:09

35. Figure it Out (unregistered)

No matter what carrier you have RIM requires all Blackberries to have a data plan. So, get over yourselves about the WI-FI. When the Curve is $169 w/2yr there is no way that the Storm is only going to be $179-199.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 15:24

Curve is currently 99 w/ 2yr, pearl is 49, 8830 is 149. So assuming pricing stays this way, I can see the Storm being 199 after rebate. VZW is discounting data-intensive phones because people pay more per month with them than a dumb-phone. I think it's f*ing ridiculous to sell a $600 phone for 50-200 dollars, but I don't make the prices, just sell them.

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 11:13

Why is it ridiculous to sell a phone for a greatly discounted price? The discounted price comes from the carrier when you sign an agreement. The carrier stands to make much more over the term than if they were to sell full priced phones and scare away a customer altogether. When you look at the total package long term and the volume you can bring in for the cheap phones you will see it makes complete sense to sell a $600 retail phone for $200 + 2 year agreement. Also consider the carrier gets the phone for less than retail price so its not like they are forgoing that much money to lure a customer in and keep them for multiple years.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 13:13

36. Artytheparty (unregistered)

Im sure most locations will run out. Alot of us Indirect Reps who work on commission only have huge lists to call on people waiting on this phone.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 15:27

I hope indirect locations get it around the same time as corporate. When the voyager launched last year, our stores didn't get them til almost february. Our huge call list narrowed down a lot by that time.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 19:57

66. Gankburgerinparadise (unregistered)

I doubt indirect will get it around the same time. Most of our locations haven't seen some of the newest phones that the website (and I'm assuming direct stores) advertises at the moment. I haven't heard about any special extra hours or events for the launch so far. I wasn't there for the Voyager launch, but some of my coworkers tell me they're expecting the same kind of thing this time around. Part of the reason that happened before was (according to our VZW rep, so take it with a grain of salt) LG only made about 8/10 of the amount that VZW wanted. Our RIM rep says that won't happen, but I'm expecting to see the phone in our stores no sooner than mid-December. We'll see...as long as we keep getting the cheap phones in, I'm getting paid. Not a whole lot of people buy the premium handsets in my location (*cough cough*....ghetto) as it is.

posted on 29 Oct 2008, 10:53

Im hoping we carry it right away, we had the Voyager the day it came out and sold all 15 before noon. So hopefully the storm will be the same and I heard that its going to be $270 with a $70 and outright is $699

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 13:24

37. meh (unregistered)

Will there be lines for the release? Like, will I have to wait for out overnight to get this phone?

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 13:25

38. jrcrow (unregistered)

lol..VZW!!....Sprint is the same coverage as Sprint..but actually fits the bill with Sprint and VZW gives you an IV to your wallett!

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 14:44

hmm Sprint is the same coverage as Sprint, maybe you want to rethink what you just said

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 22:07

69. X3V3N (unregistered)

That tripped u out too eh?

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 14:02

im sure it will not be more then 199 because of the price of the iphone 3g.

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 14:07

47, its nowhere near the same, go to a vzw store one day. they have comparison maps of every carrier. if you want a good laugh, look at att vs vzw coverage.. att looks like a start up carrier.

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 17:40

Yeah. I'm sure those maps are unbiased and 100% accurate.

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 18:53

Those maps are based on each carriers maps, no carrier changes the other carriers maps nor do they falsify their own.... that's called ILLEGAL.

posted on 28 Oct 2008, 18:57

Right.

posted on 29 Oct 2008, 08:17

or a lawsuit for misrepresentation... which att is going through for their 3g coverage

posted on 27 Oct 2008, 14:08

As a member of the "Information Age", I am totally intrigued at what I have learned in this forum. I didn't learn much about phones, but am reminded that there are some really smart people, really dumb people and as always some really clever people out there. With all the hype the makers of these phones give us, it's too bad we consumers can't stick together to help each other out.