BlackBerry PlayBook demonstrated running Android apps
0. phoneArena 04 May 2011, 09:52 posted on
Using Android apps on the BlackBerry PlayBook is something that RIM promised to us not long ago, and judging by the video below, the Canadians are definitely sticking to their words. In a video demonstration given during BlackBerry World 2011...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Jaymo (unregistered)
I don't think it's 'logical' to eventually support Honeycomb apps. Honeycomb is NOT open source, so RIM will not be able to legalize use any of the Honeycomb support source code to create their own app player.
2. protozeloz (Posts: 5392; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
when honeycomb became not open source?
why not just find a easy port from android to QNX instead?
3. cheetah2k (Posts: 1244; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Honeycomb will be open source just like every other version of Android. The SDK just isn't ready yet for public release (hence why only a select few manufacturers have had access to it).
Google have mentioned this on several occasions. So get your facts straight.
4. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
wait wait wait... a google product is not open? what is the world coming to...
8. protozeloz (Posts: 5392; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
next apple will allow side loading apps....
5. luis_lopez_351 (Posts: 951; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Black berry, We want a RIM/Android hybrid PHONE not a tablet.
9. protozeloz (Posts: 5392; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
RIM has so plans on using QNX on bb any time soon according to rumors, sometimes i wonder it it will get pass the playbook
10. Goldeneye (Posts: 379; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
Now if handsets would run the whole OS, I'd be interested in blackberries, lol
11. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
maybe a hack cud do it... but hoestly why? the only good thing about anroid is the apps, qnx is way better...
12. Goldeneye (Posts: 379; Member since: 22 Jan 2011)
well that's to be seen, but right now the apps, the web browsing, customization, more fun, etc. are hands down on androids side, the only thing blackberry has is the email over Android and that's about it, when QNX finally makes it to phones, Android will be more advanced.
13. protozeloz (Posts: 5392; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
if they have plans on getting it into phones... they worked on the new version of bbos
14. vollick11 (Posts: 8; Member since: 15 Jan 2011)
Rim is ridiculous. There products are consistently under par. There app store is a joke. They need to use other platforms app stores just to make there product decent. Please don't try to say "Well there obviously good because like 30 percent of the smart phone population has one" that doesn't mean anything. All there phones have terrible hardware. Yes, this does have a duel core, im well aware of all the hardware, but there software will slow it down anyway. They have the worst software on mobile devices, FACT.