Biggest iPad Air 2 leak yet shows a remarkably thin design, and Touch ID that fits the iPhone 6 concepts
0. phoneArena 04 Jul 2014, 09:36 posted on
Apple's upcoming iPad Air 2, or whatever they decide to call it, already leaked a few times, but now its chassis is out in full glory, and gets compared with the current king of the iOS tablet range. At first brush, the biggest difference between the two is the rumored inclusion of the Touch ID fingerprint sensor in Apple's tablets for the first time, which is pretty evident in the iPad Air 2 dummy pictured below, and is encircled in the same metallic rim that we saw on the leaked iPhone 6 design pictures today...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
In my opinion Microsoft Surface Pro 3 looks better and is more practical.
4. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
And functionality/performance is 100 000 000 000 000 x better.
21. Iodine (Posts: 1303; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Actually the Surfice Pro 3 is less than 5 times faster than the iPad Air in everything i could find.
27. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Actually the Surfice Pro 3 is less than 5 times faster than the iPad Air..."
And how you measured that?
"...in everything i could find."
And how much did you find since iOS apps =/= Windows programs?
37. Nexus4lifes (Posts: 155; Member since: 13 Feb 2014)
Exactly... surface is confused product impractical for tablet, useless as a laptop...
104. P-YWS (Posts: 88; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
The comparison made is against Surface Pro, not Surface. Your comment pretty much ignore the fact that Surface Pro is both a tablet and a notebook-like computer. In contrast, iPad is truly useless as a laptop ... (replacement, I believe this is what you were trying to say), and a rip-off as an entertainment tablet (I can buy the Android tablet at much lower price, at least, I don't have to pay US$100 plus tax for mere 16GByte of NAND Flash storage!)
105. KillgoreTroutTime (Posts: 433; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
I have a Surface Pro 3 and I really like it, but it shouldn't really be compared to an Ipad. Anyone who likes Ipads and are used to them would more than likely find the Surface Pro 3 to be too big. I freakin love it though. You don't realize how awesome a kickstand on a tablet is until you have one.
8. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
We're not surprised at all, you'd say that. You are notoriously against anything apple after all. Give a more surprising, and shocking post please.
11. DEATHSTROKE9 (Posts: 399; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
+1 until the new nexus 10 arrives, apple has no competition.
51. adwienc (Posts: 136; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
Even when it does, Android tablets are miserable compared to iPad. Not that I'm fan of Apple, but iOS tablet apps are mostly outstanding and offer great functionaltity, while Android tablet apps are just streched from 5 inch screen with no extra features. And iOS apps themselves are level higher than Android.
The only competition for iPad is Surface 3, not in sales, we all know Surface will never sell that good, but its OS, funcionality, hardware and everything make it better than iPad and at least equal.
66. elroy (Posts: 12; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
samsung tab s is it competion...read on young man
13. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
And you are a big Apple Ifanboy.
Completely off topic kid, stay on the topic and provide answer's to why he's wrong. if he dislikes Apple, wth is it to you, and why are you burning and being a jelly? O wait, your iFruit company charges you so much for a subpar featureless product, which you are paying the same price for a SP2.
Know listen kid, stop causing and looking for trouble.
Surely you name does suit your profile and the person you are.
And we don't complain if you like young underage 16 years old girls you perv paedophile.
18. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Hey long time arte, where have you been?
BTW iPads rock, hands down the best tablet experience and I'm a fandroid.
28. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I'm cool SEN
Busy working 7days aweek, 12 hours aday.
Love Android to. And XDA and Ubuntu CM11 and Resurrection Rom, Siyah Kernels.
26. sipha (Posts: 434; Member since: 12 May 2012)
After the "Know listen kid" your comment just got so0o dumb..
29. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
You've been here for 2years and your not an observed guy, knowing who is what in here.
Dumb? It's the truth, even he admits and said it himself.
41. JunitoNH (Posts: 1608; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Maybe you need to learn how to spell, before you start hurling insult at people, but again you are a typical Android fan.
44. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
He can't even spell pedophile lol, yet he keeps saying it. Dudes an idiot man. +1
81. steedsofwar (unregistered)
Actually, his is the correct spelling. Your's is wrong.
49. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
That's how I write
If I have the time, I will write affulently
I'm not here to insult others. That Darkkjedii admits on his guilts. So I'm pointing out he's insecurity.
I'm no Android fan, but love Android. There's a difference.
Your sick and I'll. He's the one who kicks off and goes off topic, never does he shows he's interested on what others got to say. He's the one who started the flame war, the classic troll.
59. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
If you have time, you should definitely re type post #49. Horrible grammar man, horrible I tell ya. "Your sick and I'll."
"I'm not here to insult others. That Darkkjedii admits on his guilts. So I'm pointing out he's insecurity". His insecurities, not he's insecurity. Dude, you gotta do better in your attempts to insult me...please? Insulting me, and coming off like a 6 year old, while doing so makes you look uneducated. My middle aged wife, saggy wife, yatta yatta yatta, camp out this and that. C'mon man, please do better. At least spell correctly.
43. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Your acct began 3-13-14, so you haven't been here 2 yrs. oh wait, you have, you're TrollTM. Don't think we don't know that.
34. Iodine (Posts: 1303; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Completely off topic sir, as if he is an Apple fanboy is it to you ? I would like to also remind you that people typically aren't hating "subpar featureless products" sir.
PS: I didn't know Jedi were so diehard Apple fans.
50. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Read post 8
He started to insult Phonearenauser
He went off topic
20. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
It is not because I don't like Apple as a company it is because I more like Microsoft Surface Pro 3 than iPad Air 2.
36. Iodine (Posts: 1303; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
Are you implying you don't like it even before it's released ?
46. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
PAU, please explain how you like an already released tablet, more than one that's not out. This is why we consider you the prototypical apple hater. Yes you have knowledge, unlike Arte-3862 who's simply looking for attention, but why this obsessed hatred of apple?
54. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Because Apple are patent trolls and wants to eliminate all others.
Doctorism dictatorship and wants to dictate
60. darkkjedii (Posts: 19735; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You're not PAU, or should I say your not pau, that's how you'd type it Arte-3862.
69. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"PAU, please explain how you like an already released tablet, more than one that's not out. "
Because there is a few essential things which are already understandable even before official announcement:
1) It is not a secret that iPad Air 2 will be running iOS 8 which is not even in the same level as Windows 8.1 Professional. Productivity, count of applications and everything else stands on Windows 8.1 Professional side not on iOS 8. I think that you don't have to be a IT specialist to understand that. iOS 8 vs Windows 8.1 Professional - it is like a David and Goliath fight.
2) Talking about hardware, I think that it is already clear that iPad Air 2 CPU will not be such powerful as Intel Core i3, i5 or especially i7. And even more, I think that it is safe to say that iPads will not have such CPUs in the near future. Same situation with RAM memory or internal storage (max. RAM on Surface Pro 3 is 8 GB and max. internal storage is 512 GB.) Other things which are also clear that iPad Air 2 won't have such things like Full-size USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort. What about something like Surface Pen on iPad Air 2? I don't think so! What about Multi-position Kickstand? I don't think so also!
I think that the biggest disadvantage of Microsoft Surface Pro 3 is a high price. :(
17. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Have you used or owned the surface in real life. If not then don't hype it like a shill. Surface pro 2 had some serious problems. I have used it for a while.
25. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Have you used or owned the surface in real life."
Yes, I have used it.
"Surface pro 2 had some serious problems."
Yes there was some serious problems with Surface Pro 2 but now we are talking about Surface Pro 3 not Surface Pro 2.
53. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Don't get excited with laptops that are only good on paper. My friend has an iPad air and its excellent for gaming and other entertainment stuff, where your Surface fails miserably. And if i need productivity I would simply get a cheap laptop.
30. Withtechfriends (Posts: 20; Member since: 29 Mar 2014)
They aren't even remotely the same thing. Not to mention they aren't the same size at all, lets compare a MacBook Pro 13 inch to the Surface 3. Yeah, not running windows 8.1, it already wins.
32. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Yeah, not running windows 8.1, it already wins."
I think opposite.
55. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
He's got a point there, OS X is currently superior to Win8 except apps and games.
62. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
There are different products. pcs and macs.
apple are for casual users. people too dumb or too young or too old or whatever who can't be bothered to clean the registry, to configure stuff, to fine tune, etc.i can't imagine any good reason to spend 4x the amount of money on a Mac.
63. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
I use both for work, am currently typing on a Macbook that I've brought with me to work at home, and while I'm now used to both, here are my thoughts:
Battery life - the Macbook claims to have a great battery life, but the one on this Macbook is around 30-45 minutes, and that's if I'm lucky - I can't carry a replacement battery around to extend the life because of Apple's "glued in" parts - even in sleep mode the battery goes down 25% in an hour journey home!
Keyboard - Apple believe that everybody should be American, as the @ is above 2 and the " is above the ', while on an English keyboard the " is above 2, and @ above ' - when you're used to touch typing (as I am) this can be a REAL pain in the butt!!!
Lack of upgradability - on a Windows/Linux machine you can say "I don't have enough hard drive/RAM" and upgrade it easily, while on a Mac they say "you should have bought that spec"
Lack of standards - it seems like Apple change the standards of their port every year or so - try looking at the monitor ports, they seem to change the configuration every edition, while other manufacturers happily stuck with VGA & HDMI - try finding which cable you need for a Mac without knowing the EXACT edition of your machine
Price of EVERYTHING - there is a running joke that Mac owners can do anything that Windows users can "with a $50 cable" - upgrade of RAM (if you can do it) seems to cost 4-5 times more than other manufacturers, and if you put non-Apple memory in and have a problem, then the Apple store (or service) will blame the non-Apple products even if the issue is non-related "your screen is dead? must be the 3rd party RAM you installed"
Desktop - apps just don't go full screen, the app bar is ALWAYS visible and takes up a chunk of the screen, not to mention that there is no simple way to say "maximize this app", the green ball seems to just push it vertically to fit, and you then have to stretch it to full width, while Windows allows you to double click on the title bar and it'll change its display state
Touch controls - this is something I really like for scrolling, apart from when you swipe at slightly the wrong angle, and instead of scrolling it takes you Back/Forwards in the browser history
Power options - natively a Mac will ALWAYS sleep if you close the lid - there isn't a default option to say "when I close the lid only turn the screen off" - walking around the office I don't want to wait for my laptop to have to wake up & then login, I want to be where I left it - you have to install another (non App Store) app to get it to do it - this seems like a basic option to me!
Hard drive compatibility - Apple claim that a Mac can read & write to a Windows hard drive (as long as it's the right format), but this is far from true - half of the time you can only read and not write, or when you plug the drive back into the Windows machine you have to "scan & fix" it - how is this "compatibility"?
Piece Of $hite Mac
102. syncronyze (Posts: 103; Member since: 26 Apr 2014)
"Battery life - the Macbook claims to have a great battery life, but the one on this Macbook is around 30-45 minutes, and that's if I'm lucky"
Must be something wrong if you're only getting that much out of your Macbook, or you're just exaggerating. I own a 2010 Macbook (Unibody, not Pro) and I get easily 5-6 hours out of it still with moderate usage, like playing small games like Peggle, watching live streams, going on Soundcloud, typing papers, etc.
"Power options - natively a Mac will ALWAYS sleep if you close the lid - there isn't a default option to say "when I close the lid only turn the screen off"
You're one of the only people I hear complaining about closing a laptop and not wanting it to sleep...? You don't have to log in when you open it up again, and there's always screen savers if you don't want to close your laptop...?
"Desktop - apps just don't go full screen, the app bar is ALWAYS visible and takes up a chunk of the screen"
Right click the bar and select "Turn Hiding On". Easily solved.
"Hard drive compatibility - Apple claim that a Mac can read & write to a Windows hard drive (as long as it's the right format)"
I don't think they claimed that. Above all else, if the hard drive is formatted as FAT32, there's an application to allow you to read / write to that drive.
"Lack of standards - it seems like Apple change the standards of their port every year or so"
They do that because some people don't need VGA. It also slims down the laptop so it's not a huge ugly brick.
You're just being melodramatic.
103. Ninetysix (Posts: 2339; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Almost spit my water out when I read 30-45 mins of battery life. LOL..Surely you jest? PEBKAC.
71. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
First you say:
"OS X is currently superior to Win8.."
And then you say:
"...except apps and games."
And that's means that you are contradicting yourself!
77. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
And does more work than the iPad.
2. Astoni (Posts: 649; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
The question is, should i upgrade my ipad or buy a Samsung galaxy pro 12.2 ..
5. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Buy a Windows machine.
But if one of those then SSGPRO12.2
10. Astoni (Posts: 649; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Sorry man, I'm okay with the lumia 520 for work and my PC for gaming and Videorendering/Photoediting :p. But i think i'll go with the Pro since it has a larger display and Ipad tend to not bring much new in just one Gen leap :p.
35. karamelakimo (Posts: 109; Member since: 26 May 2014)
i think ipad air still a great tablet till nw ;)
61. wilsong17 (unregistered)
WiFi suck so much on a iPad and they are slow as feck
94. Sreddy (unregistered)
maybe your connection sucks, i have no problem to date. please makes sure its not a chinese or some clone youre not using.
3. Mihajlo (Posts: 7; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
In my opinion nothing new same design and small bit thinner and to be honest i think tablets are waste, Too big to carry and use it as a phone in some cases. You have phones that are big enough to replace tablets.
6. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Wow. First person with same opinion as I do. Tablets are just stretched out phones. Not practical at all. And functionality will never be on the level of Windows or Mac.
19. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3689; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Tablets were never meant to replace laptops..... Tablets are needed and they are awesome for media consumption and entertainment. Also the last time I remember, you supported Z2 tablet...
24. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I don't remember that. Yes it looks beautiful and probably is good for a tablet. But would never buy one. And if I got one free, I would sell it without opening the package.
7. nctx77 (Posts: 1700; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Your comment is so 2010 dude. You and skeptics from 2010 have been shut down over the years. Welcome to 2014. Tablets are in between devices for people that can afford them. They are not a necessity. They are great if you can afford one. I use mine 90% of the time when I'm at home while the computer sits.
9. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I just cannot see a use for a tablet. Some may. But I don't. Will never buy one. At least if they stay how they are now.
38. Iodine (Posts: 1303; Member since: 19 Jun 2014)
You can browse the web, read books, listen to music, watch movies, play games, and million of other things depending on what you will download. And take all of that everywhere and last for hours.
79. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3535; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Browsing the web better on PC. Movies better on TV. Games are horrible on mobile. Plus I can't just take a tablet anywhere. I'll need a bag for it. Might as well just take an ultrabook. Smartphone at least goes into the pocket.