Big, huge, bigger: giant LG Optimus Vu officially announced, supports a stylus
0. phoneArena 19 Feb 2012, 04:49 posted on
The LG Optimus Vu has been officially unveiled by LG days before MWC, the biggest show dedicated to phones and the mobile industry, kicks off…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. WWThinker (Posts: 44; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Even the display is at 5.3", the 16:10 aspect ratio still allows me to put the Samsung Note into the front pocket of my jeans. I respect the attempt by LG to be different, this one has low resolution (or pixel per inch) and is too big to be put into the pocket of my jeans. Bad design for mobile computing!!
4. Striker (Posts: 92; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Wow! You gotta have pretty large jeans! Lol!
53. WWThinker (Posts: 44; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
I bought my jeans at Costco (USA). Galaxy Note fits in OK. I could sit in chairs and sofa. I have no doubt that the 4.7" or 4.3" phone would leave more room. But, I am pretty sure that this 4:3 LG phone won't fit into the front pocket of my jeans or else, I won't be able to drive or sit without first removing the LG from the pocket. I admired the courage of designers who chose this form-factor but I don't believe that one can carry this LG Optima Vu without either a larger-size pocket in the pant or a carrying bag. Because screen size beyond 4.7" is by default a compromise between the very portable (
8. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
it actualy has 256 ppi, and it is too wide imo
36. cellphonator (Posts: 298; Member since: 29 Oct 2011)
You shouldn't keep your cell phone in your pants pocket anyway. It's unhealthy.
3. Stinger2U (Posts: 16; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
This phone actually looks great. Just not really sure how will it fit in the hand since it's very wide. But I will never by an LG phone again( i have the optimis 3d), not since the ghost call issue that this phone is suffering from ever since it was updated to gingerbread.
9. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2015; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
After the LG thrill... I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER LG PHONE AGAIN!!
45. abhishek48 (Posts: 164; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
I have a Lg Thrill 4g and samsung galaxy s2, frankly speaking lg thrill is as powefull as gs2, but i am disappointed that still its on froyo in USA.. the performance is good.. but this upgrade is much needed, when every one talking about ICS, thrill is still on froyo ... i heard it gor updated to GB in Europe buy has ghost call issue... i love the 3d on it.. if lg makes a successful update to GB in USA, i will buy the new 3d2 also... but without upgrade.. NO... the phone has super performance and powerful specs.. and 3DDD... but froyo is letting it down
49. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
As far as I'm informed optimus 3d 2nd edition will have ICS on it, or mb GB but it will be upgraded to ICS
57. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
hi i have an LG Optimus 3D and i updated it to Gingerbread already. Im from Singapore. i also had the ghost call issue but it was solved by simply factory resetting the phone
5. shadez10 (Posts: 408; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
if nokia was like apple.. they would have sued LG because the O.VU looks like the lumia 900...
but that phone looks ugly... SG.note is till better... :D
6. longhairbilly (Posts: 64; Member since: 23 Aug 2010)
Another phone launching with Ginerbread..
10. bayusuputra (Posts: 946; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
i have a feelings a lot more stylus supporting phoneblets are coming.. and i sense quite a portion of customers will be drawn to stylus phoneblets..
12. GalaxyOptimus (Posts: 23; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
I like LG's Phones but.... What the heck is that?
43. Henrik (Posts: 141; Member since: 18 Feb 2012)
It's weird, I give you that, but I actually like it :-) A bit too big for me though, since I never carry around a satchel, manpurse or handbag. But if I did, I might have considered it :-)
46. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1060; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Since it's weird i could see Sprint picking this up. They have a habit of picking up the odd phones in hopes of it turning out to be a huge hit.
13. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
well if you dont mind the fact that it is soo wide, it is quite good imo, because this aspect ratio is great for web browsing and for games it only sucks for movies
30. gaby1451 (Posts: 113; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Why is that by the way? (the aspect ratio not being good for watching movies)
34. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
because all modern movies are made in 16:9 and this is 4:3 so there will be some black lines around the movies when you watch it
14. frydaexiii (Posts: 1241; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Um, is that square thing supposed to be the LG Optimus Vu? Cos it is U-G-L-Y
15. TC_Mits (Posts: 3; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
A 2amp battery is NOT huge for an LTE phone with this much IPS display. But, an IPS display @720 will be truer and sharper than a PenTile RGBW, like the one on the D4, would be @1080.
What I want to know is, does it support SD cards? On a screen this big and this good, I want my Bogart .AVI flix on the phone. No need to get throttled for watching or re-watching movies on my phone that I already own.
18. k1ng617 (Posts: 264; Member since: 13 Oct 2009)
What's the word I'm looking for? Ohhh yah, HIDEOUS!
19. breathlesstao (Posts: 78; Member since: 16 Apr 2010)
"we kept on wondering whether such a huge device can really become the mainstream"
...are you nuts? Since when have such "huge" devices been WANTING to become mainstream at all??? @.@ 5 and above are just targeted at certain layers; even 4.7" ones are pretty much over in the "big" area, as opposed to the "general" one.
32. TC_Mits (Posts: 3; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
true. but it's the size of the phone that counts -- not the display. a 5" screen would fit easily on a handset the size of the D4, if it had less bezel -- or none at all, like the "Vanquish" prototype.
21. spicythecoolboy (Posts: 3; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
lg once agian fails......................................
22. SGSII (Posts: 53; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Then what is a 4.5 inch screen. I have an epic 4g touch. I just got it last week. I already love the screen size! don't you think the next generation of smartphones will have much bigger screens?? To fit our huge needs...
23. Guest_star (Posts: 231; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
For all of you who complain that this thing has low ress screen compared to Note, let me just say this: this screen uses RGB matrice thus it has 768 subpixels per inch compared to 570 that note has so picture on this minitab will be sharper and it will have better color reproduction, not speaking of saturation here because IPS has realistic colors and OLED's tend to oversaturate them, and let's hope LG has done something to make the blacks on VU as close to OLED blaks as they possibly could
28. squallz506 (banned) (Posts: 1075; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Cosign. The vu has a sharper and brighter screen than te note. And I always prefer tips LCD to samoled.
24. trumpet116 (Posts: 27; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
If these sizes are the future of the best non-iphone handsets, Android is going to lose a lot of people to iOS simply because they can't handle 4.5+ screens comfortably...
26. bayhuy (Posts: 312; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
4.7 inch is the max for me. Patiently waiting for One X.
29. A.aoudi (Posts: 125; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Looks more refined then the note. Good approach by LG JUST hope it was quad core
31. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
User Reaction About this Phone
: Ugly s**t
: LG gone mad
: Crap, Nonsense
: what the..?
: Nice try, let's see
: Niche Market
: Don't Like
: Won't fit in pocket
This is why i prefer PhoneArena, there are some common sense users/comments/writers.
47. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Douchebags are everywhere...look into topics about apple/android..if you find any common sense...it will be a miracle!
33. TC_Mits (Posts: 3; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
telephones are boooring.
A usable pocket computer with a quality camera and a functioning phone as built-in accessories:
What a CONCEPT!
35. cellphonator (Posts: 298; Member since: 29 Oct 2011)
I agree, just hope that the 'functioning phone' actually functions when you really need to call for an emergency. To me the capability of calling, meaning good antenna, strong signal and fewer dropped phone call, is still king on a cellphone and I don't want to sacrifice it for other features.
This as a general rule, not referring to this big LG.
38. pkiran1996 (Posts: 165; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
This is basically a rip-off of the Samsung Galaxy Note, simple. It's also not a coincidence that LG's Optimus UI looks almost exactly like TouchWiz...not to mention that they've implemented their own equivalent to the S Memo app found on the Galaxy Note. I hope Samsung sue them...
42. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 805; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
You probably won't see that happen, for the reason that Samsung doesn't or won't backstab nor pull down their own compatriots.
55. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
Actually, if u go by history, Samsung copied LG foe their ui. the LG ui looked like they way it is now since e cookie and LG has been using it ever since. Samsung has been using a older ui which only had 3 docks below. Samsung also copied this from LG. the first LG touch screens had tt 3 app dock below first. later LG changed it to what it looks like now while Samsung continued using e old 3app dock ui. samsung only changed the design of touchwiz well after LG changed theirs. now i know u might not believe me, but tt is e truth. so if anyone is to be suing, it should be LG suing Samsung. the reason why ppl think LG copied Samsung is because Samsung has sold more phones than LG
39. chapizzo (Posts: 116; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
in all fairness, how is that supposed to be used as phone? Are you supposes to hold it with two hands while you make a call?
40. Technoholik (Posts: 5; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Go f**k urself @prashant_93....it is clear that u cant even afford a entry level smartphone just suck ur a*s....otherwise i will tear off ur as**ole....
48. SleepingOz (unregistered)
what did he say?
41. zach1994 (Posts: 1; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
phone sizes are becoming ridiculus, how is anyone supposed to carry this around with them?
44. Bowingchu (Posts: 4; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
This is what I don't get. They are telling the American cell phone users about this phone that going to Korea. But there's no news that it's coming to America. Then what the hell is the point of letting us know if we aren't even going to get it? Stupid idiots.
51. SleepingOz (unregistered)
This is a site about the latest phone technology. And as you probably don't know, technology is UNIVERSAL!
Like it or not, they're doing their job and they're doing it well.
You're the only stupid idiot here!
58. Nizar (Posts: 4; Member since: 30 Dec 2011)
Not to mention that this site is also for the whole world and not only the US. And there are readers from the around the globe that are interested in the new offerings of technology.
59. chapizzo (Posts: 116; Member since: 13 Sep 2011)
i can see you are one of the not so intelligent Americans. If you want the phone, you can still get it shipped in from where ever.
52. remixfa (Posts: 14226; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
they just seem.. uninspired. and the 1024 resolution on the fatboy is going to cause display issues with incompatible apps.
56. u-suck-more (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
Well i guess one thing can be said about the design, its love it or hate it