Big Apple to turn old payphones into Wi-Fi HotSpots
0. phoneArena 11 Jul 2012, 16:36 posted on
The cellular age made New York City's payphone booths a thing of the past and finally, the Big Apple has decided what to do with them; The city is going to convert the payphones into Wi-Fi HotSpots that both visitors and residents can use...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Brewski (Posts: 123; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
Um, I'm confused. Is 13,0000 = Thirteen thousand (13,000) or One Hundred and Thirty thousand (130,000)?
17. Synack (Posts: 669; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Wouldn't that be funny for The Doc and Marty to come to 2012 from the past and try to use a payphone just to find out it's an internet hotspot for devices that don't even know what they are!
22. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 305; Member since: 03 May 2012)
hahahahah who would think of that..... ROFL
2. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4526; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
This is a GREAT idea. Leave it to the BIG APPLE a.k.a NYC to make the most of what they got. I love it so much. This is good news to all New Yorkers.
I love the Empire State.
9. MobileCaseReview (Posts: 242; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Yeah, I doubt this is going to happen in Los Angeles any time soon. The amount of ground LA covers is so vast compared to NYC.
13. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1677; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
OH NO, Are you going to see King Kong there?
16. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4526; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
You kidding me right? Where are you from so I can pick a monster that most likely would be from your neck of the woods.
You still bent out of shape with that Godzilla thing? Didn't other people say to you that you were over reacting?
Now today you are really going to bring that up? lol
20. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
haha he actually followed u here to remind you of what you said about Godzilla in china?? haha
now thats funny...
somebody dislikes you......... uh oh! lol
21. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4526; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I am by no means racist but the people who call out people like that are usually racist.
It was a funny joke & I don't know if he knows but Godzilla IS from Japan. I meant no harm but I guess I must be that important to him to follow me & keep talking about it. lol
Should I call him racist for the King Kong comment, I mean he did EXACTLY the same thing I did. Right? lol
3. akita256 (Posts: 80; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
Yeh, Brewshi, once again...........an article on PA needs proof-reading before being published.
6. inertiatic (Posts: 29; Member since: 29 May 2012)
I see what you did there, with spelling his name wrong.
4. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
yes... now this is innovation... :-)
every state should do this...
10. Republican (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
What? Why? No, we are broke. More handouts to lazy welfare bums who want everything for free? Absolutely not.
19. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol... thats pretty much what android gets you... a work around for anything that costs $$$ to have it for free...
5. JC557 (Posts: 1216; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
As someone born and raised in NYC this is a great idea as we could always use Wifi now that Unlimited Data is on its way out. However it would be wise to leave quite a few payphones in place as I've seen many still using them, by people whose phones have died, those that can't afford or don't have cell phones, subway riders, and when something happens where cell service is knocked out (black out of 2003 or 9/11).
23. SonyFTW2020 (Posts: 305; Member since: 03 May 2012)
yea man i mean do some but not ALLL you cant just replace things becuase you feel it is in best interest for certain people... Like you said others still use the payphones so you would to leave some for them!! come on new york...
7. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
Now, that's an amazing idea!!! Thumbs up, NYC!!!
8. Republican (Posts: 99; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
More squandering of taxpayer resources. Wifi must be completely deregulated and provided only to those who can pay for it. The worst part is, it will atract poor and unwashed people in troves.
14. Jay_F (Posts: 236; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
You're honestly saying that WiFi will attract bums? Do you have any idea how stupid you sound right now?
18. Whateverman (Posts: 3233; Member since: 17 May 2009)
He has no idea how stupid he sounds. Let's just thumb him down until he disappears.
12. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1677; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Pfff Kiefer Sutherland aka Jack Bauer was the star what are you smoking
15. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6891; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
This is awesome. now i don't have to walk inside a Mc Donalds and I never go to Starbucks anyway. going to try it out when i visit my cousin