Beyond the touchscreen: voice, gestures, mind control?
0. phoneArena 18 Apr 2013, 09:01 posted on
Some say the touchscreen, as a direct contact method, is the last input paradigm mankind has reached on the quest for interaction with our gadgets, and, at least for the foreseable future, that seems to be true, barring the leaps and bounds currently undergoing in voice and gesture navigation. Of course, we'd rather prefer an even more direct connection like mind control, but more on that later...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
Actually some of the next generation of alternative input methods are already here with samsung galaxy smart phones... But, Too bad they come with mediocre build quality...
7. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Other than voice input and gestures that has to do with the proximity sensor and the front facing camera, i don't see no other 'next-generation' input method that comes with the S4. And i think those methods are applicable to most smartphones available now
16. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
The eye scrolling feature, although not completely on the S4, is supposed to come in a software update in time for KLP. The S3 and note 2 won't be getting this, the Note 3 is rumoured to have the eye scrolling feature shown in the video above and will probably be the first Samsung handset to do so, this will likely trickle down to future Samsung handsets of mid range sizes and larger. IMO the Note 3 will clearly be the Mercedes S600 of Samsung's range, the S4 is pretty much the base model flagship, the Mega 6.3 should have ideally been the Maybach, the model which sits above the Note and added even more unique features.
18. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Again, the eye scrolling is a gesture that's supposed to come with the front facing camera. I didn't mention it particularly, but when i said gestures that has to do with the front facing camera, it pretty much summed it up.
13. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
What, man its no where near. Those stuff can only be seen on Hollywood, Check out ironman, star trek, star wars. Damn!!
15. MistB (Posts: 581; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
Iron man concept phone, youtube it. The transparent 3D one, that is the future 8 years from now.
2. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Creepy! But Awesome! :)
9. ZeroCide (Posts: 714; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
Its all fun untill the device starts controling your mind.
3. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Nice article Daniel P, like Micheal H™
6. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3135; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Don't you think implanting a micro device to the mind to connect with the mobile device is kind of creepy??
I won't indulge myself in that kind of connectivity no matter how futuristic it may sound, feel and look.
4. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
I think much of this is right on. Touch is the last version of our touch enabled world. Though i would like to note that even in fictional worlds like Star Trek where they used voice for many things, they also had physical input surfaces for all kinds of things. Thus touch may be the last as other techs become much more useful but it will still provide benefit in the future.
5. recond9 (Posts: 50; Member since: 11 Jan 2013)
Speaking about phones and tablets,the touch way is by far the best method,is more natural,intuitive and easy.
Controlling it by mind would make things weird and boring,in my opinion.
8. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
*inserts mind control* Step awaaay from the iPhone and step towaaarrds the Android :-O
11. apexKBC (Posts: 92; Member since: 10 Dec 2012)
See the revolution in technology years after years.
I cant imagine what it would be after 100 years.
one word ->BEYOND Thinking
12. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 414; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Soon, we'll be able to watch our dreams/thoughts on video *evil smile*
14. Altsuffi (Posts: 1; Member since: 18 Apr 2013)
This is the best article in PhoneArena that I have ever seen! Keep writing these kind of articles with a lot of text and with videos! Hopefully we will get to that point like in Star Trek, it would be cool.
17. Timmehor (Posts: 599; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
It's amazing what the big tech companies are designing, building and creating in their laboratories, I hope these sought of technologies come ASAP. It's amazing. It will benefit medical technology/treatment, business, social, and living as a whole. Touch screens are the future!
20. cameogt (Posts: 88; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
i would like to see flying cars. that would be cool!