Beyond LTE (Part 2): From AMPS to LTE
0. phoneArena 03 Jan 2013, 03:18 posted on
In the first part of our Beyond LTE series, we told you about how it all began - with the birth of the mobile radio telephone and the very first mobile network systems like MTS in the US and the Russian Altay...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. joseph98 (Posts: 167; Member since: 03 Feb 2012)
Very interesting story. Can't wait for the true 4G
2. rihel_95 (Posts: 211; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Forget True 4G, in India, we don't even get proper 3G connections everywhere, so, 2G still rules here.
3. IamTheGodfatherofCell (Posts: 33; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I would love to see what is true 4G service....is it the highly touted 100 mbps that no carrier even got close to acheiving?
12. speed4evr (Posts: 79; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Pretty much. LTE-Advanced will provide theoretical speeds of 100Mbps down. ATT stated in December of 2012 they're launching LTE-Advanced this year...Sprint /Clearwire and VZW will laucn LTE-Advanced over the next year or so.
5. tech23 (Posts: 10; Member since: 22 Dec 2012)
Im here in Canada using 3g phone and my friend has LTE phone and the speed is almost the same ..what a joke
6. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7724; Member since: 14 May 2012)
In the US, AT&T's LTE hits speeds of over 45mbps in Chicago on average. Although its severely overkill, that's quite impressive.
7. osorto40 (Posts: 13; Member since: 11 Nov 2012)
Only about 30 percent of the population gets those speeds everyone else is still stuck on 2g or 3g
11. Riven (Posts: 25; Member since: 25 May 2012)
These data limits are gonna be a problem...if you can pull 50+ mbs down and you only have a 2GB MONTHLY limit (before throttling as AT&T will do even on "unlimited plans") i wonder what will happen
13. speed4evr (Posts: 79; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Im always over 2 GB on 3G even with WiF, gotta love having unlimited with Sprinti. But the data limits are very disproportionate compared to the speeds especially with streaming, large games/apps.
10. Riven (Posts: 25; Member since: 25 May 2012)
This is a great piece Ray S. take a bow, i'm thoroughly enjoy this :)
14. TheTruthSquad (Posts: 8; Member since: 31 Dec 2012)
I am going to dump VZW when my contract expires. I have had numerous complaints before I switched to VZW. When will T-Moble get 4G-LTE and will it be an increase in speed over what I have now?"
15. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
probably never buddy...T-Mobile can play all of the 4G commercials they want but their name is synonymous w/terrible reception. their first move should be to improve basic calling let alone expanding to LTE. paying pennies for the best is a fairytale...don't know anything in any market that works like that.